1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Lighten up and live and let live.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Spoiltdiva, Jan 29, 2019.

I am fed up with bored trolls who have nothing better to do than condemn our international members for posting less than perfect English. I suspect the low self esteem ingrates that do this, feel somehow superior that their English is better.

How can mocking those who use English as a second language be good for the growth of the site? Also consider how talented someone has to be to even have the capability of writing in another language. Can you the troll, do as much?

To all those who are ESL (English as a second language) I say "bravo!" "tres bien!" "wunderbar!" etc. Welcome and know that some of us appreciate your effort and understand that by coming here and writing in English, you are learning and getting better at it with each and every post.:)

Spoiltdiva, Jan 29, 2019 IP
    DianaGy, JoeSpirit, Grump and 3 others like this.
  2. ATMD

ATMD Member

Best Answers:
    Simple courtesy should be the norm in my opinion. One can criticize, but it should always be constructive. If the language usage is incorrect, then it would be better to simply correct it.

ATMD, Jan 29, 2019 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  3. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Agreed
    If you're selling your written word then your English should be awesome
    If you're selling design, programming, or just having a discussion then being understood is all that matters. Given that most of the native English speakers frequently butcher the language while dissing others amuses and frustrates me.

sarahk, Jan 29, 2019 IP
    ATMD, jrbiz and Spoiltdiva like this.
  4. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Well put, lambasting an international member for less than perfect English is not only rude but small minded. Some of our members need to grow up.

Absolutely yes....a bit of a double standard going on with some.;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2019
    ATMD and sarahk like this.
  5. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I am somewhat in awe of anyone who will come to an English-speaking forum like DP for whom English is a second (or third or fourth) language. As a typical American, I have no facility with any language other than English and cannot imagine trying to participate in a forum in any other language. I give these posters a lot of credit for trying and if I can help with their question or issue, I will take extra time to figure out what they are asking or commenting on. Often, their cultural perspective is different and interesting, too.

Of course, if they are trying to sell English copywriting services in horrible English, I will not be so sympathetic. :)

jrbiz, Jan 29, 2019 IP
    ATMD, Spoiltdiva and sarahk like this.
  6. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Your take on this is a mature perspective that any adult ought to take. But we appear to have a few misfits who never seem to have reached adult status.

ATMD likes this.