1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

should i quit my day job for trying my luck in online marketing business ?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by lucky ali, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Wendy Mc Cormack

Wendy Mc Cormack Peon

Best Answers:
    It is easy to get caught up in the success of online marketing. You need to ask yourself do I have enough savings to meet my commitments and live for at least six months whilst I get this business up and running. Nothing will dampen your enthusiasm than constantly worrying how you are going to pay the next bill or buy groceries. If you have those funds behind you what are your setup costs and then ongoing running costs as these need to be factored in as well. Are you able to switch your current job to part time to enable you to maintain some income whilst you get your business off the ground, this will free up some time but not leave you with no income. Will you miss the daily interaction with your work mates, working from home is quite isolating and not for everyone. Do you really dislike your job that much that you want to quit and will the online business give you the income you desire not just next week but as a long term income stream. I wish you luck but make sure you go in with your eyes wide open.

Wendy Mc Cormack, Nov 22, 2015 IP
  2. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    What a dumb thread. You just stated that your salary is your only source of income then asked if you should quit your job and roll the dice? That's stupid. In fact, if you were to literally quit your job and go to vegas and put your life savings on Red you would at least have better odds. However, that would be foolish, right? Keep your day job and work in your spare time on a hobby. Once your hobby makes you $50k.....still keep your day job. Once your hobby makes you $100k.....still keep your day job. Once your hobby is making you a consistent reliable income that is greater than your current salary and all you need to time to turn your hobby in to a business then quit your job. Otherwise it's a silly idea.

I make quite a good income with my hobbies. But the revenue is all over the place. I wouldn't quit my 6 figure job for it even if my hobby made double.

NetStar, Nov 29, 2015 IP
  3. linkedfly

linkedfly Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Many of the poster's here are right. Don't quit your job until the income you receive from the revenue of your company surpasses the income you receive from your current job. I would wait until I generated 10% more income from online marketing or website until I actually quit. But I would also outsource my tasks, and establish a company before actually quitting a full time job.

linkedfly, Nov 29, 2015 IP
  4. algrant

algrant Member

Best Answers:
    No way Ali. You job is your life line. Become good with money, if you are not already. You need to build up a pot, as going it alone will cost you money. Run your business on the side until you can jump ship. Best of Luck.

algrant, Dec 16, 2015 IP
  5. Doctor Tech

Doctor Tech Member

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't quit my job right away. Give online marketing a try as a side thing, do it in your free time. If it's paying off and you're enjoying it, then you have the option to decide between the 2 jobs.

If you quit your job and the other option doesn't work, then you've risked career and left with nothing.

Doctor Tech, Dec 16, 2015 IP
  6. Mike Park

Mike Park Member

Best Answers:
    how much do you make right now with your marketing business? make sure its atl east 2000 per month

Mike Park, Dec 16, 2015 IP
  7. SEMWORLD2015

SEMWORLD2015 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I'm a student of web development. I'm learning these since 2009. So I'm trying to suggest you from my experience. If you needed more and more money then you have to do all types of job. Daily, monthly or within deed. It will better for you if you think about a passive income. You will also perform the client's job. It not means that you will invest all time for for the client. You have to think about your future. Our job's are available in the market. So don't worry for that. Which proposal will reasonable for you then you will accept that. Here, others suggestion are not crying needed. You also can create account in different freelancing site such as upwork or freelancer.com. There you also found upper budgeted job, then only you have to be skillful. You are a wed developer! so try to take decision in your own way. All the best. Bye...

SEMWORLD2015, Dec 28, 2015 IP
  8. Jason Lavis

Jason Lavis Active Member

Best Answers:
    This is a question that so many internet entrepreneurs ask themselves. I struggled with this question for a long time. When reading blog posts and listening to podcast interviews of successful people, there seems to be a polarization of advice.

Here are 2 typical viewpoints:

" I am so glad that I kept my day job while I was building my online business. The pressure was off, failures weren't devastating and it actually took a lot longer to get off the ground than I expected. If I was living off my savings I would have ended up running out of runway and having the misfortune of trying to get my job back, 'with my tail between my legs'. It takes 1000 days to really start rocking it online, and I couldn't have lasted that long".

" It really made sense to go full time on my internet business, because my back was against the wall, and I was 'all in' I worked like a man possessed for the first 6 months. I was able to really tune in to my target audience and get 'in the zone' that athletes experience. Before I quit my job I messed around for a couple of years chasing shiny objects and purchasing courses that I never took action on. By jumping in at the deep end I had to start swimming"

Both paraphrased quotes are equally valid and true, but advocate the opposite.

The first question that I would ask is "do you qualify?"

The reason why I ask this is, many people think that they can buy a course or an instant 'turnkey system' and make money fairly easily. This is definitely not the case. I realize that you are a web developer Ali, so you obviously have skills. But I think that anyone reading this ought to ask a few basic questions:

1) Do you have enough savings to last a year without a day job?
    2) Do you have some kind of skill online that could be a stand alone service? (EG you might plan to make affiliate websites, but could you be a web developer for others. You might want to write kindle books but can you write well enough that someone would actually pay you to write?)
    3) Do you have a killer idea that has already been validated by your market in some way? (EG you already have customers and could scale your process if you had time)
    4)
    Do you have a supportive family that will stand by you if you go broke?

If you don't qualify then you are not ready. If you do qualify then it is down to your own gut instinct and personality type. Some people fall apart under too much pressure, others need the kick.

The final thought from me is that you probably already know what to do. Many/most entrepreneurs through history have made their decisions because they felt that they had to. When a new entrepreneurial idea really makes sense, it consumes you, you become obsessed. You wake up thinking about it, you go to sleep thinking about it, you have new inspirational ideas on a daily basis.

The right entrepreneurial path feels like being in love... Is this is how you feel... No one will stop you!

Jason Lavis, Dec 29, 2015 IP
    lucky ali likes this.
  9. lucky ali

lucky ali Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    You are amazing explain things. . . i got all you tried to explain to me. . and what got me is... "The right entrepreneurial path feels like being in love... "
    Actually my boss is a successful entrepreneur, he is earning great online. and he tried to inspire me and i also tried to get inspired to earn more and have a better life. But things seems to me now that he couldn't inspired me or i am not inspired by him. Now i am practicing online marketing as a part time stuff. I hope soon i start working on an idea which makes me fell like i am in love with it.

Thank you so much for you reply.

lucky ali, Jan 2, 2016 IP
  10. REIGN FOREVER

REIGN FOREVER Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm actually slowly but for surely going down this path of a online business man and I would say just starting out I wouldn't because you can be using the income from your regular 9 to 5 to invest into your online business until it frees you up or opens up a door of opportunity to be able to make that your primary focus then you can leave your day job. I feel you should be secure in your results first from your online business before you make that decision. Results should lead to you scaling on how to grow more once you have reached a certain level in your business…I feel then thats when you know to make that move. #REIGNFOREVER

REIGN FOREVER, Feb 11, 2017 IP
  11. Chris-

Chris- Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I'd advise building your affiliate income first, until it can really replace your day job. Otherwise you might get stuck with not enough income.

Great that you're off to a good start, so keep building on that. If you don't have enough time but do have some money to invest, consider outsourcing some of the work so you can build a bigger income faster. Sites like Fiverr or UpWork make it easy to outsource most tasks (although some can be challenging, like finding a good cold caller, but simpler things like data-entry, content writing, graphics, etc. are all easy to outsource effectively).

Hope that helps !

Chris

Chris-, Feb 14, 2017 IP
  12. explorerx7

explorerx7 Greenhorn

Best Answers:

explorerx7, Feb 15, 2017 IP
  13. explorerx7

explorerx7 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I believe you should take the wise and prudent approach to this situation. Statistics have revealed that less than ten percent of the persons that are involved in affiliate campaigns usually strike it rich. This does not say that you may not be able to get into that small top level, however, there is no guarantee that you will. Therefore, you should keep your regular job a backup until the affiliate program is extensively tried and proven to be adequately rewarding and sustainable.

explorerx7, Feb 15, 2017 IP
  14. robinymym

robinymym Active Member

Best Answers:
    You shouldn't I think..
    First of all start online earning as a part time job beside your job. If you get succeed, then just try to move on slowly not fast from your past job..

robinymym, Feb 16, 2017 IP
  15. ZilaHost

ZilaHost Active Member

Best Answers:
    In my opinion it all comes down to if you believe in yourself. Do you think you can make enough to pay next months bills? If that's a solid yes, then you should go for it. I did and I never looked back.

ZilaHost, Feb 16, 2017 IP
  16. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Horrible advice. If you can make enough to pay next months bills go for it????????????????????????? Oh boy.... The day you can quit your job to pursue your business is the day you know you can quit your job to pursue your business. If you have to question it or ask for others advice you should NOT quit your job.

NetStar, Feb 16, 2017 IP
  17. Xerious

Xerious Peon

Best Answers:
    I would never do that.
    I would start internet marketing try to get some online income going first.
    I didn't quit my job untill I made 4K a month online for 6 month's in a row. Then i focused on building my online empire Bigger.
    There are some easy and cheap ways to get started.
    Feel free to PM me if you want to get started :D.
    I personally am doing:
    -Online Email Marketing (CPL, CPA and Solo's)
    -Online platform development
    -Rev shares (this is the only one that is fairly cheap and easy to start in my opinion)

Xerious, Feb 17, 2017 IP
  18. Anitasol

Anitasol Active Member

Best Answers:
    Do you find more joy and fulfillment in your OM business? Then, quit your job. :) But, make sure you have enough savings for backup. Good luck!

Anitasol, Apr 21, 2017 IP
  19. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Didn't your momma ever tell you that you should never put all of your eggs in one basket?

mmerlinn, Apr 22, 2017 IP
  20. Ashley John

Ashley John Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It totally depends up to your passion. If you have in-depth knowledge and passion in coding then I must stay don't quit your job. Instead of quitting your job you can do affiliate marketing on your off time. Do some research before starting online marketing business :)

Ashley John, Apr 22, 2017 IP