1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Creating Duplicate Content/Results!

Discussion in 'Google' started by T0PS3O, Dec 19, 2006.

I noticed this the last few days and it's now even more of an irony now Google explained why Duplicate Content is a bad experience today.

Search for a phrase that you know will yield a dead certain number one with one of those expanded results. I tried second life knowing the official website will be #1. Look at the screenshot below.

[​IMG]

Note the expanded results of the secondlife.com domain includeding the /whatis/ page.

Now look at the #2. :eek: :confused: How is that for a duplicate content experience?! It's not even on https or a different subdomain either.

I've seen it on many searches like 'microsoft' and others.

Looks like a bug to me.

Attached Files:

T0PS3O, Dec 19, 2006 IP
  2. angielski

angielski Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, I've seen this before. It is like that for about a month or more. What can we do? :D The only thing is that our page is in that position ;]

angielski, Dec 19, 2006 IP
  3. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    I noticed this the other day. Can't remember what the search term was though.

Using this its clear the page is strong but it seems strange for it to be listed twice.

mad4, Dec 19, 2006 IP
  4. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    To me it looks like this 'expanded box' clashes with the 'indented results'.

So they find that the domain qualifies for this multi result expansion, and then they also find that they'd normally add the whatis/ page as an indented result. But they don't go alongside eachother in the current GUI so they stick it as a real #2 which IMO is a bad experience, useless to the end user.

They ask us not to create this bad user experience by avoiding duplicate content yet they choose to facilitate it themselves.

BTW here's another one: http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=skype&btnG=Search&meta= Note the Download link is the first result in the expanded bit and also the 2nd overall. To make matters worse the skype.org is an exact copy of the .com so why the heck is Google listing them again? Same with skype.net further down page 1 :eek:

T0PS3O, Dec 19, 2006 IP
  5. NetMidWest

NetMidWest Peon

Best Answers:
    Sure enough. Check this out: http://oy-oy.eu/page/shingles/report.aspx?p=mIDxQIWLdt#report

Why is it different for them? Because Google does not care about the little guy. Haven't you learned that lesson yet? :D
    The 302 redirect hijack, and Google's slow reaction to fixing it, is what taught me that lesson...

Shoot, if you're big enough, they will even list your site in the news twice...
    http://news.google.com/news?filter=0&q=web+merger+flops :rolleyes:

NetMidWest, Dec 19, 2006 IP
  6. imgtube

imgtube Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    On some searches I was doing there was a few pages from the same website. It has only happened to me 3-4 times but when it happens it is really annoying.

imgtube, Dec 19, 2006 IP
  7. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Interesting link thanks!

Trying that Skype search again today, .org is gone for me so maybe they've been listening to our moans!

T0PS3O, Jan 3, 2007 IP
  8. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    I've seen it time after time over the last few weeks. Maybe its not a bug but a feature?

mad4, Jan 3, 2007 IP
  9. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Whatever it is, it's crap and contradicting their own guidelines so IMO they shuold stop doing it.

T0PS3O, Jan 4, 2007 IP
  10. duilen

duilen Active Member

Best Answers:
    This part cracks me up...

duilen, Jan 4, 2007 IP