1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to prevent content theft? I need some suggestions

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by nicelooker, Mar 27, 2017.

Hi everyone,

I publish new contents everyday to my wordpress based website, and make a great effort to do that and it takes my a lot of time, as any content creator understands me how it takes time .
    Recently I've noticed that a website copied my all contents by changing a few words and trying to make all posts seem "unique" in the eye of Google. Whenever I publish new post, 4-5 min later, s/he copies it and edits a bit and publishes. ( Google indexes the new posts of both of us almost simultenaously, It really makes me mad. )

To prevent that, I disabled all email subscribtions ( the new submitted posts were going to the email of subscriber ) also disabled right click.

However, s/he still manages to copy my new posts. I guess s/he does it by viewing source code of html page and taking all article from there.

Right now, I'm thinking of sending a copyright notification to Google. Since there are more than 2000 articles copied from my website, It is going to be quite difficult to prepare all links (which google wants them to compare with the original links of source)

I need your suggestions. What should i do to prevent this from happening?

- Do i need to add all links to copyright violation report ( more than 2k ) ? Or Would 50 links be enough to make google understand the situation?
    - Does this content theft have bad effect on the google ranking of my website? or what kind of harmful results can this pose for my website in terms of seo?
    - Some arguments striked my eye while I was trying to figure out what kind of bad effects whict it may pose, There are ones arguing content theft does not harm the original website which the posts are being copied from, even it might be good for the original website since the website seems valuable enough to be copied. ( some thinks it is like backlink)

What do you say?

nicelooker, Mar 27, 2017 IP
  2. JoeSpirit

JoeSpirit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Do you have product links in your content? And if so is the copier leaving those links intact?

Duplicate content should hurt the other site more than yours as Google knows which is the original.

You can send a cease and desist or copyright infringement warning to the other person. Beyond that you can always take the copier to court.

JoeSpirit, Mar 27, 2017 IP
  3. nicelooker

nicelooker Member

Best Answers:
    There are no product links.
    I dont want to contact with him, since I dont believe that copier will care. Do you think the google consider this as copyright violation even though the copier changes the copied ones a bit?

nicelooker, Mar 27, 2017 IP
  4. JoeSpirit

Best Answers:
    That would depend on how much the content has been changed I think. If it is changed only a little Google would view it as duplicate copy and penalize the site for not containing original content.

Google doesn't have any control over copyright issues. When a site has duplicate content they won't allow it to show up in their list of search results.

JoeSpirit, Mar 27, 2017 IP
  5. zibolin

zibolin Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You can introduce some popup script alarming taht you will not allow copying. Search for "block copy" and "right click script" - very easy to introduce.

zibolin, Mar 27, 2017 IP
  6. MaxGoodman

MaxGoodman Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    This should also factor into one of your other questions. Especially after reporting it to Google, they should be able to tell that your content was the original.

Here's a question, though: does your content have a lot of links to other articles or products? If these links are being copied one-for-one it'll make it a lot easier for Google to support your claim that it's your content, since it'll be linking back to your site anyway.

MaxGoodman, Mar 29, 2017 IP
  7. JoeSpirit

Best Answers:
    And to add a thought to your question here: In my mind it would be beneficial for the duplicate content to be there. I'm sure Google already recognizes which is the original and penalizes the other site for it. But any traffic that does visit the site, and clicks on those links, go to the original offers. So there's a good chance that the copier is building nicelooker's list for him. (And potentially making him sales.)

JoeSpirit, Mar 30, 2017 IP
  8. KylieSweet

KylieSweet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Content theft is already everywhere in the web and should not worry because the search engines knew what is the real source so that the duplicated content will ignore.

KylieSweet, Mar 30, 2017 IP
  9. Allen James

Allen James Active Member

Best Answers:
    In WordPress when you post a new article the date is saved and google can easily see it, so you have no worries. If that websites is still ranking for that content, it will go out of the game on the next Penguin rollout.

Allen James, Mar 31, 2017 IP
  10. JoeSpirit

Best Answers:
    Dated posts depend on your settings. If you select custom date and leave the field blank the date won't show in the posts.

JoeSpirit, Apr 1, 2017 IP
  11. n3o

n3o Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    does copyscape not work ?

n3o, Apr 1, 2017 IP
  12. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Not always true. I have had content stolen and the thief DELETED all links back to my content.

mmerlinn, Apr 1, 2017 IP
  13. Allen James

Allen James Active Member

Best Answers:
    It doesn't matter if the date is showing in the post, there is a mysql database where all is saved. There is also a sitemap.xml

Allen James, Apr 2, 2017 IP
  14. JoeSpirit

Best Answers:
    Please note that I did state "duplicate content."

JoeSpirit, Apr 2, 2017 IP
  15. JoeSpirit

Best Answers:
    That is true. I did say in an earlier post here that Google knows when the original content was published.

JoeSpirit, Apr 2, 2017 IP
  16. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The content IS duplicate. The page LOOKS the same, just no links back to me because every link was removed.

mmerlinn, Apr 2, 2017 IP
  17. superrichguy

superrichguy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Contact the site owner. send them a cease and desist order doesn't have to be real. Just make it look legit. Might scare them to stop. Or contact them and ask them to stop doing this and it's hurting your ranking and his.

superrichguy, Apr 2, 2017 IP
  18. Anitasol

Anitasol Active Member

Best Answers:
    I understand that that really sucks. But you might want to take superrichguy's suggestion. And contact Google about this predicament of course.

Hoping this gets fixed soonest, pal.

Anitasol, May 14, 2017 IP