1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to choose a reliable hosting provider?

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by anastasia_syan, Jan 29, 2019.

Hello there!
    I've read a lot of reviews regarding all sorts of hosting providers. But how can you know that these are not fake reviews written by the company employees? How to know which website is trustworthy? That’s precisely the thing me and my team are working on right now.
    We've decided make our own portal with reviews only from real people. No bots or anonymous users. All reviews are preserved, none of them are deleted, either good or bad as each opinion matters. But we need your help - more reviews! Your reviews can help other people, prevent them from being decived by hosting companies. The website is hostings.info. Your assistance is much appreciated!

anastasia_syan, Jan 29, 2019 IP
  2. allout

allout Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    That is a tough question. If all the reviews are on blogs with an affiliate link, it is most likely not totally honest. You just have to look for ones who have bunch of negative reviews and avoid them. Then, look for longevity; how long they have been in business. Then figure out what you need and who offers that.

It is hard because most reviews are paid but you have wad through the bullshit to get to honest reviews. If it helps, I just went with Mochahost because they offered what I wanted for the best price. They have been fine so far but still in the honeymoon stage and I am still just building my blog. They have some negative reviews but they seem to be from people who have done illegal stuff and was suspended.

Just make sure that you feel comfortable before you jump and cheapest is not always best.

allout, Jan 29, 2019 IP
  3. anastasia_syan

anastasia_syan Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, you're absolutely right, it is hard to find a good review. I've given some thought about creating a portal with reviews only from real people that actually used the service. Do you thnk that it's possible that this can work? I mean, it's very time-consuming to do a research. And you need to be quite tech-savvy to realize the pros and cons of the hosting providers. They all consider themselves as good and reliable but their main goal is to sell more packages but not to make the customer happy.

anastasia_syan, Jan 30, 2019 IP
  4. allout

allout Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The problem with starting a review site is the same as current ones, you will want to monetize it. When you do that, you will want to only list the ones that have a good affiliate program that pays well.

allout, Jan 30, 2019 IP
  5. anastasia_syan

anastasia_syan Peon

Best Answers:
    Of course, it's quite natural to want to monetize your site. But it's not necessary that the website will actually sell rating positions, if it has some partners. It's obvious that if there's a team working on a project, you need to pay them even if they love the idea they're working for. My point is that, basically, the thing that matters the most is the review from a real customer that will not be deleted 'on demand', so to say. And that those users will be verified as real ones and share their experience so that hosting providers will not have the opportunity to deceive anyone.

anastasia_syan, Jan 30, 2019 IP
  6. CenTex Hosting

CenTex Hosting Member

Best Answers:
    Sure you are always Going to have the big brands that everyone knows. You will see a ton of good bad and ugly about them. If you don't want a big name then you could search local and see who comes up and then do a little research see what forums they are on if they have any good or bad press.

Also depending on what your needs are that could help limit out a few host. One thing I would recommend is keep your own backups. Right after you load the site and its working take your own backup. Then after any time you do a major backup keep your own copy. this way if the host flakes out on you then in a mater of a few min you can get setup with a new host and get your site back online.

CenTex Hosting, Jan 30, 2019 IP
  7. jamesandersonicb

jamesandersonicb Peon

Best Answers:
    1. Know What Kind of Web Host You Need.
    2. Choose the Right Hosting Package.
    3. Read Web Hosting Reviews.
    4. Get the Right Amount of Bandwidth.
    5. Don't Get Stuck on Price

jamesandersonicb, Jan 30, 2019 IP
  8. anastasia_syan

anastasia_syan Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, keeping backups is a nice idea. Even with the best hosting provider you need to stay on the safe side.
    The thing is that I see a lot of people here have lots of experience in this field. My goal is to create a website with honest reviews about not only big and well-known hosting companies but for local ones. A kind of catalogue with reviews. Of course, a lot of people are sceptic about this. But still, I'm sure it's worth a try. Forums are great, though the topics and questions may get lost amongst others. However, on a website, they will preserve. What do you think about this? Can you share some experience about hosting providers to support the idea?

anastasia_syan, Jan 31, 2019 IP
  9. anastasia_syan

anastasia_syan Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you. Where do you read the reviews? Do you know a specific website or do a research amongst forums?

anastasia_syan, Jan 31, 2019 IP
  10. anastasia_syan

anastasia_syan Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you all for sharing your opinions with me! Just wanted to know also what do yo think about the idea of a portal with reviews only? Forums are great but as far as I know not all of them check if the registered users are real people. Company employees can register a few accounts using different email and leave nice reviews about their hosting.

anastasia_syan, Feb 7, 2019 IP
  11. Manda Barnes

Manda Barnes Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I like using wix a lot, although I've run into some issues as far as domain hosting as of recently with them. Any suggestions on workarounds or alternatives?

Manda Barnes, Feb 7, 2019 IP
  12. anastasia_syan

anastasia_syan Peon

Best Answers:
    Not sure, if Wix is a hosting service. It looks more like a website builder to me. Have you tried other hosting providers? Maybe, you could share your thoughts about them with others on the portal so that people would know the whole truth about hosting providers?

anastasia_syan, Feb 12, 2019 IP
  13. dts-net

dts-net Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    go with one that has been in business for years not months

dts-net, Feb 22, 2019 IP