1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Are these new "featured content" hitting your web traffic too?

Discussion in 'Google' started by JEET, Oct 11, 2018.

Are these new "featured content" hitting your web ranks too?

It seems like google is indexing our webpages,
    scrapping our content,
    and displaying it on their own website.

Complete answers to various questions are getting posted there...
    If people are getting answers directly on google website, then who would come to our website?

We are the ones who made that content, are paying for servers, and other services,
    and its google which is getting the traffic...

Yesterday I was looking for some colour codes,
    and a whole list of colours was directly available on google search result itself,
    which they scrapped from some other website...
    I didn't even cared to check the webpage where the actual list was...
    Why would I? I got the answer on google's website itself...
    Why would others care about our websites then?

Isn't this a "copyright violation?"

I am thinking of blocking google bot completely from my website. But am really confused at this point. Any suggestions are welcome. Its the stock market website in my signature. It was making good money from google traffic, but since I installed SSL (2 months back), my rankings went down, but I don't think that this is the only reason for lower sales. I think its that "featured content" on top of all their search results, which is just content "scraped" from our websites... People are getting answers directly on google itself, why would they click a link and come to our website?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2018
    JEET, Oct 11, 2018 IP
  2. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    You can make a legal removal request via the Feedback link under the featured snippet.

IMO, most people will still end up visiting your site. It's hard to believe that it is the featured snippet that has negatively impacted your traffic. If anything I'd blame all the algorithm updates.

Also the mobile first indexing has wreaked havoc on many sites. In a few week's time it should all get back to normal, I hope.

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2019
    qwikad.com, Oct 16, 2018 IP
    JEET likes this.
  3. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    What is mobile first indexing? Can you please tell me more about this? Thanks

Also, I recently installed SSL certificate on my site, in Sep. For 2 weeks things were ok, then site went down? Could SSL be the reason?
    If so, how long does it take to return back to original ranks? Any experience with this?
    Thanks

JEET, Oct 19, 2018 IP
  4. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Take a look at this search for example. https://www.google.com/search?q=rgb+code+for+purple&gws_rd=ssl

Both Hex and RGB codes for the "searched color" are in featured content itself. Why would I open that site?

This is what google did here.
    It reduced the ranks of the site which was at top. So when they see a drop in traffic, they assume that its because of new lower ranks.

At the same time they picked another site from 3-4 th position, and placed it on top, and used its content as featured content.
    So this site obviously got a boost in traffic, because of top position, and they are assuming that its because they got in featured content...

"Without" the "featured content" directly on google's site, these "new ranked" websites would have got at least 20% to 50% more traffic.
    They are actually losing money because of this featured content thing...

JEET, Oct 19, 2018 IP
  5. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    If the desktop and mobile versions of your site are comparable, Google will start using the indexing and ranking of your mobile version for your desktop version, not the other way around as it was in the past.

Check your webmaster tools. You should have an email from them. I got it a month ago. I don't know what happens if the mobile and desktop versions are not comparable. It's quite possible that it may negatively impact the desktop ranking.

qwikad.com, Oct 19, 2018 IP
    JEET likes this.
  6. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks. So far my site does not has a mobile version

JEET, Oct 19, 2018 IP
  7. ATMD

ATMD Member

Best Answers:
    I have the opposite experience with featured content. Google placed my content along with a featured photo from my site at the top of SERP, this photo serves as an advertisement for my website :)

I hope it works out well for you somehow, I think it would be better to view it as an opportunity rather than a threat. I suggest taking full advantage of this feature. Post a featured photo you would want everyone to see for example.

ATMD, Jan 8, 2019 IP
  8. gabriel1995

gabriel1995 Peon

Best Answers:
    I am to get featured snippets, as those blogs get more hits from google

gabriel1995, May 11, 2019 IP
  9. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    @ATMD
    how do I post a featured photo?
    Thanks

JEET, May 25, 2019 IP
  10. niceboy

niceboy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with op here. If most of the answers were directly given by Google using the scraped content from publisher sites, who will visit the publishers websites? It definitely helps Visitors and Google, but I dont know if it helps the publishers in any way.

niceboy, May 27, 2019 IP
    JEET likes this.
  11. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I know. In my last few searches, I did not even visited the sites from where google stole the data. Out of the 10 searches, I might hav visited 4-5 websites, rest answer was at google only...

JEET, Jun 1, 2019 IP