1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

@deathshadow (& anyone else) - Why would anyone do CSS as shown?

Discussion in 'CSS' started by mmerlinn, Jun 22, 2017.

</style><span style="font-size:12pt;font-family:'Times New Roman';" lang="EN-GB">Bendix 473, </span><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:\DOKUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOKALE~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_filelist.xml"><style>
    &amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;lt;!--
    /* Style Definitions */
    p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
    {mso-style-parent:&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;quot;&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;quot;;
    margin:0cm;
    margin-bottom:.0001pt;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:12.0pt;
    font-family:&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;quot;Times New Roman&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;quot;;
    mso-fareast-font-family:&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;quot;Times New Roman&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;quot;;}
    @page Section1
    {size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
    margin:70.85pt 70.85pt 2.0cm 70.85pt;
    mso-header-margin:36.0pt;
    mso-footer-margin:36.0pt;
    mso-paper-source:0;}
    div.Section1
    {page:Section1;}
    --&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;gt;

I did NOT wrap this in CODE tags because DP hides the code from me so I cannot see it.

mmerlinn, Jun 22, 2017 IP
  2. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I would assume developer ineptitude. PT means the style is probably for print, the use of style="" on static style means they weren't qualified to write HTML or CSS in the first place, and... oh. MsoNormal... No HUMAN wrote that code. It's the crappy generic output to HTML from something like Microsoft Word.

Yeah, that's a Microsoft export result, which is a STUNNING example of why you don't let Microsoft tools generate HTML or CSS. Same level of developer ineptitude and incompetence you get when some derp tries to use Visual Studio to build a website. Some ignorant twaddle designed the page in Word or Publisher, and just hit "export to HTML" without knowing enough about HTML or CSS to in fact have a website.

Nothing shits on markup quite the way Microsoft manages to do it.

deathshadow, Jun 24, 2017 IP
  3. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    @deathshadow. Even with my inexperience this does look really ugly. Surprisingly the site itself 'looked' and 'worked' ok in my browser, though I cannot imagine how.

You are probably correct that it is exported from a Micro$hit program of some kind because it is hard for me to believe that a coding-challenged coder exists that would actually write code like that. On second thought, the quality of coders on DP approaches the quality of this coding, so maybe a DPer did the coding.

I copy/pasted it directly from the source file of a website I visited.

Hmm. Mso? Micro$hit Office maybe?

mmerlinn, Jun 25, 2017 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    That's cut and paste from Word into a wysiwyg editor. Most also provide a "paste from word" button or under-the-covers function to get around this. Not that site, though.

sarahk, Jun 25, 2017 IP
  5. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    The problem with such code is NEVER how it renders in the browser, it's with the fact that it is bloated, slow, fragile, and flips the bird at users with accessibility needs AND search engines since it is non-semantic.

Unfortunately MOST people working on websites cannot see any farther than the screen they happen to be seated in front of, and flat out don't care about ANY of those things no matter how many times it screws them time and time and time again... to the point that many people have gotten so used to taking it up the arse by broken halfwit sleazeball shortcuts like this, they just assume that's how websites are and in fact have to be.

In a South Park "Well it still beats flying" kind of way.

deathshadow, Jun 25, 2017 IP
  6. Blank ™

Blank ™ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Seems to be an Outlook generated code, which explains everything.

Blank ™, Jun 25, 2017 IP
  7. glodium

glodium Active Member

Best Answers:
    pasted onto Microsoft word from other sites

glodium, Jul 8, 2017 IP
  8. alfieindesigns

alfieindesigns Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This is definitely from a Microsoft Word, most of those code is only used when loading the document back into Microsoft Word.

alfieindesigns, Aug 15, 2017 IP