1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Starting a Supermarket Business

Discussion in 'General Business' started by robinymym, Feb 4, 2017.

I'm an entrepreneur from Bangladesh. I want to start a supermarket business. Can anyone suggest me how to do it? layout, products, shelving, checkouts anything!

robinymym, Feb 4, 2017 IP
  2. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    A local supermarket will probably be a better place to ask those questions. Befriend a manager at your local supermarket and ask him what works, what doesn't work.

qwikad.com, Feb 4, 2017 IP
  3. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    This made my night.. I never laughed so hard this week... Really.. you think the staff at your local supermarket would be the best resource for business advice on opening a supermarket? Lol... The "clerks" can barely tell you where the apple sauce is.... their managers can barely tell the "clerks" where to put the apple sauce... their general manager is on craigslist and maybe even on qwikad.com looking for a place that pays greater than $30k a year because he's sick of dealing with the whole apple sauce fiasco.... yea... ask them for business advice.........

NetStar, Feb 4, 2017 IP
    malky66 and Spoiltdiva like this.
  4. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Local supermarket requires a lot of local knowledge about the area, the type of demands and the overall wealth of the neighborhood, it is best to research into the area and understand before proceeding.

wisdomtool, Feb 4, 2017 IP
    qwikad.com likes this.
  5. dumindushalika

dumindushalika Notable Member

Best Answers:
    First of all you have to have a large capital to invest on this. First find the capital required for it. Acquiring the land, planning the supermarket's layout, building the supermarket cost a lot and it takes time. Alternatively you can lease a suitable building to do this. When you choosing the location you should consider whether the location is a suitable place to start a supermarket. If it is not a populous location, you have to think twice. These are the initial steps you should consider before starting a supermarket IMO. Initially you have run the supermarket at a loss. It takes sometime time to breakeven and be profitable. Planning is the key for the success.

dumindushalika, Feb 4, 2017 IP
  6. qwikad.com

Best Answers:
    You are probably referring to some local Kwik-E-Mart. The Simpsons comes to mind. Sure, those stores can barely make their ends meet. That's not what I was referring to, and I am sure that's not what the OP is referring to.

Look, when I wanted to find out more about investing, I didn't consult the Internet or some random people on a forum. I actually talked to some acquaintances who knew investing first hand. Same applies here. He needs to talk to people who actually know how it's done. A store manager (better yet a store owner) will be his best bet. Who else?

I personally knew a couple who started a furniture store some 10 years ago using the same method. They went to another privately owned furniture store almost 30 miles away and told the owner what their plan was. Since they were not in direct competition with the guy, he didn't mind sharing the ins and outs of running a furniture store. He even gave them his vendors' contact info.

P.S. Glad I could amuse you. You live a pretty sheltered life if my reply made you laugh so hard, that it was the best laugh of your week! Wow! You need to get out more often.

qwikad.com, Feb 5, 2017 IP
  7. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Why on earth would you think that those who are employed in customer service retail positions would be an ideal point of contact for resources on the business logistics and operations of a company? They aren't. However, the owners would be. The executive team that "sits" above the retail general management would be. Not the customer facing employees that ring up your soup...... It's no wonder why qwikad.com is suffering...

NetStar, Feb 5, 2017 IP
  8. qwikad.com

Best Answers:
    It's a cheap shot and you know it. With 200+ flights you've taken over the years, I think you've become delusional.

By the way, how did your promising social media site fall apart? Piss everybody off? Seriously, what was the domain name? I just want to know, I hope it wasn't some kind of poopyhead.com

9. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    They fell apart when myspace became all the rave. I owned a picture rating web site. Times change. Once traffic declined and revenue became almost non-existent I knew when to stop beating a dead horse and move on. It is worth 0 dollars now but looking back I made thousands from it and have no regrets. The moral of my story is to know when to stop beating a dead horse and to move on to other projects that are more promising. I'm not saying qwikad.com is a dead horse. In fact, you should probably put up an erotic section since both Craigslist and Backpage are out. You could be the new classified web site for hundreds of hookers. Let's feed the deadhorse.

NetStar, Feb 5, 2017 IP
  10. qwikad.com

Best Answers:
    Just remembered something that I thought you'd find amusing. Seems like my posts are a highlight of your week... maybe even your life.

I did cuss out some guy from Canada a year ago. He couldn't post an ad because an adblocker of some sort in his browser prevented him to do so. I told him to disable it. He emailed back saying all kinds of rude things to me. I wrote back saying: "Ok, dude I went an extra mile trying to help you and you are acting like a f*cking bully!" He couldn't believe his eyes when he read it. He said he was going to report me to BBB and some other places. I said go ahead. The funny thing was later I saw, what I believe, were his ads on qwikad.com I guess he didn't have any issues after all.

11. qwikad.com

Best Answers:
    No, I will not. backpage's adult section is now censored: http://salina.backpage.com/ It's gone. Craigslist had the same issue prior to that. I don't want a dating section (I had it in the beginning) because it brings a ton of spam / fake ads. It's nothing but a headache.

12. unlimitedoptions4us

unlimitedoptions4us Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hi:

Where are you planning on starting your market?
    I don't know about Bangladesh. I owned and operated two different supermarket companies back from 1997 through 2003, One was a full service in New Jersey supermarket in 52,000 square feet. The second was a company I started in Brooklyn, New York. We had two separate locations in 5000 square feet in each location. They were totally different businesses. However both required lots of money.

To make a long story short, I wouldn't go back into that business if you gave me $1 million. The margins are very low. many employees steal. There is proiduct shrinkage (spoilage). The list goes on and on for possibilities to loose money.

The successful companies in the US that are in the supermarket business are mostly large companies with deep pockets.

I'm not trying to discourage you. I'm speaking from my personal experience.

Good luck.

Dan

unlimitedoptions4us, Feb 5, 2017 IP
    qwikad.com likes this.
  13. Anitasol

Anitasol Active Member

Best Answers:
    This infers that businessmen are likely to venture into the supermarket business because they are looking for ways to spend their money and POSSIBLY earn more from it.

Anyway, thanks for the share buddy! :)

By the way robinymym,
    Maybe this business plan template and ideas will guide you on how to have it done.

http://www.mytopbusinessideas.com/starting-supermarket/
    http://www.practicalbusinessideas.com/2016/04/how-to-start-supermarket-business.html

Best of luck!

Anitasol, Feb 5, 2017 IP
  14. Milliardo

Milliardo Active Member

Best Answers:
    Knowing your area is the best thing. If you don't have competition near your place, then having a supermarket will work out well. If you do have competition, it might be harder but it will still work out, depending on how you will handle it. I would agree in knowing people who work there, and who even own a supermarket. Managers would know who their suppliers are, who give the best deals, etc. It would also be a good way to scout competition, if there is a supermarket near your place.

Milliardo, Feb 7, 2017 IP