1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Help - How to convince my work to fund a copywriting course?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Ned French, Jun 30, 2017.

Hi everyone,

I currently work in the Complaints and QA department of a small, independent residential property surveying company, and I've been doing it for far too long. I'm looking to break into the world of freelance copywriting, and after some research I think the Blackford Centre course is the one for me.

It's come to my attention that, if I can think of a good reason that a copywriting course may benefit my current work, then my employers will fund the course for me. I have a number of ideas as to what might make a good pitch, but I thought putting the question to the floor will aid my cause.

I fully appreciate the a) opportunistic and b) unethical nature of this query, but it feels like the right thing to do at this juncture... Sorry, that justification was pretty feeble I know, but

Any crossovers between office work/surveying and copywriting, as well as advice as to whether the Blackford course is a good choice, will be wholeheartedly welcomed.

Many thanks in advance.

Ned French, Jun 30, 2017 IP
  2. JoeSpirit

JoeSpirit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    According to an article on the Warrior Forum, the Blackford Centre is well established in the area of marketing a variety of courses. I've studied a variety of copywriting offerings (American Writer's and Artist's Institute, John Carlton, Gary Halbert, Bencevienga) and learned a lot from each one of them. Many of them are well worth the study.

As far as convincing your company to fund your study my best response actually comes from Napoleon Hill. Identify exactly how you will make more money for your company after and because you study the course. Then explain that to your company in a way that they see a promising boost to their bottom line.

JoeSpirit, Jul 1, 2017 IP
  3. Ned French

Ned French Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you very much indeed for the response - as you can possibly tell, I'm fairly new to the copywriting universe, and this gives me plenty of food for thought.

Ned French, Jul 2, 2017 IP
  4. JoeSpirit

JoeSpirit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Everybody starts at the beginning.

Another great way for you to learn - and this way is free - is to study the sales letters of well-known marketers. No one can know for certain that a given sales letter will be a hit but when you find a letter that's been constantly sent out there over a lengthy period of time you can be sure that it's working. You can get a great education in copywriting by breaking those letters down and trying to sort out just why it's working.

JoeSpirit, Jul 3, 2017 IP