1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

It can't be easy being a mod.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Spoiltdiva, Jan 7, 2019.

Many years ago I used to fill in on the weekends as a moderator on a French language site. Just 4 hours on Saturdays and the same on Sundays. At first I enjoyed it then it got to be a chore. I do wonder how some keep at it for so long.
    I mean what happens to a mod over the course of moderating for many years? Does one become desensitized, thick skinned? Is there a danger that what offended or irritated you no longer will?

Overall I give two thumbs up to the mods who by in large prevent us from giving in to our baser instincts of greed, vindictiveness or dishonesty. It would be a far worse DP without them. But....yes there is a but here...apathy can play a part. After all the mods are only human.

It can't be easy being a mod so on behalf of all of us, I do thank you the mods for the service you provide.

P.S. Thank you mod on duty for responding to my recent report. My faith in you has been restored.:)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    Spoiltdiva, Jan 7, 2019 IP
    JoeSpirit likes this.
  2. JoeSpirit

JoeSpirit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well said.

I was a mod myself for a time. Takes a lot of patience, and dental gritting, to put up with disgruntled members. It also costs a lot of productive time to a mod's personal activities to keep the site clean.

JoeSpirit, Jan 8, 2019 IP
  3. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I have been approached a number of times to moderate. Two site owners on DP have approached me as a matter of fact, but it is quite time consuming. Also my personal bias would sometimes get in the way of my impartiality. It is a delicate balancing act to be passionate and neutral all at the same time. Frankly speaking I'm not cut out for the job.

Spoiltdiva, Jan 8, 2019 IP
  4. SpacePhoenix

SpacePhoenix Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just had a quick look at the list of forum staff, some of them havn't been around for a while

SpacePhoenix, Jan 8, 2019 IP
  5. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    One of the mods that I miss is @Kerosene. She was (is) very cool. You could joke around with her. She never once used her authority to get even or allowed any negative remarks to affect her judgement. I don't know why she left, other commitments I guess.

Spoiltdiva, Jan 8, 2019 IP
    SpacePhoenix likes this.
  6. JoeSpirit

Best Answers:
    The cost in time was the difficult part of it for me. I didn't run into any disputes but I do understand that is probably inevitable and I do believe that personal feelings can escalate quarrelsome situations. When a couple A personalities go head to head it does become intense sometimes.

JoeSpirit, Jan 9, 2019 IP
  7. the_Sign

the_Sign Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Moderating can be easy, enjoyable, and affordable. Moderating was never that way before December 30, 2018 A.D. And the greed, envy, and tyranny of all such posting and moderation, for the most part, remains on boards to this day. But moderation before that date has only produced real cases of grand larceny, theft, robbery, etc.

The reason for this is due to what is called "the mass apostasy". The reason things are different now is due to what is called "the age to come".

the_Sign, Jan 9, 2019 IP
  8. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    You have proven by your posts on here that you are a level headed individual that is not easily rattled. As for me I am rattled fairly easily and sometimes got too involved with the disputes. Not exactly mod material I'd say.

Hallelujha....praise the lord....let's get a few saints to come down and moderate! How about an angel or two...we could sure use 'em here on DP!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2019
    Spoiltdiva, Jan 9, 2019 IP
  9. JoeSpirit

Best Answers:
    Wasn't always that way. A number of years back I had to accept that I have a harsh temper that flairs easily.

I worked hard to "moderate" that. These days I struggle to stop and think a moment before I respond to external events. The first thought I always try to pull up immediately is, "Do I really want to allow this to control my emotions?"

That normally brings a sense of reality to me.

JoeSpirit, Jan 10, 2019 IP
    SpacePhoenix and Spoiltdiva like this.
  10. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Good advice...and good luck to me in attempting to follow it.:rolleyes:

Spoiltdiva, Jan 10, 2019 IP
    JoeSpirit likes this.