1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

FCC Repeals Net Neutrality! (click here for no more rights)

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by dscurlock, Dec 14, 2017.

FCC wants to remove some regulations for ISP providers...
    What do you think giving more control to ISPs, they could
    offer more, offer less, raise your ISP rates, etc...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/14/technology/net-neutrality-repeal-vote.html

or maybe ISPs will control your life like the govt does....

what does this mean?

more rights for ISPs....
    less rights for consumers...

I would imagine these rules were put into place to protect
    consumers to begin with, now the FCC wants to get rid of them...

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    dscurlock, Dec 14, 2017 IP
  2. addaminsane

addaminsane Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    lots of potential drawbacks ... but I also like the idea of government being less involved ...

addaminsane, Dec 14, 2017 IP
  3. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    The scariest words you can hear if you are a businessperson: "I'm from the government and I am here to help."

Note that the Internet did just fine without the Kenyan's blatant reach for ever more power in 2015 when his stooges on the FCC decided that they knew better how to run the Internet and implemented "Net Neutrality." They decided that open and honest competition and the marketplace of ideas was not the way to go. They, and only they, had the wisdom to decide how the Internet should operate. Classic hubris borne of their unquenchable thirst for power over everyone and everything. And, by the way, just like the Kenyan weaponized the IRS and the DOJ to go after their enemies, I am sure that they would have eventually gotten around to that with ISP's, as well. Keep in mind that these were the same nutjobs that were openly discussing going after conservative talk radio and cable news because they did not like what was being said in that media.

jrbiz, Dec 15, 2017 IP
    grpaul likes this.
  4. dscurlock

dscurlock Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If you think about it, we are already under the control of the rich...

you buy your food, not hunt for it.
    You buy your gas/petro, not process your own.
    You pay for electric, not create it yourself.
    You pay for your water....
    You pay for merchandise/items that you cant make yourself.
    Your banking is controlled by govt regulations, rich political leaders have
    no issues taking your money, with minor changes, then they could
    tell you what you can or can not spend your money on, and you
    really can not get by without having a bank account these days....
    (if the govt controls the bank, then they control you....)

now they are going after your internet freedoms...
    (and having internet costs enough as it is....)

and why not, the govt changes the constitution of our
    founding fathers to suit their needs, and call it legal....

now they call it "giving you a tax break..." then in
    7-8 years, they will taking the tax break back by
    giving you a tax increase, while giving the rich
    permanent tax breaks, and they are doing this under
    the assumption that companies are going to invest
    more in their business, which is not true, at the very
    least, all the upper management are likely to get good raises.
    (Growth wont happen, and the working class get screwed again...)

and if you ever thought trump is working for you...
    he is not, he is working for himself. He was never going
    into office to help any one else other then himself and rich cronies...

dscurlock, Dec 19, 2017 IP
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Think about the impact it's going to have on international traffic.
    I want to access your site from outside the US - how's that going to be affected?
    I want to buy webhosting - do I go with Google/AWS because they can mirror to "offshore" datacentres? Or do I choose a non-US hosting company? What happens to all the little companies?
    This site might be determined to be sharing valuable intel. Does that mean that the US will stop me accessing it so that I can't compete against US businesses?

sarahk, Dec 19, 2017 IP
  6. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    LOL, welcome to civilization. Of course, you do have the option of moving to Alaska and going off the grid entirely.

Note that Trump is the first modern president who did NOT take campaign funds from the wealthy donors (i.e., the rich) that you are so against. As a consequence, he is free to do what he feels is right and not what the rich, the Swamp, etc., want him to do. He is already a billionaire so it is entirely possible that he became president to give back to the country, as he has said consistently. Of course, if all you do is listen to the lamestream media and their hysterics, you will think that the sky is falling when, in fact, Trump has mostly done what he promised in his campaign (which is unheard of for politicians who typically lie on the campaign trail to get elected and then do what they want once in office) and has had a very successful year in many ways...much more, in fact, than I thought possible.

How did you survive prior to 2015 when the Kenyan implemented this overt power grab called Net Neutrality? Barry and his Chicago thug cronies were on their way to politically weaponizing the FCC, just like they did to the IRS and the DOJ, only this time to go after conservative groups on the Internet. That is why they are so hysterical and the histrionics are so loud right now because the power freaks do not like losing new power that they had just amassed. Capitalism and the power of the marketplace worked just fine for the Internet prior to 2015 and it will do so moving forward. There just won't be a few government hacks from the Swamp running the show as they have been trying to do since 2015.

jrbiz, Dec 20, 2017 IP
  7. dscurlock

dscurlock Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    1: trump did not need any money to run....
    2: It was a marketing campaign to get you to think it
    he was different from others by not accepting funding
    which he did not need to begin with, there is not that
    many filthy rich people out there that could do this....

It is not your fault, you have been brainwashed by trump...
    trump is consistently caught from one lie to another. I honestly
    do not care what trump did on the far side of the planet that
    does little to nothing for everyone else. He is certainly going to
    do something in office, but nothing for you and I....

If trump wants to impress me, then he should kill this tax cut which
    is nothing more then a future tax increase, or make the tax cuts to
    the middle class permanent, and I already know that trump is the
    swamp, in fact, once he passed this tax bill (if it gets to his desk)
    then this will just prove that trump, congress, rich are the swamp....

Our govt makes billion dollar back door deals with 3rd party
    countries when in fact, we can not take care of our very own people....
    We blow up bad guys, then help them rebuild roads, and schools...

trump says he will be hurt by this new tax plan...
    (oh wait, that is yet another lie from trump...)

dscurlock, Dec 20, 2017 IP
  8. grpaul

grpaul Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What changes? Liberals spit on the constitution, daily.

Growth, actually, is already happening, and lots of it. Open your eyes.

Welcome to America - it is amazing how so many can despise or envy someone for simply being more successful or having more money than them. . He's a billionaire (get over it) who took zero salary and has been doing amazing things so far to help and advance our country. Something I feel like he thought he honestly had to do (and he said this for many years), given where we were. What exactly has he done to "help himself"?

And, how exactly is he helping his rich friends?

grpaul, Dec 20, 2017 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  9. grpaul

grpaul Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

LOL! Wow, and the Clinton's "needed" to raise and spend billions?

Just like Obama - he had to do it.

Wow. Great. Statements.

Where do you do your research? There are actually plenty of rich people living in this country. .

grpaul, Dec 20, 2017 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  10. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Unlike you, of course, who knows nothing about what is going on except the talking points put out by the left. No facts, just talking points for you. :rolleyes:

jrbiz, Dec 20, 2017 IP
    grpaul likes this.
  11. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    and there we go back into the sewer. No honest discussion, just name calling etc.

I didn't need to have an opinion before because I do not, and never will, live in the USA. At my age I'd never be given residency. What I do need to do is be aware of the potential impact on my clients in the future. It's hard to make business decisions without factoring in the US so we can't just ignore the country. We have to think about whether we risk our business assets by locating them on American servers etc.

sarahk, Dec 20, 2017 IP
  12. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Here's some honest discussion: how did you make business decisions on behalf of your clients in 2014 and before in light of the U.S.? We could not be ignored then, either. Did you worry about risking your business assets by locating them on American servers just three years ago before these crazy regulations were implemented? Does NZ have Net Neutrality laws? Or for that matter, does any country now have Net Neutrality laws that will offer your clients a "safer" haven now that you are suddenly aware of this "catastrophic" event? And what, exactly, would you be risking in terms of business assets if you were to put them on American servers that you would not be risking somewhere else?

Obama's and his thugs' doublespeak on "Net Neutrality" has been bought into, hook, line and sinker, by people who do not even know what it involved. "Neutrality" had nothing to do with his goals. Basically, his regulations were based on the principle that government bureaucrats would better decide what features and benefits of products and services were "fair" and "neutral" rather than allowing the markets to speak for themselves and for buyers to vote with their wallets (and data.) Back then, that very same FCC, run by a majority of leftists, was openly talking about censoring radio and TV that was broadcasting speech that they did not like; the intent was for them to be able to do the same on the Internet with this power grab. Had nothing to do with "Neutrality."

Here's a prediction: one year from now, all of the breathless talk about the end of the Internet will have been forgotten and nothing much will have changed. But, a whole bunch of leftist fundraising will have been accomplished by cynical opportunists who are running around saying that the sky is falling and fleecing low information voters here in the U.S. That is what the hysteria and hoopla is all about now.

jrbiz, Dec 20, 2017 IP
    grpaul likes this.
  13. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    3 years ago my clients were in NZ, their clients were in NZ so we operated completely out of NZ. No dramas, no worries about damage to the Southern Cross Cable.

Hopefully, for your sakes, this does all blow over and become a bunch of nothing. In the meantime, there is global uncertainty about doing business with the US. Whichever side you fall on, that uncertainty is not good for those Americans who are doing business overseas.

sarahk, Dec 20, 2017 IP
  14. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    But wait a minute, do you have Net Neutrality laws in NZ?

jrbiz, Dec 20, 2017 IP
    grpaul likes this.
  15. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    We probably have nothing at all but honestly, we could have the most corrupt system in the world and nobody outside the country would bat an eyelid. The USA is the complete opposite.

sarahk, Dec 20, 2017 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  16. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    LOL, the U.S. is totally infested with corrupt political swamp creatures. Even worse, I live in Rhode Island which may be the most corrupt state in the country (which is a hard distinction to achieve here.) Fear not, we are all in the same boat around the world, I suspect.

jrbiz, Dec 21, 2017 IP
  17. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    So, it has been over a year since the all-important Net Neutrality rules were ended. I am guessing that the entire Internet is now topsy-turvy, websites are going out of business, webmasters know not where to turn, bandwidth has been reduced to zero, download speeds are killing business, etc.?

Oh, nothing like that has happened? Not even a ripple? What a surprise. :rolleyes:

jrbiz, Jan 8, 2019 IP
    grpaul likes this.