1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Can one build a secure website similar to Reddit using CodeIgniter?

Discussion in 'PHP' started by Reinards, Jul 12, 2017.

To be more specific - Would the website be secure enough and with good performance?
    Reddit-like means that there would be some kind of user registration, question posting and answer posting.

Reinards, Jul 12, 2017 IP
  2. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Of course you can. However, CI is just a wrapper (aka framework) on top of PHP. It probably has some "neat" features, which you may or may not use, and so on and so forth. You're asking the wrong question, though. The right question would be "Can I build a similar page with PHP and a database-backend", and the answer would be "of course you can". When it comes to "secure enough" and "good performance", that's not something you automatically get by using a framework. Framworks can also be used wrongly, bad code can be written, custom functions and classes added, and so on and so forth. So using CI will not automatically give you security and performance. Good code will give you that. Knowing what you're doing, will give you that, and basing my assessment on your question, you do not know what you're doing, so my answer will be "no, it will not" as long as you are gonna code it, in your current state of knowledge.

PoPSiCLe, Jul 12, 2017 IP
  3. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As Reddit is nothing more than a glorified message board reminiscent of Usenet to me, such a thing should be easy to develop without any framework.

billzo, Jul 12, 2017 IP
  4. Reinards

Reinards Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I agree, I should've asked it the way you pointed out.
    I am not a PHP expert, but I have written a blog using just PHP and MySQL(Very basic though). I know about different kinds of code injections and ways to ruin a website.

It is also true, that as long as the coder makes holes in the website, it will be insecure and stuff.

I just want to know if CodeIgniter itself has some in-built security systems etc, if it is more or less secure than, for example, Django or Laravel.

Reinards, Jul 12, 2017 IP
  5. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Using a framework for such a project will make it easier as these frameworks have the internals already built. You will find that old school programmers that refuse to adapt to modern day programming will advise against it because it wasn't built by them....... but............you need to work smart. A framework such as Laravel and CodeIgniter will save you time and allow you to launch your project a lot quicker. Time is money. Why waste months developing the internal structure when you can simply use a framework that is already developed and been tested. Some will argue you will take a performance hit and if you the run the tests you will.... however, it's minimal and there are plenty of ways to optimize your application to support a higher volume. By the time you have to be majorly concerned you will be receiving a shit load of successful traffic. Work smart. Use a framework. Don't listen to these idiots who want to turn 2 month projects in to 1 year never ending projects just because they are an "elite" programmer. Lol.

I also want to add... Which one of these options would you rather have if they both receive the same end results:

Option A: Geek programmer recommends everything to be built in house to avoid using libraries that add "bloat" to a project. So he spends 1 year rewriting his own libraries and internals then spends 3 more months fixing bugs. The code produced can only be updated by him because it's written his way.

Option B: Geek programmer uses a tested framework and finishes the project in 2 months. The code produced can be updated by anyone familiar with the framework.

Both Option A and Option B produces the same end result. The same monetary opportunity and the same end user experience. Imagine if you are hiring one of these programmers for your company... would you rather spend $10k in 2 months for development or $100k for 1 year development to receive the same end result?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    NetStar, Jul 12, 2017 IP
    ThePHPMaster likes this.