1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Suggestion Established member, like counts or best answers?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by mrforum, Jul 9, 2016.

1. mrforum

mrforum Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    For the combination of factors which decides established member state, i would also suggest additional two factors:

1) Initiating a useful thread which gets viral / lot of messages
    2) Established member state should be dynamic based on their ongoing activity, if inactive for too long, it should be revoked and should earn it again,so that users will no loner be able to go free after getting 3 likes :)

mrforum, Jul 11, 2016 IP
  2. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Active Member

Best Answers:
    I personally think that users should not have to re-earn establishment.

CarpCharacin, Jul 12, 2016 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  3. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    One of the points of the like system is to reduce the numbers of spammers. Once you're in and have proved that you are not, that ought to be good enough.

Spoiltdiva, Jul 12, 2016 IP
  4. mrforum

Best Answers:
    But is it not possible to act good until getting the likes and then go spamming :)

mrforum, Jul 12, 2016 IP
  5. CarpCharacin

Best Answers:
    And why would someone do that? Sure it is possible, but it is not that likely.

6. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Spammers are not that dedicated and usually have a short shelf life. The like system has proved the test of time against spammers. When all is said and done the system has proved itself.

Spoiltdiva, Jul 12, 2016 IP
  7. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Personally I think the bar is too low, 3 likes really isn't hard to get, it should be at least 25 likes, yesterday I reported a bunch of web-host spammers all giving likes to each other, If the bar was higher they wouldn't have been able to get each other established like they did.

malky66, Jul 12, 2016 IP
    Arick unirow likes this.
  8. CarpCharacin

Best Answers:
    I think that 3 likes from 3 different members is enough. 25 likes from 25 different members would be really hard to get and someone would have to be REALLY determined to get that many likes and it would probably take years.

9. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Nah, not years, but some time would be needed. 25 is a bit high. An increase to 5 would probably not be too bad, though, and (while I'm guessing this is already possible), maybe a possible revocation of the established-status, if a member has repeated infractions. Not enough to get banned, but just enough to get multiple reports generated on posts.

If you look at my stats, I have 3705 posts, and 535 likes. That's about 7:1, so not that hard (it would mean that a user, given that the likes given has a constant ratio, would need to post about 175 posts to get 25 likes. Increase that a bit to count for fewer likes until the user has developed some klout, and you end up on 200-250 posts - not too hard to do, but still a bit of a stretch).

PoPSiCLe, Jul 12, 2016 IP
  10. CarpCharacin

Best Answers:
    But it is much easier to get likes once you are established. It is hard to get likes when you are not established.

11. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I have to disagree with this, if I see something worthy of a like I give it regardless of the users status, I must admit it's getting harder to actually find anything worth liking lately though.

malky66, Jul 12, 2016 IP
  12. mrforum

Best Answers:
    Yes, i also agree with that, the point that getting likes is easier after being an established member doesn't really make any sense, because likes received only based on the usefulness of a post, not based on user's status.

mrforum, Jul 12, 2016 IP
  13. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I agree to this, although both sides have a point. Getting the first likes CAN be harder, because you have to actually be helpful, write coherently and so on. Of course, that doesn't stop being true even when you ARE established, but when you already have a couple hundred likes on your profile, you start getting likes for less involved posts as well, which might be easier to get if you're already part of the community. However, most likes comes from actually useful posts, and the criteria for getting those aren't that different regardless of what status you have.

PoPSiCLe, Jul 13, 2016 IP