1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Joomla vs. Wordpress vs. Drupal

Discussion in 'Joomla' started by DTaylor82, Apr 18, 2016.

Good evening. I am a student who is conducting research on content management systems. My paper is an analysis of the three most popular web-based CMS -- Joomla, WordPress, and Drupal. One of my evaluative methods is to obtain expert opinions from web designers.

What are the major pros and cons of each of these three CMS?

The website I intend to build is simply a page for a chemical marketing business. It will contain an About Us page, a blog, and a product list.

Which of these CMS are most appropriate for this task and why? Please be as detailed as possible.

DTaylor82, Apr 18, 2016 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    It's a long time since I've used Joomla and I haven't done anything more than sniff around with Drupal.

For sites that need a ground up approach I use a framework called cakephp - but for something as vanilla as the site you mention I'd go with WordPress because
    • Users learn it really easily, Joomla used to be a nightmare for unconfident computer users.
    • Basic site installed and my standard set plugins activated, registered with Google Analytics & Webmaster tools in an hour
    • Able to have a static front page to introduce the company
    • Able to utilise off-the-shelf templates or get one built I'm then free to do what I do best and that is to analyse the right way to present the product list. It might be that woocommerce or wp-ecommerce is right, or I might need to write a custom plugin to upload the list, maintain it and present it to the world.
    There are people who denigrate WP (aka turdpress) but they can't get past the fact that it builds good sites fast. If the pages are bloated that is the selected theme, pick one that isn't. Focus on the core business and use tools like WP (and the rest) to free up time.

sarahk, Apr 18, 2016 IP
  3. naaveenkumar

naaveenkumar Member

Best Answers:
    wordpress is better than joomla and drupal in seo and plugin we canenhance the se in word pree with plugins and wordpress has more plugind than joomla and drupal

naaveenkumar, Apr 24, 2016 IP
  4. zakariakhan

zakariakhan Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    All three CMS that you mention are powerful but if you do more feature like seo and marketing for your website then I would like you to prefer WordPress seo because its a seo friendly CMS.It will give you more flexibility for publicity and develop seo for your website.

zakariakhan, Apr 25, 2016 IP
  5. nikipink

nikipink Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i like wordpress.
    easy to use
    easy to customize
    many free plugins & themes

nikipink, May 7, 2016 IP
  6. 3mints.info

3mints.info Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    In my opinion SEO is great for all three platforms in their latest update.
    People like wordpress because it is easy to use you don't need an expert to customize, so many plugins and themes for everyone, and hundred of tutorials.

3mints.info, May 7, 2016 IP
  7. Templatemesh

Templatemesh Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    We recommended Joomla and WordPress CMS templates and themes for any type of business

Templatemesh, May 21, 2016 IP
  8. Matthew Sayle

Matthew Sayle Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    This is an excellent post that I would like to bring back from the dead.

I really want to know, from an actual users perspective, WHY they choose Drupal or Joomla over Wordpress.

Is it because it's all you know? Or, have you actually used Wordpress and prefer the aforementioned CMS?

Matthew Sayle, Sep 9, 2016 IP
  9. bloggingmix

bloggingmix Active Member

Best Answers:
    WordPress is hands down the best CMS because it is flexible and powerful and continues to evolve. It's got one of the largest community, which is why it will remain as the best CMS. WP is the smart choice because it's got a friendly UX, it's easy to manage, it's used by the biggest brands online, it's powered by an active and supportive community! You really can't go wrong with WP.

bloggingmix, Sep 11, 2016 IP
  10. Mehdi.b

Mehdi.b Active Member

Best Answers:
    WordPress for life. I do not work with Drupal but have around 9 websites in Joomla and 20 in WordPress. Joomla has dropped the ball and here is why:
    . Joomla is not user friendly anymore, the amount of none essential coding required is now too much comparing to WordPress or even Business Catalyst.
    . What the hell is with all the positions now, due to over use of modules to load everything, it is slower and more complicated for clients to manage their website.
    . Bugs in the way articles are shown, I just shared my experience and an issue I have with Joomla at the moment in a post here. Joomla creates duplicate content just because it needs to show article IDs and that creates problems with SEO.
    . Dependency of styling to menu items is another issue.
    . All in all Joomla is not nice and easy to work with anymore, it is full of bugs, and developer community is not half as active as before.

Good luck with your study

Mehdi.b, Sep 12, 2016 IP
  11. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    @Mehdi.b - interesting feedback. I stopped using Joomla just after the fork from Mambo so was interested in your feedback. My reasons for ditching it then were
    1. too complicated for users who just wanted to publish a blog post or create a page on their site
    2. too much html in the "controller" so no matter how you set up your "view" you still had to edit the core files and therefore creating an upgrade problem

sarahk, Sep 12, 2016 IP
    Mehdi.b likes this.
  12. Mehdi.b

Mehdi.b Active Member

Best Answers:
    Oh god, do not get me started on upgrades. One line of customization and the whole world goes nuts if you upgrade.
    I look at it this way too, I have clients who need to have control over some content and it is important for me that they can actually make changes and do not be dependent on us, therefore user friendliness is extremely important but Joomla said Goodbye to that long time ago.

Mehdi.b, Sep 12, 2016 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  13. NuWebHosting

NuWebHosting Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Here's a good article for EXACTLY what you're inquiring about. https://www.iauthenticate.com/our-blog/58-joomla-vs-wordpress-vs-drupal

NuWebHosting, Oct 4, 2016 IP