1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Advice needed please

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by ChrisJ7, Aug 16, 2018.

got a bit of a head scratcher here, I'm putting together a site for my son who is starting up digital marketing, www.tomjauncey.me the issue seems to be that one of the text sections seems to bleed over onto the above text section when viewed on a mobile, I'm by no means an expert in this field, maybe someone with more experience would be able to put me on the right track,
    thank you in advance,
    Chris

ChrisJ7, Aug 16, 2018 IP
  2. infogle

infogle Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You need to correct the CSS of the website. If you know how to do it...

infogle, Aug 16, 2018 IP
  3. ChrisJ7

ChrisJ7 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Many thanks for letting me know what to look at, I don't know how but will go look and learn how, thank you :) [edit] this is a huge learning curve, can anyone point me to a tutorial please?, tia.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    ChrisJ7, Aug 16, 2018 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Ugh, the timing of the slide ins is all wrong and that gray is way too pale for my old eyes!

It looks like you fixed the problem but, just checking, you know how to get developer tools up by right mouse clicking? and how you can mess with the css and html?
    upload_2018-8-17_8-22-28.png

sarahk, Aug 16, 2018 IP
  5. c.cartier

c.cartier Peon

Best Answers:
    Is the Text in <div>, or in a text box? you might want to check the height, when the screen changes or use Media Querry. Check out W3schools.com

c.cartier, Aug 16, 2018 IP
  6. ChrisJ7

ChrisJ7 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It is for my 60 year old eyes too Sara, any tips on how to open the css and html greatly appreciated, I did try opening the css files generated by Muse with notepad, but which file and what to look for is my next problem, appreciate all the input from everyone :)

ChrisJ7, Aug 17, 2018 IP
  7. c.cartier

c.cartier Peon

Best Answers:
    it should be in a script tag, If it is a external file it will be under a script file document, css will be in a css document. i do not know about "Muse" I use only notepad for everything... As for timing issues add a setTimeout(function("") should look some what like this...

<script>
    document.documentElement.className = 'js'; // adds .js class to <html> tag
    var slides = document.getElementById('slideshow').getElementsByTagName('div');
    function slideShow(i){ // http://jsfiddle.net/Wja4r/
        slides.className = '';
        if(i == slides.length -1){ slides[0].className = 'show'; i = -1; }
        if(i > -1 ){ slides[i+1].className = 'show'; }
            setTimeout(function(){ slideShow(++i % slides.length) }, 5000); // show each slide for 5 secs
        }
    setTimeout(function(){ slides[0].className = 'show'; }, 1); // style first slide on page load
    setTimeout(function(){ slideShow(0) }, 5000); // show first slide for 5 secs
    </script>
    PHP:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2018
    c.cartier, Aug 18, 2018 IP
  8. Pavel Yudkevich

Pavel Yudkevich Peon

Best Answers:
    As said before the problem is in the CSS.
    There are 2 possible options for that kind of bug: float or position attributes which allow html elements to be displayed one of top of the other.
    I played a bit with you sites' css in the browser however couldn't find the root of the problem.
    You can also try playing with the margin-top of your paragraph, this will not solve the root problem but will fix the visual effect.
    Hope this brings you closer to the solution.

Pavel Yudkevich, Aug 29, 2018 IP
  9. ChrisJ7

ChrisJ7 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Ok, I think I have managed to solve most of the issues, and the site is looking much better, what I am now experiencing is sometimes the page is not loading, seems to occur mostly on apple devices, and my own home pc, sometimes it will load right a way, other times it, it simply will not, the last thing I added was some code, in Muse> page properties>Metadata>HTML for head
    <meta property="og:image" content="https://drive.google.com/uc?id=1BFCq0nuUeqzg_pj6ilurxwZZjomrA3xA" />
    Code (markup):
    this was that so when a link is shared via facebook messenger, an image is shown along with the pasted link to the site, whether this has caused some kind of a bottle neck, be grateful for any tips please, getting there slowly, and enjoying the learning curve.

ChrisJ7, Sep 11, 2018 IP
  10. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I don't know what this used to look like, so I have nothing to compare your site to.

However, you have no navigation, no text, no anything except a picture of a boy praying on a gray background. The picture bleeds off of the screen to the right, but will not move to the left even when I move the scroll bar to the far right. Never ever have seen a scroll bar issue like that. Have no idea where to point you since I cannot get the picture to do anything.

Using FF on a Dell.

mmerlinn, Sep 11, 2018 IP
  11. ChrisJ7

ChrisJ7 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    oops, that is the link an old page, this is the correct link http://tomjauncey.co.uk/

ChrisJ7, Sep 11, 2018 IP
  12. mmerlinn

Best Answers:
    Now all I get is a blank white page with nothing on it.

13. ChrisJ7

ChrisJ7 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yes, this is what keeps happening here too, I have contacted Fasthosts, and they say there are no issues, yet if I clear the cache, it pops back, then again it will not reload, the code is the last thing we added, I even tried removing that code, but still nothing, seems to effect apple devices, I will try deleting all files from the server and re-upload the site again.

ChrisJ7, Sep 11, 2018 IP
  14. mrdo

mrdo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I see your site perfectly now (Google chrome)

mrdo, Sep 11, 2018 IP
  15. mmerlinn

Best Answers:
    I am on a Dell with FF here. Will try on my Apple with FF tomorrow.

16. ChrisJ7

ChrisJ7 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Just wanted to thank everyone for the helpful suggestions, I think I have brought the site to as good as I'm going to get it at my current level of ability, a few pointers on SEO would also be helpful, thank you all again, Chris :)

ChrisJ7, Sep 28, 2018 IP