1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Keep it Parked or Develop it right away

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by Arick unirow, Sep 17, 2016.

A month ago, I purchased an aged (more than 12 years old) domain from someone in Private Auction for less than $1K (seller initially offer it for more than 2K).

The domain is not short type domain. It is long letters but memorable domain. The domain has twenty letters not including the extension. And, yes, it is .COM domain.

Since last day of previous month, I parked the domain at well-established domain parking company and the result is not that bad. My intention to park it is to find out how many visitors it currently has and how good the domain performed in Search Engine (and its active Backlinks). If it has steady traffic, I would park it for few months (until I ready to develop it or until I get my investment back) and then develop it as my next primary site.
    Snap 2016-09-18 at 10.26.55.png
    At first, the domain seems has very steady traffic but after half month being parked, the visitor has reduced gradually. I am now in dilemma whether to develop it right away or keep it parked as is.

The domain is still long away from $1K and I think I have no choice but to develop it right away. Actually I could create an empty website on it right away but I think the result would not going to be optimal. It is because I have no idea on the niche of the domain and thus mean I have no skill to write the article about the topic (niche).

So, my question is simple. Should I:
    1. Keep park it as is?
      I am thinking the visitors maybe depleted if I keep park it. Majority of the visitors were coming from SE.
    2. Develop it as fast as possible?
      I have no skill to write even an article about the topic of the domain. However, I believe I may able to create one or two useful and good article after learning about the topic for few months.
      Before jumping into a new and unfamiliar niche, I usually make simple research about the niche and learn almost all aspect of it. And yes, it takes times and I probably have no more times as I have to manage my two primary sites.
    I welcome any opinion. It would be better if the member replied in this thread could write detailed but easy to understand explanation. My English is not that great. ^__^

Arick
    (I am studying about the niche of my new domain atm) :)

Arick unirow, Sep 17, 2016 IP
  2. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Pretty unrealistic to expect to get your investment back straight away from parking revenues.

If you can make that much from parking, then you can obviously make that and a lot more if you develop the domain.

dcristo, Sep 17, 2016 IP
  3. Arick unirow

Arick unirow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    That was true and that is why I said "until I ready to develop it or until I get my investment back". I do understand it would be really hard or even impossible to get the investment back when I bought domain (if I count only on domain parking).
    So do you think I should develop it?
    I am thinking it would be better to develop it but it would take some times because I have no knowledge and experience about the niche of the domain plus my English is not that good.
    My only option at this time (which I believe I have to do at this moment) is to keep it parked while I learn the niche (no time estimation, it could be next month or even next few years). If only I choose Law Department while in colleges, this confusion would never happened.

I do apology for the delay in replying your comment. I was writing and editing it multiple times.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  4. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I'm curious. Why did you spend so much on a domain name if you didn't have plans on developing it?

Were you thinking you'd flip it for a quick profit?

dcristo, Sep 17, 2016 IP
  5. Arick unirow

Arick unirow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Well, actually this is my mistake. Two of my primary sites have great increased revenues starting from second quarters this year. I am a typical person whom always willing to shop around when I had enough money in my hand (I knew this is bad and I am glad I have a wife who always teach me to keep saving the money)

I am starting to hunt more expensive domain names and meet few domain sales agents (once again this is a mistake as most of their offered inventories were not good plus it overpriced as well).

Few months ago, someone send me an email and asking whether I am interested with the domain in his portfolio. I am quickly reject it because the price is too big enough for my pocket. The seller understand my reason and ask me which domain I am interested in. I then choose five domains in two different niche(actually I am only interested with two domains). The seller thanks me even though I didn't purchase the domain. Seller promised to lower the price if he couldn't find the buyer for the domain selected by me.
    In first week of June, He sent me a price for the domains (five of them with different price on each one of them) but I quickly reply it if the price is still to expensive. He sent me many offer until the last week of previous month, he said the price is lowered even more. I couldn't resist myself to get the domain and that is why I bought it.

Before I bought the domain, I use Google Adwords keyword planner to check the 'search term' value of the niche. Keyword Planner showing me each click for that keyword is ranging from $88.37 to $94.63 and thus made me more excited. That is why I quickly bought the domain without even thinking to learn about the niche first.

My intention is to develop a website and monetize it using my existing adnetwork (Google, Bing, and affiliates). I underestimate the niche and thinking it would be so easy to learn (just like as another niche I have learnt earlier). But I was wrong. The more I learnt it, more I get lost on the topic. It seems Law is not something easy to be learnt. At least, not for me. About the parking decision, it is only to evaluate the domain (based on traffic and few things) until I ready to develop it (I usually doing this for my newly purchased domain).

I am also curious, click value on the keyword planner is not the same as the reality. But I am still happy buying it. I know it has great potential. I believe my decision to create great website on it is the best decision I ever made (even though my wife doesn't agree with me) :)
    When I bought domain or website, I always think it would be better to develop it into great site. I believe there would be better income if I develop the site rather than selling it.

This post maybe unreadable (unlike as my previous post, I publish it without doing extensive editing)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016