1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Pokemon Go

Discussion in 'Games' started by sarahk, Jul 6, 2016.

Has anyone tried it?
    My son is having heaps of problems with overloaded servers - he has 2 weeks of school holidays starting tomorrow and is excited to go exploring around the city looking for pokemon. Kind of odd for a 17yo but will be good to have him getting out and not just hidden away gaming.

sarahk, Jul 6, 2016 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I haven't tried it, but I know it's based on Ingress (a game I play). Ingress is probably the more adult version. Tell him to just play Ingress instead (and choose Enlightened/green). :)

On a side note, I have a website for Ingress users here (it's an analytics/alerting system): https://outgress.com/

digitalpoint, Jul 6, 2016 IP
  3. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I'll take a look at that. The graphics look good. Same company.

I must live in geeksville, there are 17 recent attacks within 5k. Are these all outgress users or just ingress players generally? I live near 2 tertiary institutes and one high school so I shouldn't be surprised.

sarahk, Jul 6, 2016 IP
  4. jv1999

jv1999 Active Member

Best Answers:
    That seriously sounds like so much fun.

But this could backfire pretty hard if your city doesn't have a lot of anime/gaming fans... you know the "popular" kids who'll stand there laughing as he's trying to catch imaginary pokemon.

jv1999, Jul 6, 2016 IP
  5. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    That's just Outgress users. There are a few in New Zealand I believe (I think more down towards Wellington)... but site was more or less just started, so... :)

I think March 10th was when it was opened to the public, so you can see the growth since then has been relatively exponential. https://outgress.com/stats/

Users in 37 countries feeding data into Outgress so far. :)

6. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    He's too old for that cool kid crap.
    I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking at these are all an easy day trip for me and represent "plenty to be getting on with"
    [​IMG]

sarahk, Jul 6, 2016 IP
  7. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    hah yep... that's Ingress. :) First things first... just get to level 8... you'll learn about the links and fields along the way. :) You'll see more as you zoom in on that intel map. The farther out you zoom, the less detail in an area you see (like you'll just see links over xxx km or something at that zoom level probably).

@Jenstar is the one that turned me on to the game last summer.

8. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    This is not good Shawn...
    Some guy has had the nerve to damage my stuff right after I'd set it up and it's cold and stormy and ... and I can't go out and deal to him
    I barely know what I'm doing and I'm already hooked!

sarahk, Jul 6, 2016 IP
  9. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Haha... well when you start playing, you take everything super personally. When I was level 8, I used to get in my car to take back portals down the street at 2am if someone hit them. Thankfully you get over the desire to go and defend at all hours... I think around level 9, I was over that... then about level 13 I realized that the more people tore down by stuff, the more AP (points needed to level) I got because you get more AP rebuilding than tearing down. :)

But I really didn't know what I was doing since no one told me how to do anything. I didn't know you got AP for blowing stuff up until I was level 6. And I was too scared to link anything until about level 5. Best thing to do is blow up what you can (tough when you are low level), slap resonators in everything and link everything you can. The real fun begins when you are level 8. ;)

10. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Those notifications saying -237% are real confidence boosters :)
    The tutorial is good - forces you to do things like link but doesn't cover mods so I'll have to suss that out.
    I've made it to level 2 in an afternoon and once I'm able I set to work on some farms.

sarahk, Jul 7, 2016 IP
  11. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    You know what's funny? I had thought about hitting you up telling you that you should play Ingress because I figured it would be something you would like. Then I always thought, "Nah... she'll get mad at me for giving her a new addiction."

But if you are going to bring it up (sorta) via Pokémon GO... well... you can't *totally* blame me then. ;)

BTW once you get past the learning stage, you'll really start to like/appreciate Outgress. :)

digitalpoint, Jul 7, 2016 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  12. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Anything a humble level 3 can do about this?

upload_2016-7-8_23-4-49.png

It's on an island that only has day trippers so hard to defend but completely blue right now. Would love to spread a little green.
    What happens to resonators when they run out of charge?

sarahk, Jul 8, 2016 IP
  13. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    You could kill it if you can physically get to it... but the game revolves around being *at* the portal, so if you can't get to it... :)

Resonators decay at 15% per day if no one recharges them (you need a key to the portal to remotely recharge it). If resonators get to 0% health (from decay or attack), they disappear. If the portal has less than 3 resonators remaining, all the links die. If the portal has 0 resonators, it goes neutral (and can be captured by anyone there).

digitalpoint, Jul 8, 2016 IP
  14. danasurvey

danasurvey Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Have you played Pokémon Go yet?

danasurvey, Jul 11, 2016 IP
  15. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I can't believe how social it is. Went to a neighbouring city last night and met so many groups of people walking around at 9pm - lovely evening, clear and windless but frigidly cold and dark at 6pm. Spotted a guy attacking a gym. Everyone seems happy to stop and exchange a few words. You'd never normally do that on a Monday evening. It's school holidays here and you see bunches of teenaged boys obviously playing but they're out and about together instead of stuck at home gaming.

Had a cute case of "not what you think". Was doing a hike and what seemed like an Asian couple passed us and we heard "Pokemon Go" as they talked to each other and we laughed. They stopped and chatted and it turned out they were actually English and he was desperate to get the game but connected to the English game store so couldn't. I suspect his memories of NZ will be a weird kind of torture seeing so many people playing and him not being able to. And yes, it is "so many", it's ridiculous the uptake of the game. No wonder the servers are constantly crashing.

Here's how my son is doing...

[​IMG]

sarahk, Jul 11, 2016 IP
    danasurvey likes this.
  16. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I love the sense of fun these people have - lots of kids haven't been to a library since they were little and this gets them back in the door, if only for a minute or two.

[​IMG]

sarahk, Jul 12, 2016 IP
  17. stratjr123

stratjr123 Peon

Best Answers:
    been waiting on this game since September and they ain't make it available for my country yet, These guys must hate the Caribbean. What am I to do with my life until it comes out?

stratjr123, Jul 16, 2016 IP
  18. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Ingress - if nothing else you'll learn where the Gyms and Pokestops will be.

sarahk, Jul 16, 2016 IP
  19. DaniaLLL

DaniaLLL Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am going to install it as well have seen to much post related to this in social media i think your issue is also one of this reason there are to many peoples jumping on there server at the same time that causing the issue

DaniaLLL, Jul 17, 2016 IP
  20. Frost1

Frost1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you're using an Android device, just download and install the apk. You'll need to have a jailbroken iPhone/iPod to do something similar to get it.

I heard it'll go international soon though. It was recently made available in parts of Europe and that was the beginning of its international release.

Frost1, Jul 17, 2016 IP
    sarahk likes this.