1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What's the best free slider?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by mcfc4eva, May 10, 2018.

Hi everyone!

Just wondering what your favourite slider is to use in front-end development?

My favourite premium slider is 'Slider Revolution' (on CodeCanyon). I'm looking for an open-source/free alternative, every one I find looks really outdated.

Regards,
    -M

mcfc4eva, May 10, 2018 IP
  2. Galaxyrover

Galaxyrover Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would not try to find "the best" one. I would first formulate slider features which I need, then try to find one with these features.

Galaxyrover, May 11, 2018 IP
  3. mcfc4eva

mcfc4eva Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Something similar to the one on milsomhotels.com, key points being the responsiveness, ability of HTML5 video backgrounds, text headers/descriptions, parallax effect and most importantly the smooth in/out transitions of the text.

mcfc4eva, May 13, 2018 IP
  4. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    As said here:
    There is no best. IMO though, what you want to use, the slider, is actually user UNfriendly. Your viisitor may be amused by it the first time, but each visit will find it less amusing and more annoying. His attention is drawn away from the why of his being there. It may even hide from him the means of finding his target as everything above the fold is hidden by the slider or other boilerplate stuff.

As Kelly, the sysadmin said to the HolmesIV AI, known as Mycroft (Sherlock's smarter brother), some things are always funny and some are funny once. Sliders are funny once, if then.

Take care your client doesn't shoot himself in the foot by putting "ooh shiny" ahead of his customers.

gary

kk5st, May 13, 2018 IP
  5. gutterboy

gutterboy Member

Best Answers:
    There is a heck of a lot of sliders out there, but after using many of them I find Slick pretty good: http://kenwheeler.github.io/slick/

They also have a WP plugin here: https://wordpress.org/plugins/slick-slider/

In saying that though, I agree with Gary - there has been a lot of studies on sliders done and the news isn't good; so be very careful that you need one and use them sparingly.

gutterboy, May 14, 2018 IP