1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is Wordpress best program for making websites these days?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by Captainkirk91, May 1, 2017.

1. jr777

jr777 Member

Best Answers:
    For a person like me, WP is fantastic. I know basic html and css only, so building my own website from scratch is not an option. I don't know what everyone is talking about regarding WP making sites full of errors, but mine have always worked pretty much flawlessly. The only problem I've ever run into is with plugins, but that's on the particular developer, not WP.

As far as speed goes, my WP sites have always been screaming fast. They're fast, they look fantastic, and they work. I don't know what else a person like me could ask for. I've built some sites using my own code just to do it, and they were so 1995 it wasn't even funny.

jr777, Oct 30, 2017 IP
    locals likes this.
  2. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    What you mean the dozen or so "me too" bounces by people who don't explain WHY or defend their position before you posted that, or the clear admission by some of the people who responded after that they only know "the basics" meaning they cannot realize how badly they are ***ing themselves.

Or the simple one-post wonder-***'s or mouth-breathers with their blind copypasta (filled with "Engrish moist goodry me love you long time") who look to be posting in this thread more to up their post count than to make a coherent point?

Much like you have been unable to make a coherent, rational, or fact based counterpoint?

deathshadow, Nov 1, 2017 IP
    mmerlinn and malky66 like this.
  3. locals

locals Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    "The Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read..."

locals, Nov 1, 2017 IP
  4. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    ... and still no rational arguments or anything that stands up to the slightest scrutiny. You'd almost think @locals was unqualified to flap his yap about the topic; to the point of not knowing when to keep his grease-trap shut. What's the term? Dunning-Kruger effect?

At this point it's almost like @locals is just bear-baiting -- cause if not it only further illustrates his utter and complete ignorance of... EVERYTHING.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    deathshadow, Nov 1, 2017 IP
  5. KewL

KewL Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wordpress is pretty cool if you need a quick and easy content management system for a client site. Yeah Deathshadow's sites are fast and output perfect markup, but he could never hand them off to a non-coder client that needs to manage their content.

KewL, Nov 1, 2017 IP
  6. jr777

jr777 Member

Best Answers:
    If you're so down on Wordpress, what do you think of forum software like Xenforo and vBulletin?

jr777, Nov 1, 2017 IP
  7. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Now you're really opening a can of worms......

He's just a sad troll, best ignored.

malky66, Nov 2, 2017 IP
  8. jr777

jr777 Member

Best Answers:
    I'm just curious. I see Wordpress as being kind of necessary for blogging, just like forum software is necessary for forums. It's one thing if your website has static content, but if you've got dynamic content with lots of people contributing, who may or may not be computer literate, then some form of software is an absolute necessity. And as far as software for blogging goes, I know of none better or more supported than WP.

jr777, Nov 2, 2017 IP
  9. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    They're bloated train wrecks too -- just to use this forums I HAVE to run Scriptsafe and stylish to force it into usability in terms of both accessibility failings and neutering the scripttardery that makes every page take a minute+ to load. I put in Adblock Plus, Ghostery, ScriptSafe, and Stylish and boom, normal speedy page loads. Without all that? I could NOT use these forums on a regular basis. EVEN WITH those in place I've been less and less active here as to be frank, DigitalPoint has become a bloated slow difficult to use train wreck. When ABP is blocking 3 ad services before we even TALK my blackhold domain list, ghostery is blocking 3 trackers and two more advertising scripts, and Scriptsafe is throwing safety warnings, it's hard to justify even coming here.

But that's been typical of EVERY vBull and Xenforo based forum I visit of late.

Though MOST forum software is aging like milk at this point just because nobody seems to care anymore. The people maintaining these outdated messes jones for all the new flashy stuff like junkies eying their next fix, but aren't willing to get the foundation strong enough to support it. I think a lot of that is why conventional forums are giving way to social media for a LOT of things.

I mean really, even my forum software of choice -- SMF -- has it's head wedged up it's arse still vomiting up what is for all intents and purposes HTML 3.2, and now instead of fixing that they're just slapping the 5 doctype on it and pissing on the codebase with jQuery for the next version... which is why I'm on the hunt for a forum software that doesn't suck, and coming up so short I'm playing with DIY when/if I have the time. THERE WAS A TIME when the off the shelf answers were ok, but most of them are still stuck a decade or more out of date now even though they keep slopping new stuff on top any-old-way.

If they stopped slopping scripttardery on top any old way, STOPPED slopping variables into their query strings, and bothered for ONCE using semantic markup with separation of presentation from content -- EVEN if that dialed back the feature set to 1998 it would be more USEFUL than all the fancy BULLSHIT that makes your average forum index now take a minute to load on broadband.

deathshadow, Nov 3, 2017 IP
  10. jr777

jr777 Member

Best Answers:
    I could believe these people are resting too much on their laurels. I really don't know enough to give an opinion on that either way.

But as a user, both of various forums and as an administrator of several, I couldn't do it without the software. As far as the functionality goes, I'm very happy with it. It works, and for me at least it's fast enough.

Pages on this forum typically load for me in about 2 seconds. The hover dropdowns are a bit wonky, but that's something I only experience on this forum. Both of my XF forums load pages in about 1 second or less, and I don't have any issues with them. I would say my internet speed is average, typically about 12 meg.

jr777, Nov 3, 2017 IP
  11. locals

locals Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    DigitalPoint needs to let us place laughing emojis on some of these comments... @deathshadow beats around the bush, he can not answer any other question than with what his site looks like, really how it operates, because it is a basic site filled with a bunch of copy paste text this he creates in his head LOL he just starts typing because he likes the way the keyboard sounds.

what are some of your other sites @deathshadow let's see your portfolio... let's do 3 of them, I will do 3 for 3 with you.

then we can let these people be the judge of whether or not a random persons wordpress site can outperform and still look better than... well, whatever it is you that you are claiming you do so well.

@deathshadow just post the 3 links you want to use inside your signature... that way our links don't linger around in here forever.

I doubt you are game for such a "contest" but I can not wait to hear your rebuttal

WAIT!!!! PLEASE TELL ME YOUR SITES OUR NOT DOWN RIGHT NOW LMFAO!!!!!!

@deathshadow okay, bro... I'm sorry. I didn't mean for this post to get to your ego like that. Your sites are good bro, put them back up. It's okay to have sites that look like that LOL

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2017
    locals, Nov 4, 2017 IP
  12. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    @locals, actually you caught me during a server migration. Taking a while for the domain to propagate.

-- edit -- but hey, you go first. I dare you to post ONE site of yours, since you avoid the subject like the plague; much less two.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    deathshadow, Nov 4, 2017 IP
  13. jr777

jr777 Member

Best Answers:
    This is about to get good...[​IMG]

jr777, Nov 4, 2017 IP
    locals likes this.
  14. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    4 posts in a row inside 10 minutes, learn how to use the edit button ya retard and stop artificially inflating your post count..

malky66, Nov 4, 2017 IP
    mmerlinn and deathshadow like this.
  15. David Morrison

David Morrison Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Wordpress is the best, so many add-ons available. The only other CMS that comes close is Drupal.

David Morrison, Nov 4, 2017 IP
  16. betcatalog

betcatalog Member

Best Answers:
    I've tried joolma and wordpress i prefer sure the wordpress, it has more choices, there are many tools and plugins, since most web developers only deal with it

betcatalog, Nov 4, 2017 IP
  17. locals

locals Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    LOL the last thing I care about is post count, but yes okay. What is your post that is referencing it doing?

locals, Nov 5, 2017 IP
  18. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    yes <new post> but <new post> he <new post> didn't <new post> do <new post> it <new post> like <new post> this...

You want to pull that type of stunt, go back to twitter with all the other TLDR mouth-breathers going "wah wah, I don't want to read or type" -- no wonder you're looking for writers.

deathshadow, Nov 5, 2017 IP
  19. badger_

badger_ Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I could understand using Wordpress for Grandma's website.... but... using Wordpress for a client site (AKA business site)? that's a no-go!

USING WORDPRESS FOR PUBLIC WEBSITES MAKES THE WEB LESS USEFUL.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    badger_, Nov 7, 2017 IP
    mmerlinn likes this.
  20. locals

locals Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    neither of you two could find a "client" if your life depended on it... stick to your day job

locals, Nov 7, 2017 IP