1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

As Google is the biggest engine what is the copyright.

Discussion in 'Google' started by paulgee, Feb 15, 2018.

I have been looking at copyright infringement today and it has raised several questions for me initially as Google but this concerns all crawlers and bots and creative licence and of course freedom.

Question one: Where does Google stand regarding copyright infringement or “any other robot for that matter” On The content it crawls the serves? I.e. search results.

NLA Media licensing is not only requiring non infringement on content but also the title too!

This also raises further questions where.

I saw a post where it said “Do not to bother building your own robot or crawler as Google has deep pockets.”

The truth is I feel that this also takes away any creative possibilities for any future, i.e. say this law existed in 1998 when Larry Page and Sergey Brin had their fabulous idea to create Google itself.

Would that mean that Google would never have existed and we would be stuck with AltaVista and other search engines forever? And where AltaVista dominates the internet

AND

With this restriction who knows what wonderful ideas could be destroyed in the future? There may be another Larry Page and Sergey Brin out there creating something better than google itself.

AND

As regards dominating the market this law “could essentially” make Google dominant forever, is that a world we would want?

Would be interested in your opinions on this subject :)

Paul

paulgee, Feb 15, 2018 IP
  2. Kaiti

Kaiti Active Member

Best Answers:
    these questions were on google webmaster, or somewhere else?

Kaiti, Feb 19, 2018 IP
  3. paulgee

paulgee Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No they were not I could not find them?

and if you have seen them do you know where? I would like them answered if possible.

So far I have not found an answer!

paulgee, Feb 21, 2018 IP
  4. BoyJohnson

BoyJohnson Active Member

Best Answers:
    Paul you're right, Google may never have existed in it's current form. The same could be said for 100s of different inventions. We did have search engines and who knows, Yahoo was the dominant at the time, they could of taken over the world. And who knows what may have happened in Blockbuster and Lovefilm joined up properly before Netflix.

As for copyright infringement, Google are subject to infringement laws however, they are somewhat different to you and I. If I publish a post on copyrighted material and Google index it then I breach copyright and it becomes searchable. When the copyrighted party get's involved, Google only becomes in breach of copyright if they fail to remove it from the index when asked as they are only replicating what's on other websites.

If Google, however, decide to directly infringe copyright, it would have to be via one of their products and not a crawled website, taking it away from search. Maybe in their blog or other products they acquire.

It doesn't mean Google have a full monopoly on things though. Even though they do! Someone could come up with something bigger and better although Google are the best search engine and take 95% market share. I'm sure you remember a time before iPhone when Blackberry and Nokia had the market share on mobile phones. The big names are up for grabs you just need deep pockets large cahones and a great idea.

BoyJohnson, Feb 28, 2018 IP
    paulgee likes this.
  5. dscurlock

dscurlock Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Rome was not built in a day, and one would have thought back then that Rome would fall, but it did. The Roman empire was powerful at the peak of their hey-day, however, another leader from another country was more powerful, and no doubt a Barbarian, however, rome fell due to several reasons, not just one, but rome did fall. In away, Goole is not much different then Rome, but that does not mean Google will never fall, and it all comes down to good leadership on how the company overall is run. The Weinstein company at one time was worth around one billion dollars, and he fell within just one day, now, his company is worth nothing due to the sex scandal that haunts the company name.

as long as google keeps a clean noise, and does not get caught up in any type of scandals, then they may roll for a long time...
    Just one big scandal can bring a powerful company to its knees just about overnight these days....

You can not blame google for being greedy...
    They started the company like any other people have, and have been
    able to turn their empire into a mega empire, if you had done this, would
    you be any different? When you have that much control, then you do
    whatever it takes. Google is not here to enrich your personal life because
    you dont like their rules; This is about google making money, not you....

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    dscurlock, Feb 28, 2018 IP
  6. BoyJohnson

BoyJohnson Active Member

Best Answers:
    Whoa I've never said Google shouldn't be here? Or I don't like them. I love what Google do and where they come from.

I said they are strong. You'd have to be big and ground breaking to beat them. They're a monster of a business and if i was in their position id of taken over the world much sooner haha

BoyJohnson, Feb 28, 2018 IP
  7. paulgee

paulgee Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

I agree with everything you have said, I also remember a time before mobiles :) and the first brick mobiles and hard drives now used as book ends and door stops.

it appears that it is becoming more difficult to reproduce content online (from a robot perspective), which is not necessarily a bad thing......... personally, if I pay someone to produce an original article or piece of work and/or I spend several hours producing content only for someone to come along and steal it is unfair so in this case I consider this a good thing that copyright laws are becoming more enforceable on a legal standing.

In the same breath I am also a programmer so collecting information even for analysis is becoming increasingly more difficult.

https://www.gov.uk/newspaper-licensing-agency-business-licence

http://www.nlamediaaccess.com/default.aspx?tabid=132

paulgee, Mar 1, 2018 IP
  8. JoeGrey

JoeGrey Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I think it would fall under fair use as they are just listing and pointing users to the publisher's page? It is no different than someone posting the title and linking to an article in a forum post?

JoeGrey, Mar 9, 2018 IP