1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Email Marketing With A Bought List

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by martyhoward, Apr 10, 2017.

I use MailChimp for my email marketing. Those leads come from an opt in form.
    Now I purchased a list from InfoUsa and when I tried to market to that list MailChimp doesn't allow it.

My question: Do you know of an email service provider where I can use a list that was bought from InfoUSA?

martyhoward, Apr 10, 2017 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    If you send via Mandrill (the back end of mail chimp) they won't question your source the first time
    However if you get too many emails blocked or marked as spam they may kick you out (I guess)

sarahk, Apr 10, 2017 IP
  3. webgator

webgator Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Or you could just buy solo traffic and build your own list using fresh leads that have not been spammed to death....

webgator, Apr 12, 2017 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  4. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Boy, is that ever right with list providers like InfoUSA. I recall advising a large auto services company about the telemarketing lists that they were calling. Their telemarketers would call someone and the person answering would say: "This is the fifth call I have received in the past half hour." and hang up. It was from a similar service like InfoUSA. Sending emails, you will not see this problem as readily as calling it. List sellers like them always talk about the wonderful segmentation they offer, opt-in requirements, etc. What they do not tell you is that they have sold the same list thousands and thousands of times before you. Be very wary of such lists. Rare for them to produce what you are expecting.

jrbiz, Apr 13, 2017 IP
    webgator likes this.
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    The other important consideration is "does your target market still read email newsletters?"
    Mine all end up in the non-primary tabs in gmail and few get read. Selling to me via email would be pointless.

sarahk, Apr 13, 2017 IP
  6. martyhoward

martyhoward Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've emailed through my gmail account and had a pretty good response that has already paid for the list, but I want a service to use so that I can easily have people removed that do not want emails.

martyhoward, Apr 19, 2017 IP
  7. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I use phplist.com as a paid email service. Very reasonable pricing.

jrbiz, Apr 19, 2017 IP
  8. eMonetize

eMonetize Member

Best Answers:
    No reputable ESP is going to allow you to upload purchased lists.

However, at the same time, there is no way for an ESP to know the difference between an opt-in a list and purchased list.

What matters is that it performs within their tolerances.

When you upload it, it can't have excessive addresses that bounce.

When you mail it, as with any lists, you can't get excessive spam complaints / unsubscribes.

eMonetize, Apr 21, 2017 IP
  9. Roment Biplob

Roment Biplob Active Member

Best Answers:
    Buying this kind of lists from someone/ a source really worth ? Why are they selling if the list still worth ?
    I have bought an One million email list bundle few months ago. And i get exactly what i expected.
    I tried to upload them as like as you on a 3rd party website and they didn't allow me.. Then i tried Gmail
    to send out a few emails to see if they really works. trust me i barely got a click on my link.

Its totally waste of time and money.. Build your list yourself and live your dream...

Roment Biplob, Apr 23, 2017 IP
  10. eMonetize

eMonetize Member

Best Answers:
    There are a lot of companies that take advantage of novices that don't know anything about monetizing data. Let me guess, you paid $39 or something.

I have little doubt that those that say buying data is bad and you should never do it, either read it and now preach it as if it's the truth or they tried it and didn't know what they were doing and just that that you buy data and send it and got bad results, so it must not work for anyone.

Monetizing data is really a business model that is more complex that it appears on the surface, rather than a traffic strategy, which is how most think of it.

I buy fresh / targeted 3rd party data (typically under 24 hours old). If you are not familiar with 3rd party data, it is data that the users have shown an interest or are currently interested in a specific vertical and have provided permission to receive messages from third parties. You get the opt-in record of each user and it's 100% can-spam compliant.

I also get the same type of data through rev-share deals. If you are not familiar with rev-share (revenue sharing), it is data that you get for $0 upfront costs and then the revenue generated is split with the data provider.

I heavily promote PPL (pay per lead...lead generation) offers. This is because there is no credit card / purchase required to complete an offer. All a user has to do is fill out a form. So conversion rates are typically much higher than offers that require a sale to be made.

3rd party data will rarely be as responsive as a highly targeted opt-in list you build yourself. But it really doesn't matter. Because you are getting the data much much cheaper and it is highly scalable compared to building your own list. The way that you make it work is to always be collecting / segmenting your opens / clickers - removing the unresponsive user. That way over time you are building smaller, but much more responsive lists. Essentially you are converting the data from quantity to quality.

Basically, I monetize the data using PPL offer because they offer the path of least resistance to generating conversions and converting the data to cash producing assets.

Anyway, that's the really short of the long. Obviously, there is much much more to it, but done right it can be extremely profitable. Everyone that I know that is in the business and knows what they are doing, for the most part, does 6-7 figures. While that may sound like a huge range, much comes down to one's abilities to scale and to cost effectively build/manage the infrastructure needed to scale.

eMonetize, Apr 23, 2017 IP
  11. limitbreaker

limitbreaker Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    This can only work if you buy leads from a private source. This way you're guaranteed of the efficacy of the leads. You can Mail them using Amazon SES or Mailjet... but they will always suspend your account if you're mailing affiliate offers. Better still you can build your own server for this... Rememeber you have to clean your leads before mailing to avoid bounces.

limitbreaker, May 4, 2017 IP
  12. Katie180

Katie180 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    That’s correct – MailChimp (like many other email service providers) don’t allow uploading a cold or purchased email list.

Trying to send to a purchased or cold list through MailChimp will cause you to get banned or blocked.

Look for an email sending platform that allows sending to cold or purchased email lists. A quick google search will help you locate the right provider; you could also ask InfoUSA if they have a preferred email sending solution.

Good luck!

Katie180, Jan 8, 2018 IP