1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Ads that open when you click on a button or similar?

Discussion in 'Pay Per Click Advertising' started by PepperF90, Jul 4, 2019.

At the start of the year I launched a website. I'm using Google Adsense. At the moment I'm only getting about 100 - 120 unique visits per day so obviously I'm making very little from my ads. I'm trying to find ways of increasing my revenues. I have seen on some websites (usually adult sites) that when you click on a button (for example the play button on a video) an ad automatically opens up in a new tab. I wonder could I do something similar on one part of my website?

There is one section of the site that about 12% of my visitors will go to and complete a task. Once there are done on that page there is a pop up message that appears informing them that they've completed the task. I was thinking would it be an option for me to have an ad open in a new tab or an ad appear on the page when they click ok on this pop up?

I know the obvious reason not to do this is because it will really annoy users. However this small number of my overall visitors are unlikely to return to the website anyways (it's a once off task they complete), hence I'm not necessarily costing myself future site visits. Some people have said this is click fraud as an ad will open that a user never actually clicked on. But look at Youtube for example, I have to watch ads that I never opened. Would there be any way I can do something like this without it be being considered click fraud?

PepperF90, Jul 4, 2019 IP
  2. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    You could but Adsense will ban you for it.

malky66, Jul 4, 2019 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  3. PepperF90

PepperF90 Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm making so little from Google at the moment that I'd be prepared to take the Adsense Ads off my site if it meant I could do something like I mentioned in the opening post. But would I get punished by Google in other ways? Could my ranking etc be impacted? If in 6 months time I removed the pop up ad could I go back to using Adsense if I wanted to?

4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Kiss goodbye to return visitors.

sarahk, Jul 4, 2019 IP
  5. PepperF90

PepperF90 Peon

Best Answers:
    The thing is, if I was doing this it would be on one page of the site that only about 12% of my visitors are going to. And these visitors are unlikely to be returning to the site anyways so it shouldnt cost me too many returning users. The users that I expect to be using the site on a recurring basis would not see this type of ad.

6. PepperF90

PepperF90 Peon

Best Answers:
    Based on my original post and my 2 responses (that I'd be willing to stop using Adsense while I'd have this type of ad and the fact that the only users who'd see it are ones who I don't expect to be returning to the site anyways), what would be the other risks or negative impacts of doing this?