1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

So sick of paupers trying to buy my domain!

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by sarahk, Nov 14, 2016.

I've got one in particular that gets lots of requests. I'd sell it if the price was right but these guys aren't just low balling, they're complete time wasters.

Now, I've seen all those automated site valuation tools and I've picked the first one Google showed me as an example. This site gave me this valuation which is way above what I've been offered

upload_2016-11-14_22-23-26.png

but what the site doesn't calculate is the cost of moving the content, the legal ramifications of moving the content, the stress to the new owner if Google continues to direct users to litigious but no longer available content.

and this is for a site where I don't use the email addresses and I don't use the domain in a username on social media.

I do for my personal blog, much neglected as it is.

Do these valuations allow for the number of active email addresses are on the domain and the cost of transferring them to a new domain - and the cost of the hours spent updating your email address on how many websites?

Sometimes it's easier not to sell.

upload_2016-11-14_22-27-38.png

sarahk, Nov 14, 2016 IP
  2. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Those automated appraisal sites should be completely ignored. A domain/website is worth whatever the market is willing to pay for it.

dcristo, Nov 14, 2016 IP
  3. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Or what the owner is willing to turn down :)

sarahk, Nov 14, 2016 IP
  4. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    That is not indicative of market value though. You can have unrealistic expectations and never be happy with an offer and end up never selling the site.

dcristo, Nov 14, 2016 IP
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Maybe I'm more used to looking at it from a real estate perspective, but every negotiation is looking for the value where it is worth the vendors while to sell. A desperate vendor will have a lower "market value" than others.

sarahk, Nov 14, 2016 IP
  6. Furquan Ahmed

Furquan Ahmed Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't look those automated appraisal website. They just calculate website value using Alexa ranking, Social Share etc.

When I try to buy website on Flippa I look, Website Design, How much time per day its take, growth chances, revenue model, traffic source, niche & revenue.

Furquan Ahmed, Nov 14, 2016 IP
  7. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    My point exactly when I said:

sarahk, Nov 14, 2016 IP
  8. KylieSweet

KylieSweet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    A domain that i built for so many years i don't think i can sell it someday because its also part of my important life and career.

KylieSweet, Nov 16, 2016 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  9. Galperin

Galperin Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You know anything may happen in your life and you have to sell it one day.
    Life is long and we don't know what's waiting for us in future.

Galperin, Nov 18, 2016 IP
  10. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    but do you?
    you can bequeath a domain just like any other "asset" that you own.

sarahk, Nov 18, 2016 IP
  11. Federick

Federick Member

Best Answers:
    I have had a domain in the past which I wasn't using because I didn't have ample time to manage any longer. This domain wasn't too valuable or expensive but I decided to let it lay idle because I just couldn't see someone else who got it from me for a piece of cake, making a whole lot out of my former property.

Federick, Nov 21, 2016 IP
  12. bae

bae Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There is a lot more data in real estate, so it's easier to get a value there. But even the automated valuations for real estate aren't always correct. Two identical condos in the same building. One was just remodeled with multiple upgrades, new appliances, etc. The other is a trashed foreclosure. Will an automated appraisal give accurate values?

Now imagine that with a website. Far less sales data available and no two websites are alike. Did your appraisal tool ask for your revenue, etc.? If you're earning $5k a month, it's obviously worth a lot more than if you're earning $10 a month.

I bought a domain from someone a few years ago. It was a website, but they didn't want to sell the content. As part of the deal, I agreed to let them keep their email address for a year. Subject to them not doing anything illegal, spam, etc. That would help with a transition. It's really no different than a company moving and having to update their address with their customers, vendors, etc.

bae, Dec 9, 2016 IP
  13. Ahmednawaz

Ahmednawaz Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    These sites are only good to tell u backlinks , social attachment of the website , traffic age etc ,

Ahmednawaz, Jan 4, 2017 IP
  14. ZilaHost

ZilaHost Active Member

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't give those website appraisals a second look. I made the mistake of investing in domains based off appraisal sites early on. Never got that money back. My advice is to sell when the opportunity presents itself.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    ZilaHost, Feb 16, 2017 IP
  15. bxuser

bxuser Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You can probably bet that many of those low ballers are domainers trying to get the name from you at wholesale price.

bxuser, Feb 21, 2017 IP
  16. daronch

daronch Active Member

Best Answers:
    Those appraisal sites are not accurate. In fact, they almost always overvalue the domains.

daronch, Feb 22, 2017 IP
  17. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Or they undervalue because they don't allow for the time and effort of moving your emails, your identity away from a domain. I got an offer today for US$1,150 which might be a fine price but honestly, it's just not worth the effort for such a piddly amount and ultimately the market value of a domain is the one where the (reluctant) seller agrees to sell.

sarahk, Feb 22, 2017 IP