1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What's the Worst Google Has Screwed You?

Discussion in 'Google' started by MrX, Oct 23, 2006.

With the recent threads on dramatic SERP drops, and that guy who lost 2 employees "because of Google", I thought it would be good to ask: what's the worst thing that happened to you as a result of a Google SERP change, or even AdSense change?

MrX, Oct 23, 2006 IP
    Zerosleep likes this.
  2. Mong

Mong ↓↘→ horsePower

Best Answers:
    My one very clean site doesn't appear on first page :eek:
    Niche is Education.
    And no black hat at all except some days of coop use.

Its indexed well but have valuable inbound links as well.

Mong, Oct 23, 2006 IP
  3. Antz

Antz Peon

Best Answers:
    I hear all these stories about Google screwing people over, and pissing them of, but they've been fine for me, they've only penalized me for stuff that I deserve. :D

Antz, Oct 23, 2006 IP
  4. 1EightT

1EightT Guest

Best Answers:
    I once had an 8 year old pr6 site get completely banned for no reason. It took 6 months for me to get it back in the index.

1EightT, Oct 23, 2006 IP
  5. SEOSURAT

SEOSURAT Banned

Best Answers:
    Sometime this happens due to link farm and bad links you got

SEOSURAT, Dec 20, 2006 IP
  6. vid

vid Peon

Best Answers:
    It is really interesting, what do you think maybe google page ranking algorithm has some bugs. Because I know lot of people that has such problems (from nowhere) ...

vid, Dec 20, 2006 IP
  7. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    I have tons of banned domains ...

but I think the worst is they are punishing good pages on a website because there are "bad" pages on a website

and by bad I mean duplicate, if you have a great site about dogs, and you add some pages of amazon products for dogs, so you can earn a few bucks off your site

The good pages of the site should not be punished for that

ferret77, Dec 20, 2006 IP
  8. tbarr60

tbarr60 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    With SERP's, I take anything I get as gravy, it's free traffic, Google doesn't owe me any traffic. I just need to be diverse in my topics so I don't get crushed if one sites slips in the rankings. They create algorythms, they don't include code to get some little guy. I don't flatter myself by thinking they are doing something with me as the target. Any damage is friendly fire.

tbarr60, Dec 20, 2006 IP
    cldnails likes this.
  9. teamshop

teamshop Plainsman

Best Answers:
    Putting my entire PR5 download site into their supplemental index definately wasn't nice of them...

teamshop, Dec 20, 2006 IP
  10. karan265

karan265 Active Member

Best Answers:
    karan265, Dec 20, 2006 IP
  11. oseymour

oseymour Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    oseymour, Dec 20, 2006 IP
  12. minnseoelite

minnseoelite Peon

Best Answers:
    technically google does not screw anyone its an algorithm a computer so if you have a site that has something really bad happen to it either 1. You finally got caught with your spamming black hat ways 2. You where lazy and did not work on your sites content or incoming links enough to deserve to hold your ranking 3. Some a** Google bowled your site cause they was pissed off at you.

minnseoelite, Dec 20, 2006 IP
  13. tbarr60

tbarr60 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Somehow I missed that term and it's been around for a year. Could I have Google bowled my own site by putting site wide links to my site from another one of my sites? I have sites with over 200 pages and add links and banner ads globally to help out a new site when I launch. I feel better about giving myself site wide links than I do submitting my sites lots of directories. My links on my sites are pure advertising, directories are just links for search engine bots to see.

Am I Google Bowling myself with my site wides? :confused:

tbarr60, Dec 20, 2006 IP
  14. kevinn

kevinn Active Member

Best Answers:
    Google doesnt screw anyone, if you dropped in the rankings - it's either something you did to cause it or your competitors are working harder then you.

kevinn, Dec 20, 2006 IP
  15. minnseoelite

minnseoelite Peon

Best Answers:
    Sitewide links are ok to a degree just dont over due it. More often than anything Google bowling occures when one of your competitors places thousands of links to your site on non related bad neighborhood sites using all kinds of crap anchor text.

minnseoelite, Dec 20, 2006 IP
  16. NetMidWest

NetMidWest Peon

Best Answers:
    You probably never heard of a 302 hijack, nor seen one. At this time, it seems fixed, but the effect was that you loose your serps, pagerank, everything. It took awhile to figure out that linking absolutely would solve most of the problem (they would need some good links to get Google's attention and time to let the duplicate content penalty pass) but linking relatively is a perfectly allowable method, simplifies scripts, and can decrease a page's size. 302 redirects were used as click tracking long before Google came around, and they did nothing while this problem raged for quite some time. See this section of the same page: http://clsc.net/research/google-302-page-hijack.htm#004

I was caught in more than one, working to get de-listed from one site, only to find another taking over. Many were spammy Adsense pages, and Google had no motivation until enough attention was drawn to the problem that temporary fixes were placed, making it a rarity. But it would still happen occasionally, particularly to brand new sites or domains that would receive attention quicker than solid links could be built. It really stunted the growth of many sites and companies.

Fixed or not, everyone should link absolutely - with the full http-domain-file version, not /file or ../file, etc., as the problem has been seen elsewhere, and I don't trust Google not to roll back to an algo or crawling pattern that would bring it back. Many engineers did not see it as a big problem, or saw it as something wrong with the site itself. It can take some effort to link absolutely, editing scripts, templates, etc., but...

A mistake made once can be made again.

NetMidWest, Dec 20, 2006 IP
  17. cafinater

cafinater Peon

Best Answers:
    Google has more humans than ever looking at sites. a few sites I know of had a human visitor from google, and soon after had penalties.

cafinater, Dec 21, 2006 IP
  18. cafinater

cafinater Peon

Best Answers:
    If you suddenly start making a LOT of money from adsense, (i.e. $300 a day) due to great Google SERPs, and then after a time it suddenly drops off again, did Google screw you, or give you a break in the first place? Believe me, if you start to hit the big money, don't count on it continuing... If it does, great, but DON'T count on it... (now it's back to fighting hard for every little increase...)

cafinater, Dec 21, 2006 IP
  19. JohnScott

JohnScott Notable Member

Best Answers:
    PR8 to PR0 kind of hurt. But just because at that time PR was more closely tied to rankings.

JohnScott, Dec 21, 2006 IP
  20. naphets66

naphets66 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Christmas 2004 they banned a site of mine. Not one since, luckily. I have changed my ways a little. I went from $5000 a month to zero and was looking at the tax man coming in three months.

naphets66, Dec 21, 2006 IP