1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What do you mean by web hosting?

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by randycrosby2017, Aug 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    I know how to buy a domain name but then i m being told to register to a web hosting site or watever. I can make my site on Front page but how do i upload it and what is meant by web hosting?. Please guide me through this.
    poundweb

Thank You

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2017
    randycrosby2017, Aug 4, 2017 IP
  2. thebrandman

thebrandman Member

Best Answers:
    Owning a domain name only means that you own a name and an online address. You still need to have somewhere to host the files on your website, so that people see things when they go to your website address. A hosting company provides that online space to store your website files.

You're also going to need some sort of FTP software (meaning: "file transfer protocol") in order to upload your website files to where they are stored -- on your hosted space (purchased from a hosting company).
    -

thebrandman, Aug 4, 2017 IP
    sarahk and MrKing01 like this.
  3. Sean9568

Sean9568 Peon

Best Answers:
    Web hosting is a service that allows organizations and individuals to post a website or web page onto the internet. When internet user wants to visit your website, they need to type your website address or domain into the browser. Their computer will then connected to your server and your web pages will be delivered to them through the browser.

Sean9568, Feb 8, 2018 IP
  4. JoeSpirit

JoeSpirit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    thebrandman gave you a great answer to your question.

I can only add some hosting company and FTP platform suggestions. Hostgator and Namecheap offer decent hosting services. I currently use Namecheap and I used Hostgator at one time. I dropped Hostgator because I wasn't happy with the way they did something and that's between them and me.

I also use Lifetime Hosting. It's a good outfit but gives you only 1/2 the storage space that most of the better-known companies give. That hasn't been a problem for me so far and I have 5 or 6 domains hosted there. What originally attracted me to Lifetime is that you pay only one time and have an account for life. No monthly fees.

I'm sure others here will recommend other companies to you.

As for FTP, do a search for ftp client and you'll get a large list of availabilities. I personally use FileZilla and am happy with it.

I advise that you research your options to find the services that are right for your situation.

Good luck with your online adventures.

JoeSpirit, Feb 9, 2018 IP
  5. dts-net

dts-net Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    a domain name is like a phone number used to direct information. web hosting is like voice mail you an save and delete information

dts-net, Feb 10, 2018 IP
  6. Hostforweb Inc

Hostforweb Inc Active Member

Best Answers:
    The way to get your content visible. Lets suppose you have some information or service you need to share. What would you do? Create website? What is next - is to get visible. For this purpose you buy domain name. Now you need to "Link" your domain name and content you have - for this purpose you buy web hosting and place your content on the remote server (not on your local PC) of your web hosting provider, adjust some DNS related settings and then everyone who types in address bar of the browser will see your content around the world.

Hostforweb Inc, Feb 12, 2018 IP
  7. mikebvm

mikebvm Member

Best Answers:
    Wherever you registered your domain most likely also sells web hosting. If you use them for both, you can most likely get a lot of help in pointing the domain towards the web hosting.

mikebvm, Feb 15, 2018 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.