1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to find clients in an expanding writing business

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by pgwhalen, May 15, 2017.

Writing has always been a passion for me. I started writing for clients on eLance (now UpWork) in 2008 and have enjoyed a decent side income. I would really like to expand my writing endeavors beyond the low-hanging fruit on UpWork and reach the bigger market I know is out there.

Question is, where does a writer go to enter the broader copywriting, content writing market?

pgwhalen, May 15, 2017 IP
  2. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    If you want to remain as a freelancer (not a full-time gig) I would reach out to some of the small to medium marketing/advertising agencies in your area. They often farm out specific projects to freelancers and, if you are good, they could become a constant source of work for you.

jrbiz, May 25, 2017 IP
  3. BaskingRock

BaskingRock Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You've got a few options. All of these options will be more difficult in the beginning than searching Upwork, but in the end, it will be worth it.

You can search local businesses in your area. Even better is if you can specialize in a certain type of business. Then you can pitch them your services.

You can also do this with online businesses. Search for websites that could use a blog or content marketing.

Start hanging out with other writers. Find out where they're hanging out, like on Facebook for example, and start networking. Sometimes they might have a job or two they want to hand off.

Begin to establish yourself as an influencer in your field. Start a blog and start sharing content. Show why they should hire you and give business owners value. Make a name for yourself while also establishing the SEO for your website, so that leads come to you.

Just a few ideas. There are more I'm sure.

BaskingRock, Jun 2, 2017 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  4. jvinternet

jvinternet Member

Best Answers:
    Do you have your own website to market your services? In order to build a longer term sustainable biz I would start with my own site.

Business owners are always looking for great content at a reasonable price. It is one of the main skills that cannot be outsourced easily to non-fluent speakers. Hence you can charge slightly more..

For some quick/short term income I would look at the more professional outsourcing sites like People Per Hour.

jvinternet, Jun 5, 2017 IP
  5. pgwhalen

pgwhalen Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you, everyone, for the input. My writing assignments are gradually increasing now and I look forward to taking your suggestions to their fullest potential!

pgwhalen, Jun 6, 2017 IP
  6. sheeroh

sheeroh Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You can also check out ProBlogger Job Board. Doesn't have a lot of jobs, about if you're thinking quality instead of quantity, you'll get it there.

sheeroh, Jun 25, 2017 IP
  7. smilingbaby

smilingbaby Peon

Best Answers:
    Could you please PM me the price which you charge for writing. I am currently searching for a writer to my blog.

smilingbaby, Jun 29, 2017 IP
  8. terryuk

terryuk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I would personally have a pool of sources which you can use to get new leads and customers, whatever the method be... make the add up to something meaningful. I do think, you can find one or two sources which are more worthwhile than others.

terryuk, Jun 29, 2017 IP