1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What IDE is best for JavaScript developer?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by javatutscloud, May 1, 2018.

Hi guys!
    I'm actually new in programming. So i started to learn JS. But i want to hear some good advances from experts. Tell me some useful and good to use JavaScript IDE names.
    BTW i read that i can even code using online IDE on browser, in this topic the author says that there is no need to download any ide on my pc Online IDE for JS DEV's . So should i use one?

javatutscloud, May 1, 2018 IP
  2. worldintercom

worldintercom Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    JetBrains WebStorm

worldintercom, May 1, 2018 IP
  3. cyphix

cyphix Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Depends if you want a free one or paid one; but I would highly recommend one of JetBrains products, if you're not going to use it for any backend languages then I agree, JetBrains WebStorm, they have alternatives that include support for backend languages as well such as PhpStorm.

A free one I would recommend would be Visual Studio Code, which I have heard is very very good.

cyphix, May 10, 2018 IP
  4. Galaxyrover

Galaxyrover Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I like Netbeans. It is free and has similar power as paid PhpStorm.

Galaxyrover, May 10, 2018 IP
  5. nshadab

nshadab Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    To be very frank, everyone has different requirements and we feel one of the strengths of the Java world is the choice available.

I personally have used many of them...

Basically these IDEs offer a variety of features, like: building Java applications, TestNG, debugging, code inspections, code assistance, JUNIT testing, multiple refactoring, visual GUI builder and code editor, Java, Maven build tools, ant, do data modelling and build queries, and more.

first in my list is

1- NetBeans:
    NetBeans is an open source Integrated Development Environment written in Java and is one of IDR Solutions’ favourite IDEs for Java coding.

The NetBeans IDE supports development of all Java application types (Java SE, JavaFX, Java ME, web, EJB and mobile applications) out of the box.

Second to this:
    2- Eclipse
    Eclipse is another free Java IDE for developers and programmers and it is mostly written in Java. Eclipse lets you create various cross platform Java applications for use on mobile, web, desktop and enterprise domains.

I still enjoy doing android development on Eclipse.

3- IntelliJ IDEA Community Edition
    IntelliJ IDEA Community Edition is a free Java IDE (Integrated Development Environment) mainly used for Android app development, Scala, Groovy, Java SE and Java programming. It is lightweight in design and comes with useful features like JUnit testing, TestNG, debugging, code inspections, code completion, support for multiple refactoring, Maven build tools, ant, visual GUI builder and code editor for XML and Java.

With the community edition, there would be some missing feature, to unlock them you need to buy all features. But a paid license is of good worth.

This one is not a good options in my personal views, but you can also consider if you are going to have light java development

Android Studio
    Android Studio from Google is mainly designed for developing on the Android Platform. However it is capable of running and editing some Java code.

Ask yourself what are you targeting, and match the offering with IDE. At last CHOICE is all yours.

best of luck.

nshadab, May 12, 2018 IP
  6. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    The OP said Java, not JavaScript. Java is to JavaScript as Ham is to Hamburger. Apart from sharing the first few letters they have Jack-all to do with each-other.

Though you are correct, it's very much a personal thing. To be much more brutally frank than you were, IMHO after 40 years of programming IDE's are bloated halfwitted trash that in most cases just make you work harder, not smarter. I was not impressed by them when I first came across the concept in the 1980's, and they've only gotten worse since that time.

Which is why I prefer just plain ordinary flat text editors REGARDLESS of what language I'm programming in. 99% of my coding takes place in "Flo's Notepad 2", a simple Scite based text editor... though there's nothing wrong with EditPlus, notepad++, Atom, gEdit, Text Wrangler, Sublime, etc, etc...

Well, I'm being nice when I mention Sublime, I don't like it one bit myself as it is fat, bloated, and slow -- but I'd sooner see the OP using that than some dumbass IDE.

deathshadow, May 13, 2018 IP
  7. qwerty.chat

qwerty.chat Peon

Best Answers:
    VSCode, it has an integrated terminal and one of the best ux around.

qwerty.chat, Jun 4, 2018 IP
  8. Fernando V

Fernando V Member

Best Answers:
    Today, there is no better thing than VSCode.

* Light and fast
    * A lot of plugins
    * It has Javascript integrated since it is based on a browser (electron is based on chromium)
    * Java based IDEs tend to be slow and non-responsive
    * Updates automatically

Fernando V, Nov 28, 2018 IP
  9. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Methinks we have greatly different definitions of the words "light" and "fast". To me it's a fat bloated pig, but then my editor of choice is 898k in a single monolithic executable, instead of the fatass 32 megabyte electron runtime sitting underneath VSCode.

deathshadow, Nov 28, 2018 IP
  10. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Most of you people never use 10% of what a full blown IDE like NetBeans or Eclipse has to offer. Heck, most of the features aren't necessary or needed. Personally I found SublimeText with a few plugins to be my ideal editor for almost everything.

NetStar, Dec 11, 2018 IP
  11. sumeetm4u

sumeetm4u Member

Best Answers:
    Visual studio code

sumeetm4u, Dec 26, 2018 IP
  12. loki781

loki781 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Notepad++, Atom

loki781, Jan 7, 2019 IP
  13. bountysite

bountysite Active Member

Best Answers:
    Try brackets.io. I think it should support JS. I have also heard about atom.
    You can take a look at some light weight options(if you are using linux) - scite, geany

Try it out!

bountysite, Jan 7, 2019 IP
  14. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I just want to add some more input here... I went through a phase where I wanted to find the perfect editor to speed up development. I downloaded everything and played with all the editors. I liked and disliked them all equally and never felt comfortable with anything but Scite. Then I was forced (yes forced) to use SublimeText on my lap top and I got use to it and learned some cool tricks that help me speed up development. Now I prefer SublimeText over Scite. Truth is.. the best editor is what you are most comfortable with. And that only comes with time spent using it. The features that help speed up development time often don't really have a noticeable difference in project completion. Your development process has though. Not the editor when you are using IDE's.

NetStar, Jan 13, 2019 IP