1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What is better? Original content or funnier copied content (Funny Pictures)

Discussion in 'General Business' started by FarrisFahad, Dec 21, 2016.

I have a question for you guys,

I am currently building my website content. I have a funny pictures website. And my problem is that I have no idea of how to come up with funny content.

Funny pictures wise, do you prefer funny original content found only on my website or hilarious pictures found on other websites?

FarrisFahad, Dec 21, 2016 IP
  2. danasurvey

danasurvey Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Original content is always better.

danasurvey, Dec 21, 2016 IP
  3. Milliardo

Milliardo Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would agree that original content is better, though comedy is really very fickle. It is hard to make jokes or funny meme that would be a hit to people. That is why being a comedian is hard.

Milliardo, Dec 22, 2016 IP
    danasurvey likes this.
  4. iwebsocial

iwebsocial Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Original Content always works great and also convert very well. Copied content are useless and does not give you any credit. In legal terms if you steal someones content than you might face copyright issues.

iwebsocial, Dec 22, 2016 IP
  5. Bhawesh Bhatta

Bhawesh Bhatta Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    As i always say content is the king and the more original a content the more chances individuals engage. Therefore think of some creative way and create the content yourself and be original.

Bhawesh Bhatta, Dec 23, 2016 IP
  6. unlimitedoptions4us

unlimitedoptions4us Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You may want to consider both. More original content may work better. 80% original content and 20% funny pictures. Test that for 30-60 days to see your results. If it works then keep it going. If it doesn't then adjust your mix.

Dan

unlimitedoptions4us, Dec 28, 2016 IP
  7. kennedygitahi

kennedygitahi Active Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    For both human users and search engines, original content is always better. You know Google penalizes copied content the last time I checked. One thing to keep in mind though is that since it is hard enough to come up with original comedy content, it is usually a good idea to mix it up. Have 80% original content and add in 20% well-established copied content for those times you have creators block.

It is also usually a good idea to rewrite any cote you want to copy unless it is images where for those there is nothing you can do but wholly copy and hope the owner does not slap you with an infringement suit.

kennedygitahi, Dec 29, 2016 IP
  8. SEOwriterplus

SEOwriterplus Active Member

Best Answers:
    Definitely original content. As for the funny pictures... you can create a lot of those! Find pictures on sites like pixabay (free to use even commercially) or BigStockPhoto (those are paid but very reasonable in price - and the selection is a lot better, so you'll save lots of time), and then add some funny quotes to those images to make them funny (Picmonkey is one site that lets you do that - and they have a free version). There are many other sites, but the ones above are my own go-to places...

Using the tools above, you can create all the funny images you want, and be safe from any copyright infringement suits too!

SEOwriterplus, Jan 3, 2017 IP
  9. ltsune

ltsune Member

Best Answers:
    Here's what seems to be an unpopular opinion: Go for the hilarious un-original content!

But now please hear me out, as I explain why this might not be as crazy as it sounds.

Sure, if you started a niche blog, I'd say go for 100% original content. And don't stop there. Go for QUALITY original content instead of a lot of "useless" 200-word original content. At least if your aim is to build a long-term sustainable following and not just chase a quick SEO cash-in.

However, you're NOT starting a niche blog. You own a "funny pictures" website, which is tremendously different!
    When it comes to memes and funny pictures, people just want to be entertained. If you browse 9gag, you'll notice that a big chunk of the stuff on there has come from Reddit or 4Chan. So it's not really original content. But that doesn't matter - people still love it and the site has millions of visitors.
    Don't get me wrong; you shouldn't outright steal other people's content. But by their very nature, memes and funny pictures survive purely because they get shared. So as long as you don't claim that you created it, I honestly believe you'll be good. And even better; you can just link to where you originally found the content. Although... odds are that wherever you found it hadn't originally created it either, so yeah.

I have used a similar tactic on Facebook, where I both post unoriginal and original images, and so far it's going absolutely great. As long as you play nice, the internet is a pretty relaxed place (despite the occasional drama).

A final tip would be to stay away from comics. People who make comics often consider themselves more as "artists" and thus care very much about how their content is shared and where it is shared. You don't want to mess with them. But as long as you stick to memes and generally "funny pictures", you'll be good.

I hope this helped you?

ltsune, Jan 8, 2017 IP
    FarrisFahad likes this.
  10. Klepon Pink

Klepon Pink Member

Best Answers:
    I would prefer original content. Funny pictures might create engagement, but it won't last long as it might be everywhere.

Klepon Pink, Jan 8, 2017 IP
  11. FarrisFahad

FarrisFahad Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I really liked what you wrote. It makes sense. I know that original content is better, but it is darn hard to make funny pictures. I agree with you that it should be both original and funny un-original content.
    Thank you for this great advice.

Farris

FarrisFahad, Jan 8, 2017 IP
    ltsune likes this.
  12. Kulbeer

Kulbeer Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Original content is the way to go as funny pictures can prove handy but not in the long-term. Creating original funny content is a daunting and time-consuming task, but it will surely pay off. Cheers!

Kulbeer, Jan 12, 2017 IP
  13. ltsune

ltsune Member

Best Answers:
    You're welcome. Glad you could use it.

And also, if you're still int he very early stages, just use unoriginal funny content to validate whether or not your website will work. It's the fastest way to figure it out.
    And then, if it works, just slowly start integrating more original content among the unoriginal content.

Again, I would never recommend this if you did content marketing on a blog. But you don't. You post funny images ;)

ltsune, Jan 12, 2017 IP
  14. VacationCrasher

VacationCrasher Member

Best Answers:
    You mean they consider their copyrighted, original content that they get paid for to be art? Crazy idea.

VacationCrasher, Jan 12, 2017 IP
  15. ltsune

ltsune Member

Best Answers:
    Not crazy at all. I think you read my comment a bit out of context :)

I was merely trying to point out the difference between artists making comics (whether or not they get paid for it) and random people on the internet sharing a meme. The artists obviously (and with good reason) want to protect their work, and it is thus a very bad idea to share their content unless approved by the artist first.
    A meme or "funny picture", on the other hand, is oftentimes shared / created with no intention of monetizing it, and should therefore be relatively safe to share on his website.

In any case, it's of course always good practice to give credit to the creator.

ltsune, Jan 13, 2017 IP
  16. Matteo Matt

Matteo Matt Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I run a bunch of meme pages / sites and am still starting out too, here is what I have noticed.

Even if I think the copied meme is funny, usually the ones that i create originally that are funny do way better. Of course most memes are not even claimed by any creator, so using them is less risky. I post a good mix of my own content and stuff I found, and surprisingly my own content does well.

Overall my verdict in my case is Original > Copied but only if it is decent. In addition, the copied memes still get good engagement if they are funny, but the original ones suprised me.

Matteo Matt, Jan 14, 2017 IP
  17. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'm going to give you the better response. You stated "I have no idea of how to come up with funny content". With that said, you are in the wrong niche. Why is this a niche that interests you? You can't come up with funny content therefor you MUST recycle existing content which is a saturated market. What's the dream? What's the vision? My vote is to cross if off the list and come up with something better that 1) is in demand 2) not saturated and 3) something you are experienced with. Your idea is a failure which is why you are asking for advice on a forum. Let it go. Move on. End of discussion.

NetStar, Jan 16, 2017 IP
    danasurvey and malky66 like this.
  18. robinymym

robinymym Active Member

Best Answers:
    Original would be far more better :)

robinymym, Feb 6, 2017 IP