1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Does my site got penalized?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Jannatin Nayem Sourav, Jan 17, 2019.

Hello, The site I am working for, was on listing 3, page the day before yesterday. But it is now at listing 9, page 7. I am noticing the rank drop since yesterday. Is it a sign of penalty? Or does google updated algorithm?

Jannatin Nayem Sourav, Jan 17, 2019 IP
  2. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    There have been no major updates since summer I believe. You need to wait a week or so to determine if your site's position has indeed gone down.

Have you recently tried to improve your rankings via backlink building?

qwikad.com, Jan 17, 2019 IP
    ATMD likes this.
  3. Jannatin Nayem Sourav

Jannatin Nayem Sourav Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, I am continuously working on that since November.

4. qwikad.com

Best Answers:
    That could be the answer. Unnatural/excessive link building will DEFINITELY negatively impact your rankings.

qwikad.com, Jan 17, 2019 IP
    ATMD likes this.
  5. Jannatin Nayem Sourav

Best Answers:
    I didn't get any irrelevant link. All link was related to my niche.

6. ATMD

ATMD Member

Best Answers:
    This happens to all new sites, the ranking is very unstable for new sites. It is not a penalty, don't worry.

ATMD, Jan 17, 2019 IP
  7. Jannatin Nayem Sourav

Best Answers:
    Thank you so much. But the site I am referring is not a new site. This is a site was build on 2015.

8. ATMD

ATMD Member

Best Answers:
    Whenever there is ongoing SEO optimization and building backlinks to the website, the rankings will become unstable as well. You could read more info about rankings drop guide here: https://moz.com/blog/seo-rankings-drop-guide

ATMD, Jan 17, 2019 IP
  9. sigen

sigen Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Check your GSC for any penalties. In most cases, rank drops have nothing to do with penalties.

sigen, Jan 18, 2019 IP
    ATMD likes this.
  10. ATMD

ATMD Member

Best Answers:
    I agree, I don't think it is a penalty at all.

ATMD, Jan 18, 2019 IP
  11. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    You can start off by making changes if needed, to be in compliance with Google TOS. Then send off a reconsideration request. If nothing comes of it, then you might need to spend a bit of money on a SEO audit.

Spoiltdiva, Jan 18, 2019 IP
    ATMD likes this.
  12. ATMD

ATMD Member

Best Answers:
    Definitely. An SEO audit would be the best solution to make sure it is not a penalty. Looking at this list of what an SEO audit entails, it can be quite intimidating, it is probably better to let an expert do it.

Looking at the aspect of possible penalty, here is an excerpt from that list.

Basic Penalty Check
    Google has a manual webspam team and a complex automated spam checking system and algorithm - that sends out notices to webmasters through the Search Console warning them against issues it has found that are related to the sites profile for ranking in their SERPS.

Checking if there is a penalty - algorithmic or manual on your site, if you haven't done so, is essential.

You can do this by checking inside Search Console. You need to see if you received any notices from Google.

The notices Google sends are of two kinds - "Action against Site" or "Action against links".

If you have an "Action against Site" notice - then your site drops out totally from the SERPs and you have essentially been de-indexed. There will be a notice from the manual webspam team (real person) inside Search Console messages. If this happens, you cannot do much other than fix things and then send a plea and appeal to Google literally begging them to put your site back in their index - because you have cleaned up everything you do (or your SEO company did to your site).

If you get an "Action Against Links" notice - there is no plea you can send. Your site or some pages of it - would basically have a lot of rankings. To fix things you need to fix links and any other on-page and other issues and wait for the re-crawl to happen. Since the Penguin algorithm is not real-time... you will see ranking gains faster and you do not have to wait for a data-refresh to happen to see any benefits of your link purge or SEO fixes.

If you have not setup a Search Console account - you may check if your site is penalized by searching for the title of any page or post in quotes in Google and checking if the appropriate page/post shows up as the fist result. If not - then you need to start checking the severity of the penalty. This can be done by entering your domain name directly in the search and seeing what happens, or just searching for your domain brand name without the TLD or the TLD after a space separator.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    ATMD, Jan 18, 2019 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  13. Jannatin Nayem Sourav

Best Answers:
    Thanks. This message was very valuable to me.
    Yes after your suggestion I have checked my search console and there was no notification or message from google. I have also checked my site on google search box using quotes. My site appeared on listing 1.

Jannatin Nayem Sourav, Jan 18, 2019 IP
    ATMD likes this.
  14. patriciaalexander

patriciaalexander Peon

Best Answers:
    Assess for almost any penalties in your GSC. Typically, rank drops haven't anything to do with penalties.

patriciaalexander, Jan 18, 2019 IP
    ATMD likes this.
  15. Anna Gray

Anna Gray Peon

Best Answers:
    Google updated its an algorithm.

Anna Gray, Jan 23, 2019 IP
  16. qwikad.com

Best Answers:
    qwikad.com, Jan 23, 2019 IP
  17. Anna Gray

Anna Gray Peon

Best Answers:
    yeah, now its look like it was true news.

Anna Gray, Jan 23, 2019 IP
  18. Jannatin Nayem Sourav

Best Answers:
    Jannatin Nayem Sourav, Jan 23, 2019 IP
  19. wanessmark

wanessmark Active Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think your website got penalized beside there is no major update in google algorithm, you can give a try by changing keywords and some changes into your backlinks in case you are using them.

wanessmark, Feb 11, 2019 IP