1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Easydns.com stole my domain name

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by mitsy, Jan 17, 2018.

I have experienced a very bad issue at easydns.com. I own a domain name (youtube-mp3.to) at them which the expiration date is 23 JAN 2018. But last week i saw that my domain is now registered by someone else.

i have asked easydns support, but they told me that .to domains are automatically open for new registrations 15 days BEFORE the expiration date (very ridiculous). That's a very interesting explanation cuz the faq page at tonic.to (who runs the .to registry) indicates that the domains are open for new registrations even AFTER 30 days of expiration date.
    Then i emailed tonic.to about this issue and they have verified me that they could see the registry is altered! Now easydns stopped explanations for my ticket.
    This means that easydns can steal your domain names!
    I wanted to warn all easydns customers about this. Save yourself and transfer your valuable domains to another registrar before you experience the same issue like me :(

anybody experienced something similar to me? any advice for me to save my domain name back?
    (at my easydns account panel, it still shows that domain is owned by me -which is normal-, but currently registry is altered and i cannot renew and protect my domain name. here is the screenshot)

easydns3-2.png

mitsy, Jan 17, 2018 IP
  2. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    They probably don't want to get sued over the trademark violations. I doubt that the domain name will be used by anyone again.

qwikad.com, Jan 17, 2018 IP
    Arick unirow and sarahk like this.
  3. mitsy

mitsy Active Member

Best Answers:
    yeah you may be right :) i hope they will give me the domain rights back to me..

mitsy, Jan 17, 2018 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    If they don't want to be sued, then they probably won't. You might need to negotiate a push to another domain registrar.

sarahk, Jan 17, 2018 IP
    Arick unirow likes this.
  5. mitsy

mitsy Active Member

Best Answers:
    somebody is trying to sell the domain meanwhile.. best practice for them is this way, sell the domain, take the money, all is good :)
    but the thing they forgot is, domain is not so popular. there was around 600k daily connections to the domain, and im sure they thought that there is huge traffic, maybe this pushed them to steal the domain.. but those are not actual visitors, all requests were made by another server to this domain :D

mitsy, Jan 17, 2018 IP
  6. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Have you talked to your lawyer?

sarahk, Jan 17, 2018 IP
  7. mitsy

mitsy Active Member

Best Answers:
    not yet but i think i have to start legal process asap. (especially before the expiration date)

mitsy, Jan 17, 2018 IP
  8. StuntPope

StuntPope Active Member

Best Answers:
    This is Mark from easyDNS (CEO). We're aware of this situation and we're trying to get to the bottom of it. We manage .TO domains via our backend partner who handles a lot of ccTLDs and new GTLDs (EPAG).

We're working on figuring out why this happened and if there's anything we can do about it, I don't want to comment too much further because we're still working on it.

To the original poster, I sent you an email a couple hours ago, sorry I should have sent you one yesterday when I first heard about this and became involved in the situation.

- mark

StuntPope, Jan 17, 2018 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  9. mitsy

mitsy Active Member

Best Answers:
    hello mark, thanks for replying the thread.
    actually i primarily care about taking back the rights of my domain, secondarily i care about the reason how this has happened. Please do whatever it's needed as soon as possible to solve this problem. we lost too many visitors because of you, and you lose reputation on the market, this is not good for both of us.
    i'm sure you will help and lets close this issue without any further problems

mitsy, Jan 17, 2018 IP
  10. mitsy

mitsy Active Member

Best Answers:
    by "lets close" i meant to solve the issue by giving the domain back to me, not closing as it is

mitsy, Jan 17, 2018 IP
  11. StuntPope

StuntPope Active Member

Best Answers:
    I totally understand. If it were up to me, you'd have it back already. The problem is it is not within our power to restore it at the moment. But we haven't given up on this. We're still working on it.

StuntPope, Jan 17, 2018 IP
  12. mitsy

mitsy Active Member

Best Answers:
    thanks for taking care of the issue personally. i hope to get good news from your side

mitsy, Jan 17, 2018 IP
  13. mitsy

mitsy Active Member

Best Answers:
    hi mark, any progress on the issue?

mitsy, Jan 19, 2018 IP
  14. mitsy

mitsy Active Member

Best Answers:
    just like i guessed, nothing more than a reply which look like i'm taken care of..
    any news mark? are we getting the domain back? or you have accepted that we lost it?

mitsy, Jan 22, 2018 IP
  15. StuntPope

StuntPope Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've been emailing you over the weekend with updates and sent you a bunch today:

domain is back, in your account, has already been reverted to your previous nameservers (but your website is showing an error page right now, you'll have to check into that)

we still have to complete an inbound transfer and we've sent you the auth code to complete that.

StuntPope, Jan 23, 2018 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  16. mitsy

mitsy Active Member

Best Answers:
    thats an awesome news! thanks for caring and saving the name back to us again!

mitsy, Jan 24, 2018 IP
  17. StuntPope

StuntPope Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm sorry it happened. Big clusterf*ck. Had help from Tonic, Tucows and Uniregistry to clean it up.

StuntPope, Jan 24, 2018 IP
  18. BMR777

BMR777 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I just found this thread and I was wondering what the root cause of the domain getting transferred away was. I am also an EasyDNS customer and I am curious as to how this happened. Was this something at the account level (ex the user's account got hacked / reused password, etc), a problem at EasyDNS or a problem originating at another registrar?

BMR777, Feb 11, 2018 IP
  19. mitsy

mitsy Active Member

Best Answers:
    problem was not by my account password etc. Mark has told me that it was because of the background at .to registry. i'm not sure who is the real responsible behind this.. but easydns recovered the domain name back to me. i lost %80 of my traffic during this problem, but getting recovered is much better than not being taken care of. easydns did their best to help me and i appreciate it.

mitsy, Feb 15, 2018 IP
    BMR777 likes this.
  20. scylla

scylla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It does not mean that easydns stole your domain name, it means that you failed to renew the .to domain 15 days before it expired, so someone else snatched it up. Next time, don't wait until the last minute to try to do something about renewing the domain.

scylla, Apr 15, 2018 IP