1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Where to start to optimize a forum?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Loque, Aug 18, 2019.

I own a MyBB forum. I have installed SEO plugin to make it user friendly and to have a sitemap.
    These are the features:

• Google SEO 404:
      • Error pages return HTTP 404 Not Found (and others) instead of 200 OK
      • Custom 404 error pages
      • Google's 404 widget
    • Google SEO Meta:
      • description meta tags for forums / threads / etc.
      • specify canonical pages
      • nofollow links
    • Google SEO Redirect:
      • redirect old URLs to new URLs (or vice versa)
      • avoid URL breakage and double content
    • Google SEO Sitemap:
      • dynamic generation of XML Sitemaps
      • search engines find your content without crawling
    • Google SEO URL:
    • Keyword URLs (e.g. Thread-Some-Subject instead of showthread.php?tid=12345)
    • UTF-8 in URLs is supported
    • Customizable URL styles
    How to proceed to make the forum raise the position on the search engines? Can I do it without hiring a person?
    Except to continue to add quality contents of course.
    I notice that is often online Google and other SE bots but it is not meaning my forum raise positions.

Loque, Aug 18, 2019 IP
  2. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It hard.
    You need backlinks and good content.
    WHen was the last time you seen a forum ranking well in Google's search results?

Agent000, Aug 18, 2019 IP
  3. Loque

Loque Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Why forums are collapsing?

Loque, Aug 18, 2019 IP
  4. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc. But this one (DP) is still holding firm, in fact it's better than it once was. Less scammers, spammers, trolls...though not quite as busy. Quality over quantity and I know which one I prefer.;)

Spoiltdiva, Aug 18, 2019 IP
  5. Loque

Loque Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    As I thought. It's so sad, forums are great.
    So it's a waste of money to buy backlinks or hiring someone to get visitors that write on a forum?

Loque, Aug 18, 2019 IP
  6. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Buying backlinks always was a waste of money, nothing's changed there.

malky66, Aug 19, 2019 IP
  7. Loque

Loque Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Which is the way so? I should abandon my forum or I can do something to make it brilliant? :)

Loque, Aug 19, 2019 IP
  8. johneva

johneva Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    SEO on forums is very limited in the sense you have little control over what content is posted, that's down to the users on your forum. You can of course ensure you have good site structure, template that's well optimized and well-structured titles & descriptions. A good way to boost the domain trust is to have an area with content you have control over by adding in supporting content which has value to users of your site.

Ultimately what will define the success of a forum is its users, so it is important to ensure there is a demand for the type of forum you're making and get it out to as many people as you can as quick as you can, social marketing can work well for this, advertising on sites that are related. For example if you're making a forum about radio-controlled cars/boats/planes, then advertise on sites who sell such products to gain users. Try to join clubs on Facebook and twitter and mention your forum on there to get more users.

johneva, Aug 19, 2019 IP
  9. Loque

Loque Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    For a forum what could be an area with content I have control? For example a forum section where I'm the only to write? Or a blog attached to the forum?
    Also, woorank is a good service to save money repairing/setting up the SEO side of the site?

Loque, Aug 19, 2019 IP
  10. mrb1129

mrb1129 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The best thing you can do for a forum is to grow some activity and stop trying to rank it in the SERP's. They are very hard to rank. You may have a quality topic on your forum with atleast 10 replies with much useful and actionable content but still a blog with very low quality information will outrank you.

Get activity. And search engine will come around.

mrb1129, Aug 19, 2019 IP
  11. Loque

Loque Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Please could you explain what do you mean to "get activity"? As maybe is the fact that i'm not english motherlanguage that I don't understand.

Loque, Aug 20, 2019 IP
  12. mrb1129

mrb1129 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It means get activity in the forum. Build content as much as you can. Articles, discussion etc. See your forum through the eyes of an outsider and ask yourself this question 'why would you join your forum?'. People don't join a forum because it has a great theme or it is good looking, people join a forum because it has great content.

mrb1129, Aug 20, 2019 IP
  13. Loque

Loque Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Ok guys I'll work on it.
    I'm just so disappointed for Google that not gives the same importance to forums as blogs etc. That's sad cause forums are cool.
    I hope something will change in the future, for example social less apreciated than forums. :D

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    Loque, Aug 20, 2019 IP
  14. MasterA

MasterA Active Member

Best Answers:
    As some people has mentioned, the issue with forums is that you can't control what content members post. Most people on forums start a thread with just one or two lines of content and then each reply is like one or two lines. Content wise, its a lot lower quality than blogs. An alternative is to have a blog on your forum and hire article writers to write high quality SEO Optimized content. This will help you drive traffic to your forum if you can rank the blog articles. This come down to the next point which is building high quality backlinks. You will need to build backlinks in order to increase the rankings of your articles. I do want to mention that there are some large forums that rank well on Google but I rarely see small forums rank well.

MasterA, Aug 22, 2019 IP