1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

$300 website companies?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by IanT, Mar 19, 2016.

I know I have seen these signs everywhere, are these truly $300 websites? Or do they try to upsell people? they are usually 5 page sites with content provided.

Have you ever sold sites this way?

IanT, Mar 19, 2016 IP
  2. KangBroke

KangBroke Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'll give you a 5 page static website for $500, but you will need to retain the TLD and hosting.

This type of website won't be able to make you any money most likely. You need to create new content regularly and establish backlinks to get traffic to convert to $.

So having a 5 page static website is sort of just an online business card.

KangBroke, Mar 19, 2016 IP
  3. IanT

IanT Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I do web design, I meant the question more as, does this work for marketing? Or do you focus on upselling?

IanT, Mar 19, 2016 IP
  4. KangBroke

KangBroke Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I never suggest to clients to come to me for X page website, each client has different needs that need to be properly analyzed. Each one cost different amounts depending on complexity.

KangBroke, Mar 19, 2016 IP
  5. slackhead

slackhead Member

Best Answers:
    Guess it depends on your market. I've seen a few "$199 for 3 page websites" on craigslist. I always wonder if they load a simple template and call it good. Or if they customize it for the customer.

slackhead, Mar 19, 2016 IP
  6. IanT

IanT Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That was the same thing I was wondering!

IanT, Mar 19, 2016 IP
  7. Jared Goss

Jared Goss Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I have found that "developers" that offer these price points install a free WordPress theme with almost no customization. They do not have the clients needs or goals in mind and are just there to take their money and give the rest of us a bad name when that client's site gets no conversion and/or engagement. They will always be leary of web designers/developers after their first bad experience. We battle this every day. Our job is to inform the client what a website should actually do, and that is to get new business. This calls for custom design, thoughtful/useful/concise content and call to actions, and page speed & onsite SEO optimization.

These "developers" will never go away. We just have to keep proving our value to a client and the ROI they will get with a professional site vs. a $199 freelancer hack.

Jared Goss, Sep 17, 2017 IP
  8. Arun Kumar Soni

Arun Kumar Soni Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Better to custom build business website instead of going to take such websites from such service providers. There are lot of flaws in them.

Arun Kumar Soni, Sep 24, 2017 IP
  9. Larry George

Larry George Peon

Best Answers:
    To be honest, for $300 you are better off doing it yourself. You have a plethora of options such as using a website builder, a WordPress plan such as the WordPress.com Business plan, or you can self host and purchase a theme. Instead of working with a shady company, do it yourself. You don't have to be a techie using platforms like WordPress or drag and drop builders. When you do it yourself you save money and you learn a skill.

Larry George, Oct 9, 2017 IP
  10. Antonio Irizarry

Antonio Irizarry Peon

Best Answers:
    Not so much upselling, but it could be two things.
    1. A crappy client

Antonio Irizarry, Oct 20, 2017 IP
  11. Antonio Irizarry

Antonio Irizarry Peon

Best Answers:
    2. Someone who wants a client, because a website will always need to be updated if used for business. Even an informational site. I sell $500 dollar informational sites and I am a true professional.

Antonio Irizarry, Oct 20, 2017 IP
  12. Patricia Ann Lee

Patricia Ann Lee Active Member

Best Answers:
    Have you heard of wordpress? I think it will cost you less, plus it's convenient and user friendly :D :D :D

Patricia Ann Lee, Oct 20, 2017 IP
  13. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hold on a second here...

While there are people who will throw together a template and say "deal with it" those aren't the people you are paying. Right? I wouldn't pay for such non-sense. If you require a simple web site (as in no fancy artwork, programming, scripting, database, etc) you can find someone who can make you a web site for $300. They may even customize a bootstrap template but who cares as long as it gets done right.
    If someone put an honest 8 hours in ($37.50 X 8 = $300) you will get a good simple web site. Most web designers wish they could get away with charging $37.50 (X 40 hrs x 52 weeks = $78k per year). I think a lot of people in this thread are completely overselling simple web design services.

With that said... most of the time web sites DO require project management/planning, programming, database work, scripting, artwork etc. And this comes with a higher price. You cannot acquire that kind of skillset for $300. But for a simple web site YES you can. I've acquired it here on DP and it's kinda funny that you CAN get it done correctly. But you must be careful of who you choose.

NetStar, Oct 29, 2017 IP