1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is Wordpress best program for making websites these days?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by Captainkirk91, May 1, 2017.

1. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Being technically challenged as I am, I cannot contribute to this topic. But I do want to give a shout out to everyone involved. You see members like me read these things and we [LEARN] from them. Thanks again everybody.:)

Spoiltdiva, Aug 8, 2017 IP
    mmerlinn, DeniG and kk5st like this.
  2. alfieindesigns

alfieindesigns Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    haha, yeah we learned and at first I thought the question were not answered but it is.
    So "Is Wordpress best program for making websites these days?" The answer is still NO!

Based on the three major site example: @locals , @mmerlinn and @deathshadow . (Note: I'm not with anyone sides. This is just my opinion)
    1. @locals site is built using Wordpress
    - taking advantage of using 'All In One SEO Pack' plugin
    - design is a bit modern but not a UX wise one, it's not direct to the point (somehow user will be confused)
    - site is live, but there's section / button that is now working
    i.e GREAT BUYS section (App Store, Google play, Windows Store) and PROFESSIONAL DOMAIN NAMES, PREMIUM DOMAIN NAMES buttons.
    > so this things for me, make his site unreliable
    -
    And lastly, his LOGO looks odd to the site (maybe need to update too)

2. @mmerlinn site is pure html
    - uses TABLE tag as major markup to build the layout
    - design is a bit old but somehow UX wise, its direct to the point
    - and I like how the 'catalog' is being layout, I can easily identify them
    - and to summarize:
    > I think the site needs some design update and add functionality like search

3. @deathshadow site is pure html and js
    - uses DIV tag as major markup to build the layout
    - design is not following the trend, but still in a nice layout to showcase his blog, so UX wise
    > Its direct to the point, no HERO Banner / Big Masthead, because it's not needed on his site
    - overall:
    > I like the blog site, it's informative about what he's posting
    > and it's responsive
    > on design aspect, maybe a little updates will do

So to rank them: (for me)
    #1 @deathshadow
    - design tells what the blog is, does not rely on any framework
    - PageSpeed: Desktop 97/100 , Mobile 91/100
    #2 @mmerlinn
    - design is a bit old, but gives direct information about the site
    - PageSpeed: Desktop 95/100 , Mobile 84/100 (Needs Work)
    #3 @locals
    - design is a bit modern but the theme used is not appropriate on the purpose of his site
    - the first two section on homepage were okay i.e. masthead and 3 steps section, but then after this, the site looks like it selling some mobile application (using the iphone as the main focal point) and not domain names.
    - PageSpeed: Desktop 80/100 (Needs Work) , Mobile 68/100 (Needs Work)

Surprisingly @locals sites is built using Wordpress (which they said "best" to use website today) but upon checking, it's the least versus those site made from pure HTML and JS.

I therefore conclude that Wordpress is not the best framework / program (if you will) to use in making websites today.

alfieindesigns, Aug 8, 2017 IP
    mmerlinn likes this.
  3. locals

locals Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Who said my site was "live"

I never said that I was not still working on the site, lol broken links etc.

However, I do appreciate the feedback on saying that the theme is a little confusing for the end user and that it looks like it's for mobile apps.

I will take that into consideration, as the theme was a mobile apps theme :D

But my site is still about a month out from "going live"

locals, Aug 8, 2017 IP
  4. alfieindesigns

alfieindesigns Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I said because I can browse your site online :D

Oh I see, and that's one of the challenge relying on Wordpress framework, you have to pick/choose the right theme for your site.
    And or build / modify it well to fit on your purpose.

But you know what, you should plan well considering every single details. Mostly the importance of User Experience (UX).
    Don't just add effects or design just to attract viewer, but make it as simple as informative and direct to the point.
    And beware of focal point, this will lead the user on how to interact on your site.

Thanks.

alfieindesigns, Aug 8, 2017 IP
    locals likes this.
  5. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You've hit upon the reason, Ms Diva, that forums such as this exist. The whole idea is to share problems and solutions so that all may benefit. Sometimes, you will run into a topic which invites those who know little to share their ignorance. In that case, if the community is lucky, there will be someone with clue who will call out the know-nothing. An old signature of mine went something like this:
    We are seeing an example of that in this thread. While WP may be suitable for a straightforward blog site, it is unsuitable for a non-trivial commercial site. All the plugins in the world are poor substitutes for intelligent design (the non-religious kind) of the site's functions. There is no way a generic theme or plugin can optimally serve a particular business. If you understand how search engines work, SEO is simple, good content, up to date and using a vocabulary that searchers use. Database structures require optimization as do the queries. Scripts must fit the business methods, e.g. order acceptance, shipping orders, invoices, accounting interfaces, inventory control; the list of bespoke needs goes on and on.

If it's a blog or picture album or a trivial commercial site, WP is probably OK. Anything else needs to be built to specification.

gary

kk5st, Aug 9, 2017 IP
    mmerlinn, Spoiltdiva and deathshadow like this.
  6. locals

locals Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    LMMuthafuckinAO, great advice... this wouldn't happen to be your site would it

http://gtwebdev.com

locals, Aug 10, 2017 IP
  7. locals

locals Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I love the contact us page

Attached Files:

locals, Aug 10, 2017 IP
  8. locals

locals Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Your home page looks "great" by the way too

Ohhh you're so lucky it won't let me upload a screenshot from my cell phone of your piss poor homepage

locals, Aug 10, 2017 IP
  9. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    @locals, you are right in that the site is in need of a complete update to reflect that 1) I retired about eight years ago, except for legacy clients and 2) Amazon changed their ads API.

Maybe someday I will find a round tuit and update to reflect the changes. But not today.

g

kk5st, Aug 10, 2017 IP
    locals likes this.
  10. locals

locals Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    At least you were able to retire and not look back until/unless you want. I congratulate you on that.

Having a fancy website is not all it is amped up to be, just like having a "correctly coded" one isn't either... I just like giving @deathshadow and @mmerlinn and others like them a hard time. But I can see you are far from them.

Congratulations on making the internet work for you!!

locals, Aug 10, 2017 IP
  11. badger_

badger_ Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    @locals you are only giving a hard time to yourself and your reputation. Don't take it personal and learn from them. https://www.nngroup.com is really good too.

badger_, Aug 11, 2017 IP
  12. locals

locals Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That one is nice and crisp and really fast... however, they do have something small and weird going on with the homepage where they could use one more block of content on the right side of their announcements, but that site is actually really fast

locals, Aug 11, 2017 IP
  13. locals

locals Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    no real images too much just a couple where they need them, but they would not want to scare off their visitors with gawdy images, when other peoples site needs images

locals, Aug 11, 2017 IP
  14. locals

locals Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    @badger_ what kind of framework do you think they are using? or do you think they built one from scratch just to house their articles and content?

locals, Aug 11, 2017 IP
  15. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    They use foundation: http://foundation.zurb.com/

malky66, Aug 11, 2017 IP
    locals likes this.
  16. locals

locals Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    @malky66 THANKS! for giving me this to look into!!!

locals, Aug 11, 2017 IP
  17. MrKing01

MrKing01 Active Member

Best Answers:
    @locals When you create your "Wordpress" sites do you take accessibility into account?

MrKing01, Aug 11, 2017 IP
  18. locals

locals Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Define what you mean a little more. I do not use that plugin to view your site on ALL aspects. But I do view it on 2 different cell phones, my laptop and a desktop. If it looks good after that I am usually content with that.

Did you notice something about my site that I missed?

locals, Aug 11, 2017 IP
  19. locals

locals Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    @MrKing01 in all honesty, I have worked with wordpress over the last 6 years, and just recently I have found out how to use it best for myself.

Here are the main things that I have done in order to make wordpress work for me (keep in mind I am building out over 300 sites):

I found one theme that I really like and stuck with it, it has multiple options and is a "multi-theme"
    I found a theme that requires the bare minimum amount of plugins in order to operate and look "good"
    I found a theme that supports child themes, so that my edits to the files remain intact even after the main theme is updated

by doing these things and a few others I am able to keep an up to date theme, update my wordpress when needed and not worry about plugin security vulnerabilities

All in all, if I can do that and my site looks good on the platforms I check it on, then I can not ask for that much more to be done in regards to site development - as it cost me nothing but my own time and maybe 1 day worth the work

locals, Aug 11, 2017 IP
  20. MrKing01

MrKing01 Active Member

Best Answers:
    @locals As you have worked with Wordpress for several years and have built hundreds of sites, I don't doubt that you can create good sites. You wouldn't have so many clients/projects if you were illiterate when it comes to building websites.

When it comes to accessibility I mean people with older computers/browsers/phones, people with slow Internet connections/capped Internet and visually impaired people who need screen readers. Is it possible to cater to these people, when one creates a Wordpress site?

MrKing01, Aug 11, 2017 IP