1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Endless login/logout loop bitching about adblock

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by deathshadow, Dec 28, 2017.

I set up a new machine, and am trying to log in on it -- and despite NOT having installed ANY adblock yet, neither FF or Vivaldi will let me stay logged in for more than a second, before the page reloads, logging me out and bitching me out for running an adblock.

This surprises me somewhat since my normal two machines ARE running adblocks and purr along quite happily -- I thought "ok, I'll install the adblocks" and after matching my vivaldi configurations 1:1 I STILL am unable to log in on the new laptop without it immediately booting me back out.

Despite

I flushed cookies, I emptied sessions, I made sure that the browser I'm typing on now and the one that isn't working are identically configured right down to the exact same stylish overrides. NOTHING.

Wonder if this is why traffic here has dropped to near zero; people can't stay logged in, and if you can't stay logged in you can't even bitch about it.

deathshadow, Dec 28, 2017 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well I've never heard of Vivaldi before, but I went ahead and install it to try. Was able to log in (and stay logged in) just fine without any issues with it.

The only thing you need to log in is cookies and JavaScript enabled. Once you are logged in, you just need cookies (don't need JS to stay logged in). Have you messed with any settings or installed any extensions? If you are getting the message about ad blocking, then something went very wrong and unexpected on the client-side (within your browser environment). Hard to say what that is without access to your machine/browser instance, but it doesn't appear to be anything with a stock Vivaldi installation as I just tried.

One thing you might want to look at if it's specific to the machine, but not the browser is what sort of built-in things you have running on the operating system that might be affecting network traffic (looking at it and more specifically altering it en-route). Things like anti-virus software or the likes. Sounds like it's going to be one of those things that you are going to have to narrow down on the machine itself. Okay so it's not specific to the browser since it's the same with Vivaldi and Firefox. If stuff works fine from other machines on the same network, then it's not the network or upstream firewall. Which points to that specific machine. So what's unique about that machine and what's running on that machine that could be mucking with underlying network traffic (anti-virus software would be the first thing I would look at).

Side question, Vivaldi is basically Chrome repackaged (can even install Chrome extensions), what is the point of it instead of just using Chrome normally?

The upside to Vivaldi more or less being Chrome is it has all the good Chrome debugging tools so you should be able to see things like errors on the console, errors with individual HTTP requests, you can see what cookies/HTTP headers are being sent/received with every request, etc.

digitalpoint, Dec 28, 2017 IP
  3. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Thing is a clean vanilla no extensions installed Firefox does it too... and I find it unlikely to be the AV since it's Panda, which is ALSO installed on all my other machines. It's a VERY strange behavior since Vivaldi on my workstation configured with adblock plus, ghostery, the anti-block in tampermonkey, stylish telling your inaccessible broken styles here to shove it are present and working fine -- ALL things I would EXPECT to make the site fail.

The strangest part is HOW it's logging me out. It APPEARS to log in, works for about five seconds, then the page refreshes and logs me out showing the "You're running an adblocker" warning. STRANGE that the machines I AM running an adblock on do NOT do this... and for laughs I tried my netbook which ALSO just got a fresh install, and it's doing it too. What's REALLY wrong with that is said netbook is FRESHLY installed and hasn't even had an AV put on it yet. It's JUST Win 10 and Edge... So I can't even stay logged in on Edge with nothing else installed!

Has me worried that there might be something in the latest Win10 that if you do a fresh install is incompatible with these forums!

To be frank, for an OLD Opera user -- aka from before they told all their loyal users to go F*** themselves by slopping the Opera logo onto Chromium any old away -- Vivaldi gives us back ALMOST all the things "out of box" that made us use Opera in the first place. Like portrait mode tabs, like rocker navigation and gestures, like in-built accessibility overrides. About the only thing it doesn't have is a in-built mail client.

Extensions to do portrait tabs for Chrome suck because it puts them in an external window and doesn't get rid of the stupid malfing useless tab bar across the top. In firefox such extensions work better but cause massive stability issues. With Vivaldi it just works. You go to settings, choose "right" and boom, your tabs are a column on the right using up screen space that would otherwise go wasted.

It gives you far finer control over the user interface than other browsers; as others continue to dumb down things to the point they make IE3 for Mac look robust and customizable, Vivaldi lets you do all sorts of changes and gives you a slew of choices on how it looks, how it behaves, letting you match the browser to your own workflow.

This is further enhanced by it being a web application built with react, sharing more in common with atom or visual studio code than being a native executable. The underlying executable being functionally similar if not identical to how nw.js or electron work -- to that end you inject add your OWN personal JavaScript and CSS into the browser to control EVERY aspect of its appearance. Basically you can skin the browser with HTML, CSS, and JavaScript because the browser ITSELF is BUILT with those!

The folder-driven speed dial also being light-years ahead of the default or even any extensions I've seen for other browsers.

It is basically what Opera on Blink SHOULD have been, as opposed to the half-assed halfwitted pathetically backwards slop they gave us and told us to like regardless of how many basic features were missing from it.

THIS is why I use Vivaldi:
    http://www.cutcodedown.com/images/vivaldi.png

That it has everything that chrome does too right down to extension compatibility? Icing on the cake.

deathshadow, Dec 29, 2017 IP
  4. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
  5. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    deathshadow, Dec 29, 2017 IP
  6. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well I tried it on both an OS X machine and a vanilla Windows 10 machine (100% vanilla, literally nothing else installed on it, but all Windows patches up to date). No problem on either machine for me.

Honestly not really sure what to even have you look at... clearly it's something specific to certain machines since other machines on the same network work for you (so not a network issue). If you want to try and figure it out, I'll help how I can... maybe try disabling the anti-virus just as a test? Not sure why it would affect one machine but not the other... but best suggestion I can offer right now is just disable stuff of processes until it starts working to try and narrow it down. Impossible to try and debug on this end because I can't get it to *not* work.

One thing that's possible is your machine is having an issue with a sub-domain that is serving the JavaScript. If you look at this URL directly, do you get anything weird (it should just be minimized JS if it's okay for you):

https://x.dpstatic.com/j/xenforo/xenforo.js?_v=6ec1d2a3

digitalpoint, Dec 30, 2017 IP
  7. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    I basically had to block x.dpstatic.com/j to get the site working on this laptop. Even in a clean browser with nothing extra going on -- no adblocks, no AV, not a blasted thing else going on, the script loaded from there is forcing an immediate logout/page reload in Edge, Chrome, Vivaldi, and Firefox.

/FAIL/ at JavaScript. LOVE to see that script without the minification... or not given the train wreck of jQuery asshattery it appears to be.

Wonder how many other users are impacted by this and cannot even complain about it. It's sad when you have to install an adblock and block a directory to get around a broken adblock detector... and people wonder why I frown on that asshattery.

For anyone out there having this problem, either block JavaScript, or install adblock plus, and add "||x.dpstatic.com/j" to your manual filters.

Oh well, no scripted enhancements.... can still be used without them. (and no, you apparently don't need JS to log in either)

deathshadow, Dec 30, 2017 IP