1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Can someone please help a little?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by bogdy23, Jan 24, 2017.

Hello,

I`m new to copywriting i just read a couple of books.Before i start selling my services for money i need someone to help me get down my skills.I want to post here daily some articles 1, 500-1000 words article per day.Can anyone help me in the sense of critiquing it?And offer me alternatives of what and where i can improve?
    Thank you

bogdy23, Jan 24, 2017 IP
  2. JoeSpirit

JoeSpirit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Here are some writing tips you might keep in mind. I read in my latest issue of Copywriter's Roundtable. I've seen them before, but the author surprised me:

1) "Never use a metaphor, simile or other figure of speech which you are used to seeing in print."

2) "Never use a long word where a short one will do."

3) "If it is possible to cut a word out, always cut it out."

4) "Never use the passive where you can use the active."

5) "Never use a foreign phrase, a scientific word or a jargon word if you can think of an everyday English equivalent."

6) "Break any of these rules sooner than say anything barbarous."

- George Orwell

JoeSpirit, Jan 30, 2017 IP
  3. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Get in the habit of hitting the space bar after each sentence. Don't just type in a word right after the period, makes everything look unprofessional if you don't.

Spoiltdiva, Jan 30, 2017 IP
  4. DD Grace

DD Grace Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hello, of course we will help you! Just leave a link to your blog or place where you write. It is better for you to keep your work on your profiles, than upload it to the forum.

DD Grace, Jan 31, 2017 IP
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    If you link to your work then the thread needs to be in the Reviews section.

sarahk, Jan 31, 2017 IP
  6. Richard F.

Richard F. Peon

Best Answers:

Love the Orwell advice.

From what I'm learning about copywriting (I too am just breaking into the field), its all about having a conversation. You don't need to use big fancy words to sell a product. It seems that if you use big complex words, you run the risk of sounding smarter than the reader. If you sound smarter than the reader, your going to make them feel dumb, or at least dumber than you. I think copywriting is all about raising the reader or potential customer on a pedestal.

Richard F., Feb 1, 2017 IP
  7. JoeSpirit

JoeSpirit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    A few years back I did some focused studies for copywriting. Two of the most important techniques I learned have stuck with me. The first one Gary Halbert told me (at least I think it was Gary): "Always write just like you would talk to your best friend while sitting next to him on a bar stool drinking a beer." The second came from Michael Masterson, "Look for the hidden benefit. The deep one beyond the obvious."

I learned a lot from those guys, and others, but those two ideas have always stuck with me.

JoeSpirit, Feb 3, 2017 IP
  8. robinymym

robinymym Active Member

Best Answers:
    Make your copy easy to read:
    • Use short paragraphs – four sentences max;
    • Use short sentences – twelve on average;
    • Skip unnecessary words;
    • Avoid jargon and gobbledygook;
    • Avoid the passive tense;
    • Avoid needless repetition;
    • Address your web visitors directly. Use the word you;
    • Shorten your text.

robinymym, Feb 15, 2017 IP
  9. MaxGoodman

MaxGoodman Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    A lot of the big regular stuff has been tackled here, but I've always been a fan of the intangibles - the stuff that you can't learn just by knowing where a semicolon goes. A little while back I found this blog post that I've kept in my bookmarks ever since, and it's really honestly helped my writing in some surprising ways. Check it out:

https://problogger.com/10-david-ogilvy-quotes-that-could-revolutionize-your-blogging/

MaxGoodman, Mar 23, 2017 IP