1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Using a function twice

Discussion in 'JavaScript' started by Xrayfanatic, Feb 20, 2019.

Hello community, i try to use a js function within an webform to calculate prices for some colours.

<script type="text/javascript">
          <!--
            function form_ral451()
            {

var wert1          = Number(document.getElementById('wert1').value);
                var wert2          = Number(document.getElementById('wert2').value);

var resultField1   = document.getElementById('result1');

var result1        = wert2*wert1;

resultField1.value = result1;

}
          -->
        </script>
    Code (JavaScript):
    and the html code to call the function

<label for="wert1">How many litre colour RAL 451?</label><input type="text" name="wert1" id="wert1" onkeyup="form_ral451();"><br>
    <label for="wert2">Euro / litre</label><input type="text" name="wert2" id="wert2" value="20" onkeyup="form_ral451();"><br>
    <br>
    <label for="result1">Price:</label><input type="text" name="result1" id="result1" readonly><br>
    HTML:
    Now there are some more colours to calculate (RAL 452, RAL 460 and so on), always in the same way. Is it possible to use this function for all the colours or do i have to write this function for each colour, only with another name ? Thx a lot for a reply / example

Xrayfanatic, Feb 20, 2019 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Hi, you should definitely be able to use the function as often as you like - that's good programming practice.

The trick is to make the input and output fields easily identifiable. I'll give an example but bear with me if I haven't got it quite right, should be enough for you to get started with though.

<label for="paint451">How many litre colour RAL 451?</label><input type="text" name="paint[451]" id="paint451"><br>
        <label for="price451">Euro / litre</label><input type="text" name="price[451]" id="price451" value="20 "><br>
        <label for="result451">Price:</label><input type="text " name="result[451]" id="result451" readonly><br>

<label for="paint452">How many litre colour RAL 452?</label><input type="text" name="paint[452]" id="paint452"><br>
        <label for="price452">Euro / litre</label><input type="text" name="price[451]" id="price452" value="20" readonly><br>
        <label for="result452">Price:</label><input type="text " name="result[452]" id="result452" readonly><br>

<script type="text/javascript">

function calculatePrice() {

var paintId = this.id.substring(5);
      var price = document.getElementById('price' + paintId);
      var resultField = document.getElementById('result' + paintId);

var result = this.value * price.value

resultField.value = result;
    }

document.getElementById("paint451").addEventListener("keyup", calculatePrice);
    document.getElementById("paint452").addEventListener("keyup", calculatePrice);
    </script>

HTML:
    I figure that you're looping through a database result set to create the rows in the form so you might as well use them to your advantage.

sarahk, Feb 20, 2019 IP
  3. Xrayfanatic

Xrayfanatic Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you very much :)

Xrayfanatic, Feb 22, 2019 IP
  4. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    There is NO point in writing a function UNLESS it is used MORE than ONE time.

mmerlinn, Mar 2, 2019 IP