1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Newbie bashing

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Spoiltdiva, Apr 28, 2019.

Are you guilty of this? Do you derive enjoyment from the sport of newbie bashing? Problem is that attrition being what it is, if newbies are chased out faster than new members sign up, then the site slowly dies.

Newbies can be irritating, I get it. They bring up old threads that are anywhere from 5 to 10 years old. They continuously post in the wrong sections, and my personal pet peev, they come across as experts when clearly they haven't got a clue what they are going on about.

Well, newbies ought to be made to feel welcome. There are about 5 or 6 members on here who seem to go newbie bashing for no more reason than for the entertainment value. It's easy to do and consequence free.

I say this: In the spirit of fairness and for the overall good of the site we ought to give them a grace period. Say for their first 50 posts. If they still screw up then let them have it with both barrels, what say you?

Spoiltdiva, Apr 28, 2019 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  2. JoeSpirit

JoeSpirit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Everyone must learn somewhere. And I believe every one of us make similar mistakes when we first start out.

Are forums not for distributing information?

I participate on forums to help others as much as I can, to learn what I can - and to promote in my sigfile of course. But I hope I make helpful contributions. Would it not be better as professionals if we strive to set newbies on the right path gently at first. Even for the first 50 posts as you say? Rather than to open up immediately with both barrels?

They have it tough enough trying to get a business working without us grinding on them.

I think that you're spot on with your post.

JoeSpirit, Apr 29, 2019 IP
    jrbiz and Spoiltdiva like this.
  3. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    You appear to treat everyone with respect and fairness. As to me I tend to give newbies a pass and open up "with both barrels" on long time members. It's not only fun, but fair.;)

Spoiltdiva, Apr 29, 2019 IP
    JoeSpirit likes this.
  4. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I could not agree more. DP and all forums can use "new blood" so it makes no sense to brutalize a newbie who is just trying the forum out.

jrbiz, Apr 29, 2019 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  5. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Case in point, one of our regulars (hint:he is from your country) likes to bash newbies on a regular basis. I honestly believe it somehow helps him to manage his inferiority complex. Anyway a very nice girl came on and left a pleasant, well meaning post. This two bit troll lambasted and attempted to humiliate her simply because she had bumped up an older thread. She reposted explaining that she hadn't noticed the date, apologized, then said farewell and never came back.

I reported the mental pygmy and all those posts got deleted. I presume he received a well deserved warning. But the half wit is at it again. I hope he takes a hint from this thread because if he doesn't......well......karma is a bitch.

jrbiz likes this.
  6. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I actually look forward to seeing a newbie put up a thoughtful and/or helpful post so that I can give him/her an early Like to encourage them to continue on and become an Established member.

jrbiz, Apr 29, 2019 IP
    Spoiltdiva and JoeSpirit like this.
  7. JoeSpirit

JoeSpirit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sometimes it can be pleasant to stir that pot a bit.

JoeSpirit, Apr 29, 2019 IP
    jrbiz and Spoiltdiva like this.
  8. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    One of the most satisfying things I can do is when I am able to give a newbie his/her 1st like.

@JoeSpirit... Believe it or not, I have been known to "stir that pot" once or twice. (maybe even more than twice);)

Netcitynet, JoeSpirit and jrbiz like this.
  9. bollo3

bollo3 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks to open this tread. I'm a newbie in this forum but very experimented with other forums. I try to give my opinion and sometimes help some members if I can. My first impression and experience is very bad. Here my answer in the https://forums.digitalpoint.com/threads/what-html-editor-do-you-use.2855809/
    Hello, If you want a very simple html editor , notepad++ is good for you but you can use Netbeans,
    Komodo Edit, Kompozer Web Editor. Sometimes I use Komodo and Netbeans for some clients but the majority of my clients uses WordPress.
    I just told my opinion and the answer of this guy mmerlinn :
    The OP did NOT ask which editor your CLIENTS use, so WHY are you SPAMMING his thread with your NONSENSE?
    It's ridiculous and if you look his website , wouawww the design is a bul..... and this guy want to give me a lesson!!!!!
    I always respected the members but sorry this guy has not a place here.
    With a forum you can learn a lot of thing, share your experience , talk with others members and sometimes have some friends.
    If you treat the new members like that , your forum will be dead one day and don't forget the new people can share good things also.
    Maybe you think Who you are to say that, I'm just an entrepreneur more 50 years old , has created a lot of small businesses and just share my opinion, So If I will be banned for that , do it , I'm not sure to come back...

Last edited: May 11, 2019
    bollo3, May 11, 2019 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  10. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Very good, and to the point as well.;)

Spoiltdiva, May 11, 2019 IP
  11. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles: