1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need help with url name and TLD

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by Billy_Batts, Jan 3, 2017.

Hey guys,

I want to start 2 web shops in a niche that I think will pay off as it's always in demand and pretty much all the competition web shops look like sh*t.

However, I run into the same problem as many, preferred TLD's are taken and not even by the web shops, they are all reserved for insane prices.

So, for example purposes, let's say I got a web shop I want to call "golfsupplies.com". It is reserved for $10k as is the same name with the .net, .org, .store, .shop as are all similar names like "golfgear.com", .net, .org etc.

I mind you, none of them have content on them except a landing page telling the domain is for sale.

Also the .com, .net, .org names with a hyphen, like "golf-supplies" are taken.

Now as I see it, there are several options.

Option 1: After checking out all the names, these TLD's are available with a hyphen, like : "golf-supplies.shop" (my preferred one as it's a web shop), "golf-supplies.rocks", "golf-gear.equipment"(I like this one too but I think the TLD is too long) and "golf-supplies.store" (seems like a viable option too).

So that was option 1 or rather the first options. Personally I like the "golf-supplies.shop" the best but I don't know if in 2017 the TLD is such a big importance, again, bear in mind that all the TLD's with my niche name are taken but have no content.

Option 2: Is to put something in front of it but I am not a great fan of that, for example: "yourgolfsupplies.com" or whatever.

Option 3: Make a totally different name, for example "thegolfmasters.com" which I also don't prefer as my niche name is a name that let's you instantly know what kinds of products you will find on the web shop.

Traffic will come mostly through social media, message boards and seo.

Normally I don't bother this much with a name but it is going to be my first serious project and I believe big things are usually successful through small details.

Billy_Batts, Jan 3, 2017 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    If I do a google search and find golf-supplies.shop I instantly assume it's dropshipping or a scam.
    If I do a google search and find watsongolf.shop I assume I've found the site of a bricks-and-clicks business and I'm more likely to click through.

I'm a cynic though so you need to do your market research to see how real people will respond. Dummy up some fake google results and ask your friends which they'd be most likely to click etc.

If you're going to drive traffic through social media etc then the domain becomes less important and the branding and content that you share becomes much more important.

sarahk, Jan 4, 2017 IP
  3. bxuser

bxuser Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Have you checked the domains with an "i" or an "e" in front of the name? I prefer "i" being that it stands for internet.

iGolfSupplies.com -- Internet Golf Supplies

bxuser, Jan 4, 2017 IP
  4. bae

bae Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Have you tried contacting the domain owner to see if you can negotiate a lower price? If the Seller has had the domain for a long time, needs the money, etc., they may be willing to negotiate on the price. I actually just bought a domain back from someone I sold it to last year. I paid less than half of what I sold it for and considerably less than his published sale price. He needed the money and the market for that 'niche' is a little down now.

bae, Jan 5, 2017 IP
  5. Billy_Batts

Billy_Batts Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hmm doesn't sound right to me, selling worldwide and am sure most people won't interpret i before the url as internet but thank you for your reply.

Good advice but the domain names i want are pretty much thousands of dollars, even if I can bargain it to half it still would be thousands of dollars :(

I think i will just go with a .store .shop or .deals name, read a lot about it and stld's that makes sence are getting more popular.

Hmm yes, but that's because you think like someone that has experience in marketing and internet, it really amazes me how many people still only have basic computer knowledge.

Most of my traffic will come through social media and some seo.

Billy_Batts, Jan 5, 2017 IP
  6. Overflame

Overflame Active Member

Best Answers:
    You should try domain name generators like: Lean Domain Search.

Overflame, Jan 9, 2017 IP
  7. karen9999

karen9999 Active Member

Best Answers:
    It is better to go with a domain name that has keywords and a TLD that can help you to rank high in the search results.

karen9999, Jan 9, 2017 IP
  8. Billy_Batts

Billy_Batts Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Found this myself after some googling, wished I read your message first lol but that is a very nice website indeed.

Billy_Batts, Jan 11, 2017 IP
  9. DynaDotRep

DynaDotRep Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hello,

You can also look at expiring domains or drop catches and see if you can pick them up there.

https://www.dynadot.com/market/auction/
    https://www.dynadot.com/market/backorder_auction/

DynaDotRep, Jan 26, 2017 IP
  10. emerald0525

emerald0525 Member

Best Answers:
    You can also try Flippa.com or Auctions.GoDaddy.com
    I hope you could find a suitable domain for your site :)

emerald0525, Jan 29, 2017 IP