1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Mexico might build a wall to try and keep Trump out

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by Rebecca, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Bushranger

Bushranger Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If Trump uses tariffs to price match overseas-made goods to American-made goods then consumers choice will be that or nothing. If they buy the overseas one then gov wins with extra tax paid. If they buy the American-made one then American business wins. Either way it will be pay more than you need to or go without. I wonder how they can determine the price-match price and/or will that drive more goods underground? The old nylon stockings in the suitcase sales as happened during the war.

Bushranger, Feb 12, 2017 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Underground, they'll just buy their iphones/sneakers/etc from UK based stores and because it's a personal purchase below a certain value and not for "commercial use" they won't have the tariff applied.

During the Rugby World Cup that was hosted in NZ a few years ago there were strict controls on the merchandising. If you bought from a UK based online store you could get the official gear at about 50% of what you'd pay locally online or in store. Delivery was quick and the total value was under our tax limits. There were news items on TV promoting the UK website and the situation was a farce.

Not being in the US I've got no idea if your local laws know how to handle that situation but if I can buy identical & official Nike for $100 via a sweatshop or $200 via USA I'll buy the sweatshop product. I'm not sure the average person is altruistic enough to pay extra for "Made in America".

sarahk, Feb 13, 2017 IP
  3. Bushranger

Bushranger Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Being in Australia they're not my laws, thankfully. But the only way to get price-parity would be to put taxes on goods bought in every other country. How else will he get American manufacturing working again if he allows cheaper goods in?

Like you say, everyone would be buying $100 Nikes from anywhere else if they were $200 in the local stores. Trump has to make them $205 from anywhere else for his plan to make America work again doesn't he?

Bushranger, Feb 13, 2017 IP
  4. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Don't forget it's not just imported shirts and jeans. That's just a tiny little portion o
    True they won't. But then again this is just a tiny fraction of the US economy. Large scale manufacturing needs to come back or be revived (automotive, steel, oil). One auto plant can provide good paying jobs for 3000-5000 people.

qwikad.com, Feb 13, 2017 IP
    matt_62 likes this.
  5. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Funny how we are now discussing shoes... If the price is half, and the materials and quality is identical, then yes, the majority of the world will buy the cheaper product.
    But at the same time, you can buy identical products cheaper if its online. I buy my Redback boots online for $110... but shops retail them for $180-$200 -> made in Australia, the difference in the price is the overheads of running the shop. I buy these boots because they are f***ing awesome, the best that I have ever tried -> being Australian made is just a bonus. I am sure you could do the same thing for nike... $200 in shops made locally, and maybe $120 online for same, locally made shoe.

But here is the kicker. IF the company that makes my boots moved its production overseas, there would be no discount to the end user. The price will stay the same, and if anything, the price will increase.

Had the same thing with my mower. The shop I brought it from had 2 identical mowers, same manufacture, exact same price, everything same, except that the one I brought was the last of the AUS made product, and the others were the new stock made overseas. There is no discount... the price doesnt drop. Why would it drop, they didnt go to all the effort to establish a new supply chain to not earn extra money for themselves.

Same with shirts, and clothing companies. Prices do not go down when they outsource. There is no discount to the end user, but money that would flood into the local economy and being spent by workers locally, just goes to padding rich peoples bank accounts. The impact on a single job loss, is not limited to that person, or their family. It impacts the local economy, and other businesses can end up struggling, and having to try to cut jobs. For example, the impact of Australia losing all of its car manufacturing, impacts over 10x more people then just the workers at the plants.

I will pay extra (within reason) for any product that is made locally, but majority of shops simply do not stock local made stuff. Local made should be the norm, not the rarity.

matt_62, Feb 13, 2017 IP
    qwikad.com and sarahk like this.
  6. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    How many of those jobs are:
    • highly skilled
    • on the US H-1B Visa occupation list
    • likely to be replaced by automation in the next 5 years

sarahk, Feb 13, 2017 IP
    qwikad.com likes this.
  7. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I can only think of one example. One Honda plant near where I used to live in Ohio has been around for, at least, 15 years, it still employs close to 3,000. They've got it all: an H-1B personnel (IT and other), highly skilled job openings, and a good mix of automation and manual labor. Not sure though how it fares with other manufacturers.

qwikad.com, Feb 13, 2017 IP
  8. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Let's hope they scatter these new factories around the towns that are so desperate for employment and not in the places with existing employment and infrastructure.

sarahk, Feb 13, 2017 IP
  9. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I just had a thought about walls and immigration. If Trump actually sends in federal agents/troops to our inner cities (e.g., Chicago) we might find ourselves with tens of thousands gang-banger refugees who want to flee the U.S. and find sanctuary elsewhere. Since so many countries seem to be eager to accept jihadi refugees, how about these displaced gang-bangers? Anyone ready to volunteer their country for re-settlement of these poor, unfortunate souls?

jrbiz, Feb 18, 2017 IP
  10. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    just put them all into a plane, fly over cuba and push them out.

I guess you could even give them a parachute.

matt_62, Feb 18, 2017 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  11. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I was thinking that the gang-bangers in Detroit, for example, could just be pushed over the border into Windsor, Ontario. A bulldozer type of thing. Canada seems to be very open to accepting refugees, no matter their backgrounds.

Airfare and parachutes are kind of expensive.

jrbiz, Feb 18, 2017 IP
  12. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    1. I struggle with the term "gang banger" when used to describe a male and it's hard to stay on topic when you're smirking
    2. you've seen the reports that Canada is patrolling their border picking up people fleeing the US - presumably because their life experience has taught them to get out before it's too late and they can't accept that mass deportation won't actually happen (or is it just me not accepting that it might?)
    3. you might just find that those "gang bangers" are US born and bred
    4. and if you get rid of them US losers will happily step up to take their place selling drugs, running prostitution etc

sarahk, Feb 18, 2017 IP
  13. Blue Star Ent.

Blue Star Ent. Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    "Part of the problem is that people don't see education as an investment and they don't do a personal business plan before getting going."

The education in "economy" is frightful. People are taught to "get a job" instead of "create an asset" in school. The second is so much better for the world in general.

Blue Star Ent., Feb 27, 2017 IP
    Nigel Lew likes this.
  14. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    1. Yes, the name might be a bit funny, but they are not amusing to the decent people forced to live in their midst.
    2. Conservatives, all along, have said that something fair would need to be done with the 12 million illegals here already. However, the big resistance is doing anything before the border is secure because time after time, liberals have said, "Just grant amnesty to the current ones and we will increase border protection." So, amnesty would be granted and liberals would laugh at tricking conservatives again and never live up to the promise to secure the border. Once the wall is up, things will be different. But in the meantime, we should still be talking tough so that illegal immigration does not pick up in advance of the wall.
    3. A good portion of them are U.S. citizens (though there are significant numbers of Mexican and other foreign populated gangs here, as well. Much like Syrian war refugees who are Syrian citizens wishing to go elsewhere as refugees, I was merely suggesting that some gang bangers might want to seek asylum elsewhere if the U.S. government declares war on them. Especially since we are such a bad country to live in, anyway, right?
    4. There is a specific problem in the ghettos that liberals forced minority citizens into with their horrible programs that were disguised as help. These same laws destroyed the black nuclear family by forcing the father out of the picture, by the way. Crime will always exist, but to have it so concentrated in a small geography (often a few city blocks, sometimes) where decent citizens are forced to live due to their economic situation is horrible.

jrbiz, Mar 1, 2017 IP
  15. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    There is an even bigger problem: people rarely invest in themselves in any manner, not just education. They will willing spend money on a new fad or other silly gimmick, but will not buy a tool that will help them to get ahead in their career or anything else like that. I was told this many years ago by a marketing guru and have seen the truth of it time and time again.

jrbiz, Mar 1, 2017 IP
  16. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Politics is business elevated. So the question to you is not whether or not you like Mexico. But how does the US benefit FROM Mexico? Because right now it is the US in need ... after helping so many other nation to "get better".

Blogmaster, Mar 3, 2017 IP