1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Jesus was not born on 25-Dec... Did you know it?

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by degreubiwa, Dec 3, 2016.

Did you know what Jesus was not born on 25-Dec though in months of July or August though the exact date is not know in the history. He was born in the deserts of Israel and his mother use to live in a religious building and was un-married.

degreubiwa, Dec 3, 2016 IP
  2. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I suppose that no one really knows the actual date that anyone was born way back then. Does not really matter, though, does it? And, in the Northern hemisphere, anyway, it is good to have a big event with lights and celebration in the dead of winter.

jrbiz, Dec 3, 2016 IP
  3. degreubiwa

degreubiwa Banned

Best Answers:
    I was generally talking, there are much misconceptions over huge number of things and major race to prove things in the world that are not even true.

degreubiwa, Dec 3, 2016 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    It's generally accepted that the Winter Solstice was repurposed to be Xmas as the Christians tried to convert heathens. I think you'd be hard pushed to find someone who actually believes the date is accurate. The "story" is largely symbolic too. Does anyone really believe a virgin could create a male baby? Some weird freak of nature might see a girl child born as a clone of it's mother - but a boy?

sarahk, Dec 3, 2016 IP
  5. th.sigit

th.sigit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Some local people here believe that the Jews are originated from the island of Java (Jawa in our local language), hence the name "Jew"="Jawa". Even more people here thinks that Noah's ark is made of teakwood from our island of Java. There are many quotes in the net about these.

Talking about other myths that are not common in western hemisphere: Rama (Hindi: Ram) whose wife Sinta (Hindi: Seeta) was kidnapped by their arch-enemy Rahwana (Hindi: Ravana). Some local friends here tend to believe that they're descendants of Rahwana (the evil), to bring balance when the good side gets too powerful and bring more harm than good.

I personally believe that I am not descendant of Adam and Eve, nor Rama or Rahwana, even if they are simbolic. Probably my ancestors were born out of a rock.

Anyway, all these things had happened such a long time ago, and there's no one to explain the details or to prove if any of these had really happened --not even if you have lived that long to witness all of these.

th.sigit, Dec 3, 2016 IP
  6. Bushranger

Bushranger Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Queen's Birthday (Commonwealth holiday) is not celebrated on her birthday either.

Bushranger, Dec 3, 2016 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  7. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    A lot of our holidays here in the U.S. are not celebrated on their actual dates. A long time ago, we made many of our holidays like President's Day, Memorial Day, etc., fall on a Monday to make for a long holiday weekend for most workers. In fact, the veterans made a mistake, in my opinion, when they insisted that Veterans Day fall on the original date, which is November 11, instead of making it a Monday around then. Since it mostly falls in the middle of the week, a lot of people do not celebrate the holiday, attend veterans events, etc., because it is not a holiday weekend activity. Instead, they work that day and take the Friday after Thanksgiving off, instead, to make it an extra long holiday weekend. It hurts the turnout and recognition for veterans celebrations.

jrbiz, Dec 4, 2016 IP
  8. Corwin

Corwin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, Jesus was born in Bethlehem. We know that because much of the relevant passages in the Book of Luke that refers to behavior at the time has been verified to be historically accurate, including the census.

You are correct that Jesus was not born in December. From what I recall being taught in catechism, there was a popular pagan holiday during that time. Christians chose to celebrate the birth of Jesus during the pagan holiday so that their celebration would not draw attention.

Corwin, Dec 8, 2016 IP
    th.sigit likes this.
  9. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I am an evangelical Christian. If it was up to me, I'd cancel Christmas altogether. Nowhere in the Bible it says that we have to celebrate the birth of Jesus. It's funny how through the centuries Christians have been dumbing down the important things of the Bible and elevating the stuff that is not. But since it makes all the children, including mine, "ever so happy" I have no choice but to continue going along with the Christmas narrative. But make no mistake I still believe the whole thing is an absolute and utter nonsense. Indeed, Jesus Christ was born at some point in history, but nowhere he asks us, his followers, to celebrate his birthday.

So we walk around like fools chiming "Merry Christmas!", which is silly, because if we really meant it we would have to say "Congratulations on the birth of Jesus!" or "Today Jesus was born!". But we don't, because we know it just doesn't sound right. So we keep repeating "Merry Christmas!" as an excuse to get more presents for our already spoiled kids.

Agree? Disagree?

qwikad.com, Dec 9, 2016 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  10. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    @qwikad.com I understand your ambivalence about how Christmas is celebrated. I think that many adult Americans agree that it has become a secular, commercial event and is way over the top, these days. However, for me, it is about remembering the fun and excitement that I had as a young boy during the holiday season and I, too, overindulge my kids out of nostalgia and wanting them to feel the same way I did, way back when. In addition, as I mention above, up here in cold, dark, wintry New England, it is nice to have a holiday that lights up the night and gets family and friends together in a festive way.

jrbiz, Dec 9, 2016 IP
    Corwin likes this.
  11. degreubiwa

degreubiwa Banned

Best Answers:
    The festival that was celebrated on 25-December was known as Saturnalia and it was related to crop harvesting and agriculture at that time. They started celebrating Jesus birthday on that day and its continued till now.

degreubiwa, Dec 9, 2016 IP
    Corwin likes this.