1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do i need to noindex by blog section ?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by alexo, Mar 10, 2017.

Hello Guys,

I'm webmaster of local law website (Personal Injury) in US. Before sept 2016 (possum update) we have great ranking (local), but starting that time we start dropping for most of our important Keywords.

Few weeks ago i hirex one of the famous SEO gurus in US (most of you know that guy, but i'm not going to promote - so no name :)) and one of his suggestions was

"Are you a blog or are you a local law site. Rankbrain has to decide which one is which. Right now is chooses blog."

His suggestion is to NOINDEX all blogs (right now are noindexed category pages, tags - all pages that can duplicate original pages)

Our website is eng/spanish website, 1.3k listed pages in google (600-800 pages are blog posts - "news", "tips", "what to do" ). All of them have original and uniq content - so it's hard decision to noindex huge part of the website.

What do you think !

Any advice will be appreciated !

P.s. here is the picture of indexed pages for other websites with competitive keywords in google

1st site - yelp

2nd - 38 indexed pages

3rd - 1.6K

4th 330

5th 1.3k

6th findlaw (directory law website - with a lot of pages)

7th 6k

8th 193

9th 31

10 660

1. yelp

2. 38

3. 193

4. 1.3k

4. 330

5. 1.5k

6. findlaw

7. 5.9k

9. 31

10. 663

alexo, Mar 10, 2017 IP
  2. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Heck no. What's the point in having a blog if you're going to noindex it? Google favors larger more authoritative websites.

dcristo, Mar 10, 2017 IP
  3. juhasan

juhasan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am not sure of his logic. Blog is to help the website, noindexing the blog, ruins the purpose.

juhasan, Mar 12, 2017 IP
  4. dcristo

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    He's a SEO guru he must know what he is talking about :p

dcristo, Mar 12, 2017 IP
  5. juhasan

juhasan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am sure he knows what's he is saying. But the problem is he has not explained it to his client clearly. I guess he is talking about internal keyword cannibalisation.

juhasan, Mar 12, 2017 IP
  6. dcristo

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I wouldn't be so sure :p

dcristo, Mar 12, 2017 IP
  7. alexo

alexo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ok, I'll explain here what he mean and what's the purpose of this action.

To be short it's Rankbrain.
    His vision is that RankBrain have scores for each website and each website has ranked in different categories. So as he mentioned - our website right now confusing rankbrain ->
    are you a blog or a law site? you can't be both.

I agree that it's wired to noindex part of the website, but in another way real reason why we have blog on our site is to get potential clients for our "practice area" section. ON another side with our main keywords on first SERP page there are only 2-3 directory websites (yelp, findlaw) and Law Firm websites (there aren't any educational, blog or FAQ websites). SO the idea that RankBrain have his own category for each website IMHO is right.

What i don't know is it right decision to noindex blog section to not confuse RANKBrain.

P.s. As i told before our website had good rankings before Possum update, and we lost some of our positions after that.

alexo, Mar 12, 2017 IP