1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What happened to Vbulletin?

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by pc_user, Feb 10, 2017.

Vbulletin use to be IMO one of the best software solutions out there for forums with tons of support and add ons. We are looking to relaunch a forum but since Version 5, seems that the community is dead. No offense.

What happened?

pc_user, Feb 10, 2017 IP
  2. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't follow the advancement of forum software but like any other company that sells software if your competitors offer a better product and you don't "follow" the market you most likely won't lead the market.. This happens all the time with software, apps, and even programming languages.

NetStar, Feb 11, 2017 IP
  3. GTAce

GTAce Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It's garbage. 7 or so years ago it was the leader, but no more. IPB and XF emerged and blew vB away. I want to say the downfall of vB was right around when they (Jelsoft?) sold themselves to Internet Brands. They stopped progressing and vBulletin 4 was an absolute disaster. The software was clunky, bug-ridden, and not modern like IPB and XF. I was part of the vBulletin 4 Alpha group and the way they managed that project, change requests, and their developers....it was just a mess.

Fortunately XF and IPB stepped up, though. Great communities and software there.

GTAce, Feb 11, 2017 IP
  4. cLogik

cLogik Active Member

Best Answers:
    It's not garbage. But the v3 release (I think) (Which is also what DP runs on, i think), is the last "popular" vBulletin version that was around. After that they re-released a brand new version where the majority of the script was re-written. New code, new design, new everything, really, the only thing left in common was "vBulletin" and the term "forum".

vBulletin actively tried to go from being a forum software, to a more complete community solution. The second they did, vBulletin went down-hill doing worse and worse until they are where they are today, at the bottom with PHPBB.

IPB is the new vBulletin. XF is a nasty mess.

cLogik, Mar 28, 2017 IP
  5. SpacePhoenix

SpacePhoenix Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No it's not, this forum uses it. This instance of XF will have been customised (some bits partly re-written, some parts completly re-written, some as they are and some new bits added). Only @digitalpoint knows what sort of % of the codebase has been re-written to some degree

SpacePhoenix, Mar 28, 2017 IP
  6. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    vBulletin 3 was amazing back in the day when it was released. vBulletin 4 you could at least get it to do what you want with some arm twisting. vBulletin 5 is utter garbage.

Personally I don't love IPB internally or writing addons for it, but it's better than vBulletin.

XenForo is pretty amazing. And the guts of XenForo 2 really do take it to a whole new level of amazingness (I'm talking internal/guts and it's extensibility, not necessarily the front-end UI, which is fine on all platforms).

digitalpoint, Mar 28, 2017 IP
  7. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That is funny because I can't give away an IPB license. Kind of curious, what is your history in forum software? Most successful forum ran?

BamaStangGuy, Apr 4, 2017 IP
  8. SpacePhoenix

SpacePhoenix Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I used to use a free IPB forum, they may have fixed it by now but back then you couldn't do a search for a partial username, you had to know the exact username

SpacePhoenix, Apr 4, 2017 IP
  9. EvoWRZ®

EvoWRZ® Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You need good server resources to run vBulletin 5. I use vBulletin and so far have no issue with it.

EvoWRZ®, Apr 15, 2017 IP
  10. mike30

mike30 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I liked vB3 and vB4 but never vB5. When I discvered XF, I fell in love with it even it was a very new project. I knew by that time it was the end of vB at least for me.

mike30, Apr 15, 2017 IP
  11. phplduser

phplduser Member

Best Answers:
    I use VB5, Had a slight issue when installing but other than that, It seems fine.

phplduser, Jun 21, 2017 IP