1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Same ip for 2 name servers?

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by geeksquad, Jan 3, 2019.

I am trying to point my domain to the name servers provided to me by my web hosting company. Both of the name servers ns1 and ns2 use the same ip, I was only provided one ip that corresponds to both name servers. My domain registrar however requires that 2 name servers with unique ip addresses be used. So my hosting company says my only option is to purchase another ip address which will DOUBLE my hosting costs.

What should I do? Should I change to another registrar? Should I change to another hosting company? Should I pay for another ip address?

geeksquad, Jan 3, 2019 IP
  2. pavv

pavv Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I suppose you contacted your registrar? Which registrar are you using?

pavv, Jan 3, 2019 IP
  3. geeksquad

geeksquad Peon

Best Answers:

Yes I contacted them. They say they cannot change it and I have to use two different ip's. My domain is actually a .nl domain, so I don't know if the same rules apply. Hexonet is the registrar.

me: My hosting company only provides me with one single ip. They say the ip is for both of the nameservers and that is how it is supposed to work. Can you configure so that it does not require 2 unique ip addresses?

registrar: it is not a policy / configuration of our system. It is a given specification by the registry. We cannot change it. You have to use two different IP's if you want to use Hostrecords for your .COM domain.

me: Does the same rule apply for a .NL domain?

4. bountysite

bountysite Active Member

Best Answers:
    Could you try using cloudflare dns servers for your domain names?

bountysite, Jan 3, 2019 IP
  5. geeksquad

geeksquad Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok it seems that all .NL domain require "2 authoritative nameservers" with "unique IP addresses".

I have purchased a second IP address from my server host and it was much cheaper than I initially thought, less than $2 USD. I'm now waiting for my server support to advise of the next step.

6. dts-net

dts-net Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    when running name servers its always good to use different servers and or network providers for each ip prevents down time

dts-net, Feb 22, 2019 IP
  7. jason2500

jason2500 Active Member

Best Answers:
    You have to pay for that ip, or look for some other provider that provides 2 ips.

jason2500, Mar 7, 2019 IP
  8. UnderHost_MSA

UnderHost_MSA Notable Member

Best Answers:
    CloudFlare would be a good option to use third-party nameservers but if you're not a fan you could probably just register A records with your registrar and use their DNS system.

So you won't need to buy another ip, that's being said a hosting company that forces you to buy another IP to use their service is somehow disturbing as they should provide redundant nameservers.

UnderHost_MSA, Apr 3, 2019 IP
  9. thenetedge

thenetedge Member

Best Answers:
    Since you have purchased 2nd IP you should use Nameserver of your domain.
    ns1.yourdomain.com
    ns2.yourdomain.com

thenetedge, Apr 4, 2019 IP