1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How do Copywriters feel about doing Fiction Writing For Clients?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Greg Figueroa, Oct 29, 2016.

I'm pretty sure clients must approach some copywriters for freelance fiction projects. If you're someone who does both, what are your thoughts on juggling both? Experiences?

Thanks for reading!!

Greg Figueroa, Oct 29, 2016 IP
  2. FCS Eli

FCS Eli Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I've done fiction ghostwriting before. I think it really comes down to the project and the preferences of the writer.

For me, fiction is a very enjoyable break from the style of content I usually work on, so I never experienced any notable upticks in stress or anything like that. Also, I tend to be able to write fiction much faster than non-fiction topics -- research might be necessary, but the bulk of the time you get to use your imagination and write off the top of your head.

Sometimes you'll get a client that has a really comprehensive outline, in which case you're more or less doing the written equivalent of painting by numbers. Whether or not that's something you'd find enjoyable is a call you'd have to make for yourself.

Conversely, you might encounter someone with a vague idea, or even just "write a short story in this genre" type gigs. In those cases you should carefully consider how much time you'll have to spend in prep and charge accordingly.

FCS Eli, Oct 31, 2016 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  3. Equatorial

Equatorial Active Member

Best Answers:
    I love writing fiction. If I had a choice, I'd love to spend my days just writing fiction. There is something liberating and satisfying about creating a universe, regardless of its size, and populating it with carefully crafted characters, regardless of their number.

To answer your question, I genuinely have no problem juggling between fiction, non-fiction and technical writing gigs. The only issue, if at all, is in terms of scheduling. As a matter of personal habit, I tend to schedule more difficult assignments earlier in the day, preferably mornings, when I am mentally most alert and creative. Alas, I have to reserve that period for factual gigs, as writing fiction can leave you mentally exhausted and drained.

Edit: Come to think of it, transitioning from fiction to non-fiction does take a little effort. You have to change your writing tone, shorten sentences, cut down on adjectives and adverbs, etc.

Equatorial, Nov 24, 2016 IP
  4. beninbro

beninbro Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't mind editing a fictional work but don't see myself ghostwriting one. But it really boils down to working within your comfort zone.

beninbro, Dec 11, 2016 IP