1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Senseless Blogger

Discussion in 'Websites' started by Jerlene.net, Oct 24, 2018.

I started blogging about random crap - working online, my shitty job, my family dramas, etc.
    I recently started a series on there called Let Me Explain Myself.

Check out my personal blog: http://senselessblogger.com/

Any feedback appreciated!

Jerlene.net, Oct 24, 2018 IP
  2. Jerlene.net

Jerlene.net Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    We're now secure! I should have looked deeper into this before but better late than never.

Jerlene.net, Nov 5, 2018 IP
  3. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Looks good, will be interesting to revisit in a while to see how the content develops

sarahk, Nov 5, 2018 IP
  4. Spartan14

Spartan14 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Whats your plan with this website ? how you plan to monetize it

Spartan14, Nov 6, 2018 IP
  5. Jerlene.net

Best Answers:
    Thanks. I've been neglecting content but I'm going to bust my ass to pump it out this week.

I already monetize it. I don't want to be intrusive so I just have the one ad that's in the sidebar.

Jerlene.net, Nov 10, 2018 IP
  6. web2008

web2008 Active Member

Best Answers:
    What comes to my mind when visiting your blog:
    - at first sight I can´t really see what´s this blog about. I think you should add the main topics as teasers or put in in the header, so that it´s clearly visible what this blog is about.
    - I looked at some articles, I think most of them are too short. I would add longer articles so they bring more value to the user (and Google likes it too).

web2008, Nov 25, 2018 IP
  7. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, the blog looks like it might be interesting to a lot of people. However, the text is so small, so broken up, and with so little contrast that it is IMPOSSIBLE to read.

If you want people to stick around, you will need to bring the legibility of your pages up to WCAG standards.

mmerlinn, Nov 25, 2018 IP
  8. Jerlene.net

Best Answers:
    What browser are you using that it appears like that? I'm viewing it just fine and this is the first I've heard of that issue.

Jerlene.net, Nov 28, 2018 IP
  9. Jerlene.net

Best Answers:
    Looking for any feedback! I'm always looking to improve this site. It's my baby. :D

Jerlene.net, Jan 14, 2019 IP
  10. Grump

Grump Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I can understand that. I have a few "babies" and have discovered I am quite the procrastinator. This is one of those do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do kinda posts, but try to take my comments more as suggestions from a rambling old man with nothing better to do tonight. ;)

[​IMG]
    I still think it's good advice to never, ever show your email address online. Unless you like collecting spam, that is.

[​IMG]
    Heading tags (h1, h2, h3 especially) are good SEO and help guide search crawlers to your most important content. Your home page says the most important content is the center column title, "Recent Posts." If you want that to have some SEO power, as well as grab the attention of your visitor, then give it a bit more snazzy title.

Your theme indicates your second most important content is all of your widget titles. Worse yet, it thinks the actual titles of all your great articles in the center column are worth no more than an h3. Getting the search engine to pay closer attention to your post titles than your widget titles is kinda important.

I also noted that your posts don't harness the value of heading tags either - I mean except for the title of the post.

[​IMG]
    Why not make your About page include all the content of the About AND Staff pages.

[​IMG]
    I have always hated that Meta widget in WP, especially because it links to wordpress.org, which is irrelevant to 95% of what I post about. There are plugins that can take the place of the Meta widget.

[​IMG]
    That's supposed to be an ad, but for some reason, Google Adsense decided not to put one there while I was browsing. The plugin I use for my Adsense ads is Advanced Ads and one of the settings eliminates that ugly block when an ad doesn't appear. You can also tell Adsense to place a dummy or non-paying ad there when there's no other ad available.

That's just some of the stuff that I thought might help you or some other blogger. I actually wrote a much more detailed critique on my own blog: https://1footinthegrave.com/senseless-website-critique/ I hope you can use one or two of my ideas, or at the very least, enjoy my opinionated article.

Milestone: This is the first time I have posted on DigitalPoint in nearly 10 years. I was supposed to be critiquing the pearly gates by now. :O

Jim

Grump, Jan 15, 2019 IP
  11. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    For a name like "Senseless Blogger" I'd choose a complete different theme. Something more radical.

june-creative-ecommerce-wordpress-theme.jpg

qwikad.com, Jan 15, 2019 IP
  12. Jerlene.net

Best Answers:
    Grump, thanks for the awesome critique. The email was created specifically for the site and the important stuff gets redirected to one of my other main accounts, leaving the spam behind.
    Changing Recent Posts to something else is a great idea and something I'm going to do tomorrow. I need to sleep on this one. lol
    I like lots of structure and an About page is completely different than a Staff page to me. Combining them would cause a coniption in my brain.
    I leave the Member Area there for staff members, contributors, etc. Is there another way for them to login? I'm not a fan of it either.
    Thanks for telling me about the ads. I thought I fixed that problem. I'll look into it. I personally hate seeing it on sites and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
    I'm honoured you've chosen a review of my blog as your welcome back post and thank you very much for writing up this critique and an actual blog post on your site. :D
    I will definitely take all of this in and improve where possible.

That's actually a really nice theme. It would make a lot of sense to switch it to something like that. I'll look into it. I've been on the hunt for a theme, and trying to think up a great theme, but I haven't come across anything I really like yet.

Jerlene.net, Jan 26, 2019 IP
    Grump likes this.
  13. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    What's this "KEEP ME ALIVE" DONATE thing about?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    Spoiltdiva, Jan 26, 2019 IP
  14. Grump

Grump Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Grump, Jan 26, 2019 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  15. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Thanks for that, but I'm also curious as to what her health issue is as I haven't got time to read her blogs.

P.S. English is not my 1st language and I will admit to getting confused with some of the expressions from time to time. Would the term "keep me alive" have to do with keeping the blog alive financially, and have nothing to do with her health?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  16. Grump

Grump Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I was going to suggest you use her search feature, but when I went to satisfy my own curiosity, I discovered she has no search feature enabled. So, next best thing (and sometimes better), I googled site:senselessblogger.com health and didn't find anything that indicated she had health issues. But I suppose we all understand the responsibilities and occasional problems of owning and operating a website. It's not as cheap as it used to be. In fact, it can represent a significant investment in money and time. It's always nice to earn enough to at least pay the bills. Advertising doesn't always bring in enough to keep you in the black, so donations can help.

Grump, Jan 26, 2019 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  17. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    You are a very helpful member, you ought to come around more often.:)

Grump likes this.
  18. Jerlene.net

Best Answers:
    It has nothing to do with my health. It refers to the site. I do have a search feature enabled though. It's in the top right corner.

Jerlene.net, Jan 28, 2019 IP
  19. Grump

Grump Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hidden content doesn't count. ;)

[​IMG]

Grump, Jan 28, 2019 IP
    mmerlinn likes this.
  20. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I like your layout a lot better now, but as noted you do not have any way to search your site. Still damn hard to read, though.

senslessblogger.JPG

mmerlinn, Jan 28, 2019 IP
    Grump likes this.