1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The end of POPUNDER Industry [AKA Time to find a real job]

Discussion in 'Pay Per Click Advertising' started by BetaX, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Demian Mash

Demian Mash Active Member

Best Answers:
    Those 'shitful' pops are still in high demand. And demand creates a supply :) by those ow 'greedy' ad networks.

There's nothing much to discuss, I guess. Everything Google is doing these days is a mess like youtube design, google adwords, their dumb-o-SEO-stuff so most likely this ad-blocking feature might be traded bad for worse.

As for Clickadu, we are already testing all the possible solutions if this happens ;)

Demian Mash, Nov 13, 2017 IP
  2. popunder

popunder Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    If it would be so easy to block popups and all the workarounds Google would have done it years ago.
    The answer is it isn't. Even if they block urls from displaying popups ad networks will use hundreds of cheap .xyz to circumvent this.

It is like the USA with the prohibition, there are things you can't simply ban.

popunder, Nov 13, 2017 IP
  3. tomksoft

tomksoft Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    They are going to first blacklist sites that are noticed to use any popup/popunder network.
    Then on these blacklisted sites, on Chrome not only adblock will be enabled, but also will block window.open and target="_blank". So no matter what domain from pop is opened, it will be blocked.

tomksoft, Nov 13, 2017 IP
  4. popunder

popunder Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Since you are the biggest player in the pop business and surely a millionaire from popads.net you have hopefully hired some talented Javascript Developers to come up with a solution, right?

5. popunder

popunder Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Well have you talked to an attorney and hired some talented javascript developers to find a way around it?

The whole website could actually just be reloaded after the first few kb of javascript in a full page iframe on a .xyz domain. If you now use an invisible overlay you can still open a popup.

6. tomksoft

Best Answers:
    I do not see technical ways to go around it*. And yes, I have a lot of experience, I figured out how to do popunder on Chrome multiple times (when they blocked normal ways).
    I did talk to an attorney, but we have to wait for Google to actually start doing the blocking.

* at least no long term ones. I am considering the random domain iframe thing as well as hiding from google that we are opening pops. Yet both solutions, IF THEY WORK at all, will be temporary only.

tomksoft, Nov 13, 2017 IP
  7. ZoC

ZoC Active Member

Best Answers:
    Even if they find a way to pass there ad block, the only way for Google to success to make this update is to remove from search engine each webmaster who use popups on their website. This way all webmasters will get scared and remove the popups. Example how they did now with the banners images "Download / Play Now" if you have this type of banners on your website, they will put a red flag on your website and will be noted like malware.

ZoC, Nov 13, 2017 IP
  8. hodor1

hodor1 Member

Best Answers:
    You going to sue Google??

hodor1, Nov 14, 2017 IP
  9. methad0ne

methad0ne Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Obviously...

methad0ne, Nov 14, 2017 IP
  10. tomksoft

Best Answers:
    Yes, it is an option. What google created is pretty much a cartel(as per wikipedia: A cartel is a group of apparently independent producers whose goal is to increase their collective profits by means of price fixing, limiting supply, or other restrictive practices.).
    Few largest advertising companies in the world (you can say Google isn't one, but hey like 95% of their revenue is from advertising) gathered together and created a standard on what is allowed and what isn't. Surprisingly nothing that these adnetworks are doing isn't disallowed. One of the companies participating in the group owns largest web browser and embeds standard enforcement into it effectively killing companies that do not belong to the group. How is that not a cartel?

tomksoft, Nov 14, 2017 IP
  11. AutoSurf

AutoSurf Active Member

Best Answers:
    A relevant news article today...

UC Browser taken down from Google Play Store over ‘misleading promotions’
    UC Browser, which is a popular browser in India with over 500 million downloads globally, has disappeared from the Google Play Store. The reason appears to be misleading campaigns UC Browser was running. China-based UC Browser is the leading mobile browser in India with over 100 million base in the country and has a bigger base than Google Chrome.

If one types UC Browser in the Google Play Store, only the UC Browser mini is listed. Neither Google nor UC Web have issued a statement on why the app was taken. However, Android Police’s founder Artem Russakovskii posted about an email from UC Union (which is the company’s network affiliate) which talks about UC Browser using ‘Malicious Promotion’ methods.

AutoSurf, Nov 15, 2017 IP
  12. A.G

A.G Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Google is one of the biggest players in advertising market, and after blocking all pop ad networks, Google will become the ONLY player in the market, it's obliviously a Monopoly.

and like it has been said before, those ads in youtube videos are pretty annoying. you can't watch a video without being interrupted multiple times and sometimes not only for 5 seconds. sometimes you are obliged to watch the ad for 1 minute. I think this is very bad user experience just like popups if we want to be honest, but who cares Google is the God and will do what he wants to gain more profits

A.G, Nov 16, 2017 IP
  13. cromiu

cromiu Member

Best Answers:
    google don't have pops so how do they become the biggest player..there are ad networks without pops who are bigger than the most pop networks.

youtube ads are annoying but they don't spread malware, browser locking, criminal fraud ads, redirects and stuff like that.

the point that google doesn't even have the option to whitelist pop networks who put a lot of effort to block these campaigns and try to have a clean network..is a lil bit scatchy..

but for google that's a win win win situation...control the adblock market...control the ad market...and make the big players in the content industry happy.. because alomost all free content sites are using pops for revenue

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    cromiu, Nov 16, 2017 IP
  14. bale

bale Active Member

Best Answers:
  15. NewXclu

NewXclu Active Member

Best Answers:
    Wow...Google basically created their own format of popads and now going to blacklist other networks from their search engine.

NewXclu, Dec 2, 2017 IP
  16. tomksoft

Best Answers:
    Great find, thank you. Every time I think I hate google as much as possible, I am proven wrong...
    There is one cool answer from google employee responsible for the forum there:
    "1) According to the research, Poststitial ads on mobile devices are acceptable. These are full page ads that are served between pages on your site. I'll provide feedback to the Coalition about clarifying the definition of prestitial. "
    Oh, our popup is blocked because it is a popup and it is not allowed by better ads standard? No problem, let me talk to the "coalition" to "clarify" the definition...

tomksoft, Dec 2, 2017 IP
  17. Tristan Schlarman

Tristan Schlarman Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Could it consider google(adsense) a monopoly over the ad industry if it decided s to block ads with chrome(Like you said the most used browser) and then resell adsense ads because they are the only ones that aren't blocked?

Tristan Schlarman, Dec 3, 2017 IP
  18. AutoSurf

AutoSurf Active Member

Best Answers:
    Chrome 63 launched let's see what are the changes regarding popup/unders once users start updating their browser.

AutoSurf, Dec 8, 2017 IP
  19. JustSomeStranger

JustSomeStranger Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    This, exactly this. Double standard here is so ridiculous that's not even funny anymore. Being part (and one of the creators) of better ads standards, yet breaking their own rules.

..Way to go google.

JustSomeStranger, Dec 8, 2017 IP
  20. tomksoft

Best Answers:
    I have found way more clear and critical places where google is CLEARLY breaking better ads standards. Won't say exactly what, but if things go really bad, I will sue google basing on that, demanding equal treatment (that is force enabled adblock on google.com).

tomksoft, Dec 8, 2017 IP