1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Apache virtual host vs default config

Discussion in 'Apache' started by mikewooz, Nov 20, 2018.

?

What Linux Server version are you currently using?

Poll closed Nov 20, 2018.
  1. 18.04

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. 16.04

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 14.04

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 12.04

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. A combination of the above

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I use something entirely different

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
    Hello everyone. I have run into a problem trying to host a virtual site via Apache. I am following a tutorial from Digital Ocean and have followed the instructions to build config files for running site #2. After setting up my config files and creating the necessary document folders for site #2, the tutorial has me enabling the site.

I use the free dns provider site noip.com and have a domain name from there residing in the config files.

My issue is that when I attempt to visit my Site #2, the browser takes me to my router page... not the html page I have set aside for the Site 2. I have seen other wanna be developers complain about this problem using this tutorial, but I have not seen any responses come in from the field to help them with this issue. I'm hoping this particular forum will provide some useful feedback that I can use to correct this problem.

Thanks in advance, and may you have a wonderful day and Happy Thanksgiving.

Best,
    Mike

mikewooz, Nov 20, 2018 IP
  2. Rho

Rho Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Heya Mike,
    Unless there's something wrong with your site files (make sure they're named appropriately), it seems your DN isn't pointing correctly. Make sure that your DNS is set up properly (give it time; up to 48 hours to get set up) and then do a hard refresh (Command+Shift+R/Ctrl+Shift+R).

Pro tip: Using a proxy to visit your website is often advised to see changes take place in real time especially when you're first setting the site up. DNS takes time to propagate and this is just a workaround.

Rho, Nov 20, 2018 IP
  3. mikewooz

mikewooz Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks Rho for providing your feedback. In regards to my virtual host files, I have one located in my /etc/apache2/sites-available/mySiteFolder.ddns.net.conf
    The file is setup just like the one in the tutorial I am using to set this up @ Digital Ocean. There is no problem bringing up the default site using my server IP, it's just when I type in my domain name for the virtual hosted site into the browser is when I get the page for my router.
    Regarding the proxy server... could you recommend one as I don't have a clue what a proxy server is or does for that matter. I understand the idea of being able to quickly assess your site quickly versus waiting on the DNS provider to propogate my domain.

Again, thank you.

mikewooz, Nov 20, 2018 IP