1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Armchair Dining on DP

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by jrbiz, Mar 13, 2015.

1. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    A couple of weeks ago, there was an ad on TV about a new product from the Reese's peanut butter cup people. It was for Reese's Thins and I immediately mentioned to my wife that I would probably like them because it meant a bit more chocolate and a bit less sweet peanut butter filling per bite:

reesesthinssm.jpg

And, it turns out that I was right: I really like these candies, perhaps even more than the original peanut butter cups. Worth a try!

jrbiz, Jul 29, 2019 IP
  2. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    This will never work oh diet king because you will simply end up eating more of them due to their small size.:rolleyes:

Spoiltdiva, Jul 29, 2019 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  3. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    This was not about diet and/or calories. This was about the Thins tasting better than the original sized peanut butter cups. I would have neither were I on a diet. Thankfully, Sunday was not a day of dieting. ;)

jrbiz, Jul 29, 2019 IP
  4. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    There in lies the problem oh dietless one. Because they are so much better you soon will be on a diet.:rolleyes:

Spoiltdiva, Jul 29, 2019 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  5. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    You are prophetic. I am back on the darn diet. :mad:

jrbiz, Jul 30, 2019 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  6. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    I believe in you.....you will lose the weight.:)

Spoiltdiva, Jul 30, 2019 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  7. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Ciao, come va? Eh!....How comme you no talka more about Italian food? Attsa matta for you eh? Mamma mia da Italian food, she's da best food of all! What you no wanna talk about da Italian food?.....Ah shuta you face!:rolleyes:

Spoiltdiva, Aug 18, 2019 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  8. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    We just went out for Italian food last night. It was at a local Olive Garden restaurant which is an Italian chain that I was first exposed to many years ago in Detroit. That was a great one, as have been a few others that I have visited around the country. Unfortunately, the one that is nearby is not run as well and the food is not as good. I left disappointed, in fact.

On the bright side, my wife makes a great lasagna with an Italian sausage and ground beef meat sauce. Looks something like this:

lasagna.jpg

Alas, it is not on the menu any time soon, as far as I am aware. But a cannoli would seem to be in order today, n'est-ce pas? :)

jrbiz, Aug 18, 2019 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  9. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Cela ressemble a un plan por moi.;) Even though I grew up in France and my parents were 100% French, we ate a lot of Italian food and it was and is my favorite overall ethnic food. Second to that would be Mexican, though that can be overly spicy for me.(heartburn) If I was to pick a 3rd choice it would be Japanese cuisine. I absolutely love teriyaki chicken...yummy! Are you at all familiar with Japanese food?

jrbiz likes this.
  10. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I am no Japanese food expert, but I also like teriyaki chicken and/or beef. I really like tempura vegetables, shrimp, etc. Have also had the Japanese bento box for breakfast, but I am more of a pancakes, eggs, and bacon type of person in the morning. I went to Benihana's in San Francisco a few times with clients and enjoyed the entire experience (and the food, of course.)

jrbiz, Aug 18, 2019 IP
  11. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Not sure what that is.....Is it anything like the Saphorro Ichiban noodles? These noodles come in a wrap like package that also comes with a packet of broth. You simply put both in boiling water and presto! I am unique in that while I like Japanese cuisine I loathe sushi. You don't have enough money to bribe me eat worm infested raw fish.

Can you post a pic of these bento thingies you wrote about?

jrbiz likes this.
  12. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    It's been a while. I was in a hotel in San Francisco (where else) and it was a very expensive breakfast that we had at the request of the client I was meeting with. My understanding is that the Japanese use bento boxes for lunch, as well, and there can be quite a variation in the edible components. What I do remember was soup, rice, fish, and other foods that I normally do not associate with breakfast:

BentoBox.jpg

jrbiz, Aug 18, 2019 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  13. digitalbrunette

digitalbrunette Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    OH MY GOD! I had the CRAZIEST obsession with Reese's and I remember gaining so much weight cause I would live off these. I didn't make it in time for Reese's thins... I turned vegan by then and now make my own chocolate which is also to die for... I actually use peanut butter ;)

Since I am vegan I will post a photo of my favourite vegan dish and the ingredients in case anyone wants to try it out...you don't have to be vegan to fall in love with this. My non vegan beg me to make this for them ;)

Here is the recipe:

Ingredients:

1 chopped onion
    1 red pepper cut into strips
    2 tablespoons oil
    1 tablespoon curry powder
    1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper / cayenne pepper (you may want to do this in small dozes if you don't have a spicy palate)
    1 tablespoon can sugar (I used 1 tablespoon agave)
    4 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional)
    1 tablespoon tomato paste
    1 can of drained chickpeas (250grams)
    1 can of 400ml coconut milk
    Salt to taste

Directions:

Step 1: In a large skillet over medium-high heat, sauté the onion and bell pepper in the oil for 5 to 10 minutes.
    Step 2: Add the curry powder, crushed red pepper, cane sugar, nutritional yeast, tomato paste and chickpeas.
    Step 3: Sauté for about 3 minutes
    Step 4: Stir in the coconut milk, add the salt and continue to cook the mixture, stirring occasionally, until thick and creamy (10 to 15 minutes).
    Step 5: Serve on basmati rice and garnish with basil leaves

Let me know if anyone tries it out :D

Attached Files:

digitalbrunette, Aug 24, 2019 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  14. digitalbrunette

digitalbrunette Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    That's probably a psychological hack. Think about it?
    It's slim so you think ''how many calories can these little things have? I can handle a few more!''...

Before you know it you reached the bottom of the packet and you are on your way to the store for more Reese's slims lol

Must have happened to me hundreds of times :D

digitalbrunette, Aug 24, 2019 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  15. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Sounds and looks delicious! BTW, my daughter has a vegan friend who swears that Oreo's are vegan. It is the only thing that he will eat at our house. ;)

No Reese's for me this weekend, however, we did jump the gun a bit and got a package of Halloween Oreo's:

orangeoreos.jpg

Would love to hear more about your home made chocolate and any other good things to eat!

jrbiz, Aug 24, 2019 IP
  16. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Here in New England in the Fall, pumpkins are ready to harvest and you begin to find the flavor in coffee, soups, and desserts. I love pumpkin pie and pumpkin cake, but that is old school. A really nice option that I plan to have this year is a pumpkin muffin with cream cheese frosting:

pumpkinmuffin.jpg

Just need to get the wife motivated to make them. ;)

jrbiz, Sep 28, 2019 IP
  17. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Every time I hear the word pumpkin I think of Trump. Don't know why....must be something about the orange color. (whoops, I've gone waaaaaaay off topic here)

Spoiltdiva, Sep 28, 2019 IP
  18. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Food flavors, textures, aromas, etc., transcend all other topics on this thread. :)

jrbiz, Sep 29, 2019 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  19. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    I 100% agree, who wants to read about a bloated, narcissistic, orange pumpkin anyway?:rolleyes:

Spoiltdiva, Sep 29, 2019 IP
  20. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I can't get my head around having pumpkin as a sweet dish. For us it's a roasted vegetable along with potatoes, kumara, and parsnip - or you might cook it and put it in a salad - always savoury. My Irish friend struggles to see it as anything but pig food and when she first arrived in NZ thought her mother in law was passive-aggressively insulting her by dishing it up. It's interesting how countries with similar cultural roots can vary so much.

sarahk, Sep 29, 2019 IP
    jrbiz likes this.