1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Just getting started- some advice please

Discussion in 'Databases' started by newtothis2019, Apr 22, 2019.

Hello, I'm looking to build a database for my own use- it will list client info, dates, payment etc. and I'm wondering what would be the best software to use to do this? I'm completely new to this so am looking for software that will help me build this, ie is there something out there with a graphical front end that means I don't actually need to do the 'programming' myself?
    Thanks in advance.

newtothis2019, Apr 22, 2019 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    The only software I pay for is a database tool called SQLyog which uses "http tunnelling" to connect to my databases, backs them up, and gives me easy tools to manage them. The query builder reminds me of Microsoft Access (does it still exist) and easy to learn but you do need to understand the basics of database design, normalisation etc.
    upload_2019-4-23_8-13-20.png

phpMyAdmin is the default tool provided by hosting companies. I've recently discovered TeamSQL which was good for my sites that allowed direct access.

We used Toad 15 years ago when I worked on Oracle sites and it's still going so check that out too: https://www.quest.com/toad/

FWIW I've never found anything that works on Macs/OSX and isn't incredibly primitive - what's that about?

sarahk, Apr 22, 2019 IP
  3. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    That is one of many reasons that all of my databases are still in Mac OS9 where I use FoxPro to manage them. I know of nothing worthwhile for any of the Mac OSX machines.

mmerlinn, Apr 25, 2019 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Aaaw, foxpro, such fond memories

sarahk, Apr 26, 2019 IP