1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Feedback Support for IDNs in order to verify domain ownership

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Mehta, Mar 3, 2019.

I was trying to add my IDN in order to create a thread in the 'Web hosting' section and realized that the system considers the domain name to be invalid. I tried all 4 combinations, i.e. with and without the 'www' prefix, as well as with and without the punycode equivalent of the URL. Why can't IDNs be added?

Mehta, Mar 3, 2019 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    What is an IDN exactly?

digitalpoint, Mar 3, 2019 IP
  3. Mehta

Mehta Active Member

Best Answers:
    An internationalized domain name, i.e. where the domain name is made up of non-Latin characters. The system doesn't accept it as a valid URL (both, with and without the 'www' prefix). In many other websites, sometimes the punycode equivalent of the IDN is considered to be acceptable (which can be typed in English but is practically very difficult to memorize). But here, the system is not accepting the punycode equivalent as well.

Mehta, Mar 13, 2019 IP
  4. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well first of all, "www" is not part of the domain, unless you have something like wwwsomedomain.com. But normally www is a subdomain, not the domain. So if you are trying to add the subdomain www, you can stop trying that (subdomains aren't accepted, only actual domains).

If you have an example of a domain it's not accepted, it would be helpful.

digitalpoint, Mar 13, 2019 IP
  5. Mehta

Mehta Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, I know that the subdomain prefix 'www' is not actually a part of the domain name. The reason I was trying it was because (in my experience) some websites which are averse to accepting IDNs don't seem to mind the same if the text begins with a Latin character (in this case, 'w'), even though it would now be a subdomain as you said. So I was trying to get it to accept the URL.

In order to avoid breaking the rules by linking again, I will merely point out that the IDN which I am trying to add (which is not being accepted for creating a thread in the 'Web hosting' section) is the first link in my signature. I wish to create a thread for that domain (it is owned by me), instead of having to put it in my signature.

Mehta, Mar 17, 2019 IP
  6. MagdaS

MagdaS Active Member

Best Answers:
    Say what? www being subdomain? Because of IDN? IDNs are shit. Just this.

MagdaS, Jul 6, 2019 IP